BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 905 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#18081 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Yesterday, 19:52

Chuck Marr, Director of Federal Tax Policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities said:

Stars are aligning to rebuild the IRS & address tax gap. Here’s our take on need for multi-year discretionary cap adjustment, & a multiyear mandatory funding stream to help pay for recovery legislation– to be combined with increased reporting requirements.

Rebuilding IRS Would Reduce Tax Gap, Help Replenish Depleted Revenue Base

Posted Image

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#18082 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Today, 07:31

I think the weakening of the IRS has been a disaster. I hope it gets fixed.

As I have said boringly often, I don't fret about other people having more money than I do. And I expect to be taxed, someone has to pay for what we want done. however the rich are undertaxed to start with, and they have ways to get around taxes by clever legal maneuvers. If it also becomes the case that they regualrly dodge taxes illegally with little fear of being caught, this will be very bad for how I and many others see our government.

Of course I know people often read tax rules imaginatively and sometimes get away with it. I don't demand perfection. But I am getting the idea that holding millionaires to the tax laws today is like it was holding speakeasies to the liquor laws in the 20s. This is not good.

Added: Sure, I realize "millionaire" does not mean what it meant in the time of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I am using it to mean those with ridiculous wealth.
Ken

Share this topic:

• 905 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

29 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. RichMor,
  2. Google,
  3. Winstonm