BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#8661 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-27, 15:57

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-26, 20:28, said:

I believe that every individual is sovereign. By that I mean that every individual has a right to attempt to survive, that every individual owns their own body, that every individual owns the products of their own labor, mental or physical, and nobody else has a legitimate claim against those things. By the same token, an individual has no legitimate claim against those same things owned by other individuals.

Emphasis mine... note that this statement directly makes a case for the pro-choice position on abortion. A woman owns her own body and nobody else (including a fetus) has a legitimate claim against that. The fetus might have a right to attempt to survive (outside the womb) but except very late in a pregnancy this is just impossible.

Note that one of the big "wins" for Trump was appointing Neil Gorsuch, and that many voters supported Trump specifically because they were worried about the abortion issue if another liberal Justice were appointed. it is interesting to see such a statement from you.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8662 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:06

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 15:33, said:

How does the old saying go...

Congratulations on concluding this experiment so efficiently.

(Though honestly, asserting that paying taxes violates your own personal morals was pretty much equally effective at shutting down intelligent conversation)

You evaded the question again. Would you use the same reasoning?

and so, you are saying that using force (robbery) or the threat of force (extortion) to extract money from unwilling citizens is well within your moral code? That is good to know about you.

#8663 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:10

View Postawm, on 2017-December-27, 15:57, said:

Emphasis mine... note that this statement directly makes a case for the pro-choice position on abortion. A woman owns her own body and nobody else (including a fetus) has a legitimate claim against that. The fetus might have a right to attempt to survive (outside the womb) but except very late in a pregnancy this is just impossible.

Note that one of the big "wins" for Trump was appointing Neil Gorsuch, and that many voters supported Trump specifically because they were worried about the abortion issue if another liberal Justice were appointed. it is interesting to see such a statement from you.

You raise a very contentious issue, even among libertarians. I don't personally have any axe to grind on the issue but pro-choice does follow from the concept that a woman owns her body. But you will find plenty of libertarians on the other side of the issue as well.

#8664 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:18

View Postcherdano, on 2017-December-27, 15:56, said:

1. I think quite a few people who object to ldrews being called "troll" don't understand the term. It's not a meaningless insult, but rather has a fairly precise meaning.
A troll is someone who tries to sabotage discussion by generating outrage. This is done by posting insincere opinions or provocative opinions, not for the purpose of generating more interesting discussion, but in order to generate outrage. I.e., they are trying to get the discussion off track by making posts that pretend to be genuine opinions, but in fact are just made because they hope they would make other posters upset.

2. I get the sense that many of the moderators haven't read as many ldrews posts as, e.g., Zel. If Zel's seemingly infinite patience (see e.g. the climate change thread) finally runs out with someone and he starts calling them an f*cking a*hole trollish piece of s*t, then maybe it is worth consider the possibility that this someone has proved again and again that their role in this forum is to choose to be a f*cking a*hole trollish piece of s*t. This may or may not have anything to do with their real life personality; for all we know they may have chosen a more productive role even in online forum under other circumstances (say, a forum with actual moderation). But it should be a strong suggestion about their BBF personality.

If you don't think it is accurate to call ldrews a "troll", maybe you should revisit the post where he suggested that NFL players who choose to kneel peacefully during the national anthem at NFL games should be called "terrorists". Maybe, like nige1, you really think that there is value to be gained by discussing the subtle differences between a group of people conspiring to kill large numbers of civilians in order to terrorise an entire population, and a group choosing to kneel down during the national anthem. Maybe ldrews thinks that. Maybe ldrews really thinks they should both be labelled "terrorists". Personally, I don't think ldrews is that idiotic, and he only posted it because he thought it might beget upset responses from BBF posters sympathetic to the BLM cause.

There is a reason trolls get banned in well-moderated forums - their existence makes the discussion worse. That's not an unfortunate side effect of their contributions - it is their goal.

Of course, banning trolls is a hassle for moderators (they might try to come back etc.), and hence there are good selfish reasons for BBF moderators not to ban trolls. But I would be a little more sympathetic if they were able to admit that the only reason not to ban trolls is the hassle involved - BBF itself would undoubtedly be better off if trolls were to get banned.

I would think that if you consider me a troll and that my posts have no value, that you would simply ignore me. I do try to ask provocative questions to further meaningful discussion. Otherwise what seems to occur is endless repetition of echo chamber opinions.

So please, put me on ignore.

#8665 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:28

If you cut through the horse dung of libertarian ideology, you find at its heart the juvenile arrogance of self-importance.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8666 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:28

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 15:14, said:

Alternatively, if you are going to live in a country, you are damn well expected to live by its laws, ridiculous claims about your moral right to violate them aside...

