BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#2541 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-08, 10:52

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-07, 13:30, said:

I am certain that if I ask the intelligent successful people at my conservative meeting, they will provide me with information showing that Soros is trying to take the country down, or has successfully taken other countries down, and it will be equally relatively easy to check the veracity of their statements.

To me, it seems pointless for me to try to prove either side of the argument to the other side; for as you won't believe any of the articles they present me with, they won't like your sources either.

Carl Sagan had a quote that's apropos: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

A single investor taking down an entire country is a very unlikely event. The market is just too big for one guy, even a billionaire, to have that much influence. So you can't just say "People on both sides of the debate have made their case, it's pointless for me try to to prove which one is true." The ones who are making the case for the more incredible claim have a higher burden of proof.

The problem comes when you're already biased one way. Your preconceptions blind you to how incredulous some of these claims are.

#2542 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-08, 11:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-November-08, 09:22, said:

With several Western countries, including USA, being infested by fascist movements on the brink of grabbing power, maybe it helps a little to listen to the imprecions of someone who studied democracy's response to crises in places like Indonesia and Canada, where it survived, at least for now: http://www.npr.org/2...cracys-problems

I listened to most of it. The reason it is "most" rather than "all" is that the internet connection (tv, phone and internet actually) has been crashing, starting yesterday and going on today. It's back up again now, as you see.

Generally I liked what I heard until it crashed. So did Becky. At first, not so much. I'll explain.

When he started speaking of crises in Canada, I thought surely he was referring to the Quebec movement for secession. He did mention that issue, but much later. The internet crash came just a little after that point so I'll have to get back to it.

He mentioned that Canada has more foreign born citizens, percentage-wise I suppose, than France. This did not surprise me. When he compared Canada with the U.S., he switched the basis of comparison. Canada has more Syrian refugees than the U.S. Yes, I knew that, but if he is going to compare the percentage of foreign born when comparing with France, perhaps he should keep the same basis of comparison when comparing Canada to the U.S.? But ok, he is trying to make a point. This shifting of the bases of comparison weakens his point for me, but I live with it.

I largely agree with his overall thinking, and I will listen to the rest of his talk. And maybe to the other TED talks of the same collection as well. He speaks of optimism, I don't really share it, but no matter, we had better get to work on the assumption that we can handle our problems and with the intention of doing so. The alternatives are pretty grim.
Ken

#2543 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 12:11

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-08, 10:52, said:

The ones who are making the case for the more incredible claim have a higher burden of proof.
That in itself is open to interpretation. For example, IMO the person who assumes that a politician is NOT corrupt is trying to make the more incredible case and needs the higher burden of proof. That would probably not be the popular opinion.

#2544 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-November-08, 15:40

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-07, 13:30, said:

I am certain that if I ask the intelligent successful people at my conservative meeting, they will provide me with information showing that Soros is trying to take the country down, or has successfully taken other countries down, and it will be equally relatively easy to check the veracity of their statements.

To me, it seems pointless for me to try to prove either side of the argument to the other side; for as you won't believe any of the articles they present me with, they won't like your sources either.

Completely independently of whether this is a conservative view or a liberal view, I hope you will consider how it sounds to a person without strong ideological leanings. It comes across as:

"I have sources that I won't tell you about that have told me things that I am not saying that could be checked and shown to be true but nobody will believe me even though I am right".

I talk often with people who think differently than I do, on various topics and in various directions, and we have interesting discussions.Such discussions don't go like this one has been going. I actually enjoy hearing from people who think differently than I do, but this is going nowhere fast.

It is just a fact that views such as "Soros is trying to take the country down" are going to be a tough sell. For example, I have no idea how I might argue that he is not trying to do so. But I also don't know how i would argue that Paul Ryan is not trying to take the country down. I don't know how I would argue that the Clintons didn't kill Vince Foster. Or kill Justice Scalia.. or, or , or. You get the idea. It's a fool's game to try to rebut every extreme idea.

I trust that you already know that Barack Obama is gay and Michelle is a transvestite?
Ken

#2545 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 17:07

What's a decent source to follow results? News coverage over here is crap.

#2546 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-08, 17:22

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-November-08, 17:07, said:

What's a decent source to follow results? News coverage over here is crap.

The Atlantic has a good live blog https://www.theatlan...clinton/505442/

I'm fond of the Keeping It 1600 podcast and they're going to be live streaming on FB

I am watching PBS on the TV
Alderaan delenda est

#2547 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 17:24

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-November-08, 17:22, said:

The Atlantic has a good live blog https://www.theatlan...clinton/505442/

I'm fond of the Keeping It 1600 podcast and they're going to be live streaming on FB

I am watching PBS on the TV

Thanks

#2548 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-08, 17:33

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-November-08, 17:24, said:

Thanks

Oh yeah, I am also streaming Rick and Morty!

Everyone get schwifty!
Alderaan delenda est

#2549 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 17:55

View Postkenberg, on 2016-November-08, 15:40, said:

I trust that you already know that Barack Obama is gay and Michelle is a transvestite?
No, I didn't know that, but I don't think I'll post that because my detractors will point out that kenberg isn't a reliable source :D

#2550 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 17:55

View Postkenberg, on 2016-November-08, 15:40, said:

No, I didn't know that, but I don't think I'll post that because my detractors will point out that kenberg isn't a reliable source :D

#2551 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-08, 20:31

This is like a bad dream. Donald Trump was right, actually about the election being rigged -- by the FBI.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2552 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 20:34

Ok our ass is being kicked badly so far.
Oh well...
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2553 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-November-08, 20:49

"Alexa, book me a one-way ticket to Canada".

I laughed at this ad.

As I sit scared sh!tless.....
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2554 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-08, 20:54

View PostPhil, on 2016-November-08, 20:49, said:

"Alexa, book me a one-way ticket to Canada".

I laughed at this ad.

As I sit scared sh!tless.....

This is way closer than I had hoped.

However, it looks as if VA is holding. PA should as well...

To me, the really scary thing is how successful both sides were at mobilizing their vote and how polarized things are. No matter who wins, we're in for some real ugliness...
Alderaan delenda est

#2555 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 21:30

Hope everyone else is enjoying this glorious evening as much as I am!
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2556 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-08, 22:03

Some more than others....
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#2557 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-08, 22:03

Michigan hangs in the balance and could be decisive.

#2558 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 22:09

I wonder if the MSM is still making it seem close just to avoid looking so foolish or because they want people to keep watching.

The fat lady has sung.

http://www.nytimes.c...ecast/president
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2559 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-08, 22:22

Az is going DT. No need for hanging chads this time in Fla but it is still very close.

#2560 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-November-08, 22:25

This is not going well. Well, not from my view. Bedtime for me, perhaps a miracle will occur while I sleep. I have always wished for the best for every president, and I am too old to change that now. But I am not happy.
Ken

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

148 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 148 guests, 0 anonymous users