• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing or not forcing question.

#1 User is offline   Adam1105 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 05:48

I think North's, me, 1 bid is forcing. My partner, south, said it wasn't. Who is right?

Thanks very much.

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-06, 06:05

Under normal agreements (dbl = 4 spades, 1 = 5 cards) the bid is somewhat strange.

I wouldn't say it's 100% forcing, but I would never think of passing this because there's no telling what responder might be up to :)

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-January-06, 06:17

This auction is very peculiar. I disagree with whereagles - under normal agreements, a negative double of 1 shows both majors - typically 44. A free bid of a major shows 4+ cards. So it would be normal on this auction to bid 1 on the North hand over 1, which would be forcing.

Having not chosen the 1 bid initially, the subsequent 1 bid must be a forward going bid with a heart fit. Therefore, it is forcing, but it shows an entirely different hand than the one shown in the OP.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 06:21

View PostAdam1105, on 2015-January-06, 05:48, said:

I think North's, me, 1 bid is forcing. My partner, south, said it wasn't. Who is right?

The first question is whether you agree on the meaning of the double?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 06:31

as others said, the standard meaning for double is 44 in the majors. you should address that before you consider this sequence.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-06, 07:13

If you play negative free bids, double then bid = strong; bid directly = non-forcing. I haven't seen it at 1st level though, and this is not a style most people would assume as "standard".

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-06, 07:27

View PostArtK78, on 2015-January-06, 06:17, said:

I disagree with whereagles - under normal agreements, a negative double of 1 shows both majors - typically 44.

You're right. I saw the auction wrong.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-January-06, 08:21

For me 2 is the only forcing bid here. 1 is an impossible bid so perhaps it should be forcing but I you can't play it without agreements.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-January-06, 11:49

After 1 - 1 - ?, a Double should show at least 4+ cards in both majors. With a 1 bid responding hand (5-9 value), responder may even have 5+ cards in one of the majors -- choosing to show both majors rather bid the longer and risk losing a fit in the other major.

If Double shows both majors, then a simple major bid over 1 doesn't guarantee anymore than 4+ cards. 1 would be the bid I would make with the North hand.

The problem with the South hand, IMO, is that it isn't and never would be an opening hand for me. Bean counters may adjudge it a 12 HCP hand, but with 5 quacks, it looks more like about a 10 pointer to me. It also only has 1 QT not enough for 1 bid opener IMO.

With less than an opener, I wouldn't nail South for passing 1 even if it is forcing. The pass says exactly that South has -- less than a normal opening -- a hand where game may not make even opposite a responding hand equivalent to an opener. It also indicates some tolerance for s.

If you have an agreement that the double shows at least one 4 card major, but not necessarily both, then I would think that 1 simply shows 4+ and less than 4 and would be nonforcing. That would allow you to find a fit when one exists without getting too high when you have less than invitational values (i.e. enough to force for at least 1 round).

#10 User is offline   Adam1105 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:18

My neg. dbl is showing "a" four card major.

"The Bridge Guys," (a pretty reliable source, I think) specifically says a "negative double" does not mean 44 in majors. It states that one four card major is 100% OK for my neg. dbl after my opp's one diamond.

Larry Cohen, though, says that it DOES mean 44 in majors.

Obviously I like the "free bid" style of showing one major. (It was a BBO tourney and no agreement, of course.)

My thinking was: "My partner answered with his 4 card Heart suit so, easily at the "1 level," I showed my 4 card Spade suit because my partner could also have a 4 card spade suit."

Question: If one plays with the idea that a negative double equals 44 in majors, then what should I bid and instead of "double" after opps 1? How can we find a major fit? If there were one there?

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:36

View PostAdam1105, on 2015-January-06, 13:18, said:

"The Bridge Guys," (a pretty reliable source, I think) specifically says a "negative double" does not mean 44 in majors. It states that one four card major is 100% OK for my neg. dbl after my opp's one diamond.

Does it? I checked their article, I didn't see anything about promising only one major after 1 overcall. Their example auction with this in an appeal case had both majors.

In any case, it's only one site, and the vast majority of better players play that the double promises both majors after one diamond. Over higher level overcalls of the other minor, only one major is promised, though one is supposed to have a plan if partner bids the "wrong" major (bid NT, support opener's minor).

