BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Upgraded: ACBL IT, Friends/Followed/Ignored Players - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Upgraded: ACBL IT, Friends/Followed/Ignored Players Version 1.48j is here!

#61 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 07:52

View PostFM75, on 2015-January-13, 20:56, said:

Logoff after changing your settings. That has been mentioned several times and in many threads. Don't just click the X or close. Once you have saved your settings, then you can just close the window afterwards.

So don't you think that might indicate there really is a problem? Anyway, it's a small annoyance with an easy work-around, clearly a bug that will shortly be fixed.

#62 User is offline   watchingtv 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 08:24

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-January-12, 15:53, said:

Please discuss the latest version of BBO here.

Main changes are:
  • ACBL Instant Tournaments
  • Friends, Followed Players, Ignored Players

See release notes here.

The Robots in the acbl instant tournaments all bid differently for no apparent reason. This happens fairly regularly. I am going back to the regular acbl Robot tournaments until further notice

#63 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 09:42

I also think the friends/ followers "feature" is absolutely horrible and would be happy to see it rolled back. I have enjoyed almost all of the improvements of the web version in recent years, but this is really pretty bad IMHO.

#64 User is offline   sner66 

• Pip

Posted 2015-January-14, 09:42

The instant ACBL tournaments are very nice; main advantages are
1. No wait for next tourney to start
2. If you get called away from computer you do not have to worry about time
3. At "slow times" you don't have to decide between playing in a 6-person event or waiting 15 min for next tourney
4. Flexibility to pick between IMPs and mps

To those who think its not "real":
1. Really no difference than playing in live tourney; you are just "time-shifting" much like using a DVR for your favorite TV show; it's not a different show than had you watched it live. If the same players were playing these hands with you "live" you would achieve the same results.
2. Maybe GIB bid differently when tourney was first played but you know how GIB bids now and can take that into account. Much like saying you can only play with partner A because partner B bids differently. True, for a given hand, the A and B systems may give different results, but net/net it will average out between good/bad and no difference.

Good job BBO! (only downside is that in the two instants I've played--> the ghost of Leo past has been in both! :rolleyes: )

#65 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-January-14, 09:45

View PostFinder01, on 2015-January-13, 12:52, said:

I like having that choice. The real downside is the changes in GIB creating a different result.

That's not new. The old Instant Tournaments had the same problem. When we first created ITs, we used tournaments from several years earlier, so there were lots of GIB changes. Over time we've added more recent tournaments to the database, so there have been fewer GIB changes.

I've found that sometimes this works in your favor, sometimes against. I haven't kept statistics, so I don't know how closely they cancel out. It feels like it works against more, but that may just be a subjective impression -- people tend to remember disasters more than successes.

#66 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-January-14, 09:50

View Postmatmat, on 2015-January-14, 03:44, said:

... I suggest also a list of "stalkers" who are people that we have marked to ignore/enemy and who have decided to follow us.
This should not be possible; if Mary marks John as "ignore", Mary should also automatically be removed/disallowed from John's "followed" list.

#67 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-January-14, 09:58

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-14, 09:50, said:

This should not be possible; if Mary marks John as "ignore", Mary should also automatically be removed/disallowed from John's "followed" list.

What's the point? Even if they're following you, they can't bother you because we block chat and email from enemies.

I think people who object to the privacy violation in the new friends/following distinction would consider the above even worse. If there's anyone you don't want to know about your preferences, it seems like it would be those you've marked as enemies.

#68 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:00

Oh well...I just lost a wife due to this new change when she saw i did not friend her but my ex was in my friend list. I also lost profit by losing my real life customers for not marking them as friend.
I will sue BBO. Someone has to pay my losses.
All made up and joke of course. Posted Image And I personally like this new feature. But if I were decision maker in BBO, I would never let myself wide open to such kind of silly claims.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#69 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:04

I think BBO can solve this by simply adding another button which leaves the choice of using this feature to the user. This way people who thinks this is privacy issue can turn off this feature and people who likes it can let it on.

When it is off, people can not see your friend/follower preferences. This makes both worlds happy. No?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#70 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:16

View PostMrAce, on 2015-January-14, 10:04, said:

When it is off, people can not see your friend/follower preferences. This makes both worlds happy. No?

I'm not sure how that would work. Should there be a "Don't know" list? Then they'll know that you've turned on this option, which seems like another privacy violation.

#71 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:24

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-14, 10:16, said:

I'm not sure how that would work. Should there be a "Don't know" list? Then they'll know that you've turned on this option, which seems like another privacy violation.

