Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 8 faults

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2014-May-14, 07:51

Just bought a copy of windows 8 here in Mongolia and installed it. My wifi adapter has now permanently disabled itself, and equally frustrating, my office has broken itself too. So I'm left with a computer that cannot open my documents and cannot connect to the internet?

Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 12:57

View Postmr1303, on 2014-May-14, 07:51, said:

Just bought a copy of windows 8 here in Mongolia and installed it. My wifi adapter has now permanently disabled itself, and equally frustrating, my office has broken itself too. So I'm left with a computer that cannot open my documents and cannot connect to the internet?

Any suggestions?

Buy a Mac? B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-14, 12:58

Any suggestions?

I am using windows 8 and old version of office works just fine. As for your wifi adapter, clearly you have internet access, probably through an network cable. Can you check for an updated driver for your wifi and download it. Perhaps Barry or some of the tech type people will have better advice, but Office 2007 works just fine with windows 8
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-May-14, 14:58

Hi,

I have Laptop with Win 8.1, works ok.

I am using Libre Office, but would be suprised if Office 2007 does not work well,
at least in the XP comp. mode, it should and will.

Regarding Wifi:

If you have a former Windows Version, you could use Oracle VW VirtualBox, to install
a comp. with Win ???, the adapter should work at least for this machine, but I dont have
a lot of exp. with hardware.
You could also go Linux with Oracle VW VirtualBox.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-14, 18:07

I have a laptop with 8.1 and an old version of office - no problems at all. The driver problem should not be an issues as Win 8 supports most legacy drivers. As Ben suggests above, why not try reinstalling your driver.
The Mac suggestion was extremely unhelpful - no surprise. Macs have more than their share of problems.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2014-May-15, 05:04

@ Ben - I was using my mobile to post here, not my laptop sadly.

My Office 2010 has completely been deleted - I bought my laptop pre-installed with it, so I haven't got any installation CDs or anything.

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-May-15, 06:41

First things first, I don't know diddly. But what strikes me is this: You paid someone some money for this, didn't you? Are they of no help? My garage door opener recently decided that when I would close the door it would immediately open it again. I called the company and a very competent person named Loretta helped me turn the right screws to fix this. It seems right to expect such service. I am not naive, I know this doesn't always happen, but it seems right to expect it.
Ken

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-15, 22:32

View Postmr1303, on 2014-May-15, 05:04, said:

@ Ben - I was using my mobile to post here, not my laptop sadly.

My Office 2010 has completely been deleted - I bought my laptop pre-installed with it, so I haven't got any installation CDs or anything.

Very unusual to wipe your programs clean when you install an updated software. The last time I had trouble like that was when I went from window 3.1 or whatever the early version was to some newer version.

Ideally, you are a registered user of 2010 and if you write Microsoft or your lap top provider they might be able to help you. In theory when you bought the laptop they asked you to make backup disk (or you might have a partitition on your C drive with the backup of the initial installation. You might be able to go back to where you were before you updated, but I would talk with someone very technical about this (other than getting a restore copy from Microsoft, that should be easy enough if you chat with the right people.

Good luck with it.
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-16, 19:25

Ok when you do an installation of an operating system you have a couple of choices; one is an upgrade and the other is a totally new installation which wipes everything. It would seem that you have inadvertantly done the latter. There is no recovery from this.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 03:22

Any suggestions?

When my computer upgraded to 8.1, my wifi adapter decided he didn't like several routers, specially those from the hotels.

It took me a lot to find the answer, and it is to install an old driver of the wifi adapter, not the one for windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users