Question: If one plays with the idea that a negative double equals 44 in majors, then what should I bid and instead of "double" after opps 1? How can we find a major fit? If there were one there?

Just bid one spade. Which is forcing and only shows four after 1.

#12 User is offline   Adam1105 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 13:48

I double checked bridge guys, and you may be right, stephen tu. My bad on that point, I guess. Well, I will strive to play neg. doubles that way now.

#13 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-06, 15:45

Can we make a double with 5-4 in the majors? If so, with which strength?

I would take it as 5-4 and probably forcing.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-January-06, 16:04

I would take it as 5=4 and non-forcing. The only reason not to bid 1 with 5=4 would be that I am afraid I am not strong enough to make a second bid in competition, and would therefore miss hearts.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#15 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-06, 20:49

If you want to force, why not bid 2? Do you hate your partner?

I play an unusual system over OPPs 1 bid so my call is 2 (GF -- inv minors sys on over 1 level interference). I think most would bid 1S (F1) at the first round.

When the OPPs have been in the auction, use the Q bid as unconditional force and anything else can be less than that. Or at least that's my philosophy. I try to build a fence around my partners whenever possible and prevent them from making a mistake if I can.

#16 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2015-January-07, 03:13

View Postbiggerclub, on 2015-January-06, 20:49, said:

If you want to force, why not bid 2? Do you hate your partner?

No, but I hate dumping every strong hand into a nebulous cue bid.

In general it sounds like a good idea to have some natural forcing bids. At least I think so. Posted Image

#17 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-January-07, 05:59

View Postrmnka447, on 2015-January-06, 11:49, said:

After 1 - 1 - ?, a Double should show at least 4+ cards in both majors. With a 1 bid responding hand (5-9 value), responder may even have 5+ cards in one of the majors -- choosing to show both majors rather bid the longer and risk losing a fit in the other major.

If Double shows both majors, then a simple major bid over 1 doesn't guarantee anymore than 4+ cards. 1 would be the bid I would make with the North hand.

The problem with the South hand, IMO, is that it isn't and never would be an opening hand for me. Bean counters may adjudge it a 12 HCP hand, but with 5 quacks, it looks more like about a 10 pointer to me. It also only has 1 QT not enough for 1 bid opener IMO.

With less than an opener, I wouldn't nail South for passing 1 even if it is forcing. The pass says exactly that South has -- less than a normal opening -- a hand where game may not make even opposite a responding hand equivalent to an opener. It also indicates some tolerance for s.

If you have an agreement that the double shows at least one 4 card major, but not necessarily both, then I would think that 1 simply shows 4+ and less than 4 and would be nonforcing. That would allow you to find a fit when one exists without getting too high when you have less than invitational values (i.e. enough to force for at least 1 round).

This post saved me a lot of typing. I agree with every word.

#18 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 10:05

View PostAdam1105, on 2015-January-06, 13:18, said:

This is a popular approach in my local club, with the direct bid of a major promising a five-card suit and forcing for one round. They would all play 1 as natural and forcing in the sequence given. It is not a strong club and I would not recommend it, but they are happy with it.

Although Stephen is probably right that the vast majority of better players play double showing both majors, I reckon an increasing number are playing double as a transfer to hearts.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#19 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 10:23

It's all a matter of style. With my regular partner we play an immediate bid of a new suit as non forcing (although could still be reasonable values) whilst a double followed by a new suit is forcing. However others play it the other way around. With an unfamiliar partner I would treat the current sequence as forcing as passing could risk missing game if partner also assumed it to be so.

#20 User is offline   masonbarge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-07, 12:30

From the ACBL site:

Responder’s Rebid after Making a Negative Double

With a minimum hand (6 to 9 total points:

• Pass opener’s minimum rebid.
• Give a simple preference to opener’s original suit, or
• Bid a new suit without a jump.

So the basic rule is that this sequence is not only not forcing, but partner would be justified in thinking it is a minimum, with five spades and four hearts. Absent any other agreement, that's how I would take it.

And in general terms of preventing confusion, don't ever assume a bid at the one-level is forcing!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users