No imo. Declaring that you do not allow people to see your preferences should not be a privacy violation. Just like some people like to share their email address on their card and some don't. Some people share their nationality and some don't. Just like some choose to show "private" for their skill level. If all these are not privacy issues, I can't see how this would be one. And if one chooses to allow this feature, then he has no reason to complain for.Posted Image

#72 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-14, 10:32

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-14, 09:58, said:

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-14, 09:50, said:

View Postmatmat, on 2015-January-14, 03:44, said:

I suggest also a list of "stalkers" who are people that we have marked to ignore/enemy and who have decided to follow us.

What's the point? Even if they're following you, they can't bother you because we block chat and email from enemies.

I think people who object to the privacy violation in the new friends/following distinction would consider the above even worse. If there's anyone you don't want to know about your preferences, it seems like it would be those you've marked as enemies.

I guess I failed to include the "hiding" suggestion in this previous thread:
http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry766914

#73 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 15:20

I found a new bug in the friends list sorted for categories. When more friends are online as can be showed at once there is a scroll bar at the right side but disappears when trying to use it. In the end only some of the friends are shown not all. That problem is simultaneously to the one with multiple view of friends.

Additional the number of categorized friends/followers is not correct. So I will not see if someone is online out of categories where only followers are online? Absolutely not helpful and misguiding as I use categories to identify some players where I watch their play or lessons. Now I will no longer see when they are online without opening the category. I would really appreciate when you add the number of friends and followers that are shown in categories.

Obviously the status of the friends/followers is not updated when shown in categories. I have a lot where the status says "online" but when I open the profile it says "offline".

#74 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 16:12

View Postbarmar, on 2015-January-14, 09:45, said:

That's not new. The old Instant Tournaments had the same problem. When we first created ITs, we used tournaments from several years earlier, so there were lots of GIB changes. Over time we've added more recent tournaments to the database, so there have been fewer GIB changes.

I've found that sometimes this works in your favor, sometimes against. I haven't kept statistics, so I don't know how closely they cancel out. It feels like it works against more, but that may just be a subjective impression -- people tend to remember disasters more than successes.

On the reasonable assumption that new GIB releases fix bugs and make bidding and play improvements, every new GIB version should be expected to play better than the previous version. If you have to play against stronger GIBs, you aren't playing on a level playing field. Players should be informed about which GIB version was played in the tournament and given the option to choose whether they only want to play against the most recent tournaments played with the latest GIBs.

#75 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-January-14, 16:45

View Postjohnu, on 2015-January-14, 16:12, said:

Players should be informed about which GIB version was played in the tournament and given the option to choose whether they only want to play against the most recent tournaments played with the latest GIBs.

This is very simple... if you want to only play in tournaments involving the most recent GIBs, do not register for Instant Tournaments. It appears to me that every hour there are 16 BBO Robot Dupes (excluding the two free ones that fill up very quickly) plus 12 ACBL Robot Dupes.

#76 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 17:25

I did not even notice the Friends/Followers until I saw this thread. Even then I had to look for it. My normal Who's Online is the Sort by category tab (Mentors, Authors, BIL, Family, Expert, Precision, and uncategorized friends).

Friends/Followers is on the Sort by name and Sort by status tabs. I guess it is nice. Frankly, I am not losing sleep over what other people think about me. So no drama here!

That said, one of my favorite non-fiction books was http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0393320928 .

Thanks to BBO for asking my opinion. It is nice to know that you care. Keep up the good work. More non-speedball ACBL, if you can. :)

#77 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2015-January-14, 17:41

Bug report:
When making a new table(maybe goes for Team matches and tournament invites as well) it does not show up people in your friends list when you want to type someones username, but shows up the people in your follow list. Maybe this is intentional as we should know the usernames of people in our friends list by heart, but who knows!

#78 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-14, 19:45

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-January-14, 16:45, said:

This is very simple... if you want to only play in tournaments involving the most recent GIBs, do not register for Instant Tournaments. It appears to me that every hour there are 16 BBO Robot Dupes (excluding the two free ones that fill up very quickly) plus 12 ACBL Robot Dupes.

Later in the night PST the ACBL games dwindle to next to nothing (and IIRC the BBO paid ones as well). Many tournaments don't have anybody signing up and the others only have a couple of tables so the rewards are drastically slashed due to low table count. So if you want to play in a full award game (e.g. 15+ tables) at these times, your only choice would be instant tournaments. I played in some some BBO instant tournaments last year, but gave up when my GIB opponents played substantially better than the GIBs in the original tournaments.

#79 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-January-14, 20:05

!. Smile at those that have validated me as friends.

2. Insta unfriend those rats that I am following. The nerve!

3. Friend/defriend those that might have listed me as friends. Dont want any hurt feelings.

If there are any forumers that are following me, let me know and I will add you... :rolleyes:
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#80 User is offline   mthalesh 

• Pip

Posted 2015-January-14, 21:53

Instant tournament is bunch of garbage. Who ever designed bidding by robot must have their head examined

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users