In the US the prevailing social contract is that a woman may have an early term abortion. This is established law and has been so for many years. So why are there still protesters around abortion clinics? Aren't you saying that those protesters should stop protesting or leave the US? After all, they are expected to abide by the social contract regardless of their "ridiculous" claims of morality.

#8667 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:37

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-27, 17:06, said:

You are saying that using force (robbery) or the threat of force (extortion) to extract money from unwilling citizens is well within your moral code? That is good to know about you.

I believed that I addressed this earlier when I noted that this had all been settled at the time Whiskey Rebellion....

But, to be more explicit.

Yes. I like the fact that the government enforces the laws.
Moreover, I don't have a problem if force needs to be used to ensure compliance.

Note: I don't think that force should be the government's first option, nor do I believe that any use of force by the government is appropriate.
Indeed, I have a lot more sympathy for BLM than I do for the police.

However, since you have gone and created a strawman...

If confronted with a hypothetical sovereign citizen who refuses to pay their taxes, I think that the government is justified in seizing said individual's property and locking them up.
If said individual attempts to use force to resist, I have no issue with the government responding in kind.

I don't get particularly worked up over Ruby Ridge or Waco.
I would not have been at all sorry if the Bundy standoff ended up with a bunch of dead "sovereign citizens".
Alderaan delenda est

#8668 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-27, 17:53

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-27, 17:28, said:

In the US the prevailing social contract is that a woman may have an early term abortion. This is established law and has been so for many years. So why are there still protesters around abortion clinics? Aren't you saying that those protesters should stop protesting or leave the US? After all, they are expected to abide by the social contract regardless of their "ridiculous" claims of morality.

Drews, if you want to have a "discussion" stop attributing random straw man opinions to me.

1. Laws can be modified and the social contract can change with the times.
2. I see nothing wrong with non intrusive protests around abortion clinics.

I have never made claims to the contrary

I am trying to be civil here, but you are really starting to test my patience.
Alderaan delenda est

#8669 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-27, 18:02

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 17:37, said:

I believed that I addressed this earlier when I noted that this had all been settled at the time Whiskey Rebellion....

But, to be more explicit.

Yes. I like the fact that the government enforces the laws.
Moreover, I don't have a problem if force needs to be used to ensure compliance.

Note: I don't think that force should be the government's first option, nor do I believe that any use of force by the government is appropriate.
Indeed, I have a lot more sympathy for BLM than I do for the police.

However, since you have gone and created a strawman...

If confronted with a hypothetical sovereign citizen who refuses to pay their taxes, I think that the government is justified in seizing said individual's property and locking them up.
If said individual attempts to use force to resist, I have no issue with the government responding in kind.

I don't get particularly worked up over Ruby Ridge or Waco.
I would not have been at all sorry if the Bundy standoff ended up with a bunch of dead "sovereign citizens".

And herein lies our irreconcilable differences. You are a true statist. I am a libertarian. All of our disagreements come from this difference. Whether it Clinton, Trump, Repubicans, Democrats, we just simply see things through different colored lenses.

We are inherently political enemies. We will meet on the political battlefield. I will continue to confront you, challenge you, discredit you as best I can. Have a good day and Happy New Year!

#8670 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-27, 18:09

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-27, 18:02, said:

And herein lies our irreconcilable differences. You are a true statist. I am a libertarian. All of our disagreements come from this difference. Whether it Clinton, Trump, Repubicans, Democrats, we just simply see things through different colored lenses.

We are inherently political enemies. We will meet on the political battlefield. I will continue to confront you, challenge you, discredit you as best I can. Have a good day and Happy New Year!

If you had half a brain or could formulate a semi coherent argument, I might actually care.

Regardless, Eat ***** and die.
Alderaan delenda est

#8671 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-27, 18:24

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 18:09, said:

If you had half a brain or could formulate a semi coherent argument, I might actually care.

I seriously doubt it.

#8672 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-27, 18:39

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-27, 18:24, said:

I seriously doubt it.

You might fancy yourself as smart, but you were unable to carry on a "discussion" for more than three posts without resorting to claims about subjective morality, Hitler comparisons, and inventing strawmen to argue against.

I readily admit that I find your presence annoying, but don't confuse this with respect.

Rather, you're the newsgroup equivalent of an ingrown toenail or an anal fissure.

Annoying, unpleasant, hard to get rid of, but ultimately inconsequential.
Alderaan delenda est

#8673 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-December-27, 19:44

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 17:53, said:

I am trying to be civil here.

Hrothgar's New Year Resolution? :)

#8674 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-27, 20:00

From The inside story of Doug Jones’s win in Alabama -- A top Doug Jones staffer explains the Alabama win. By Ezra Klein at Vox:

“The day before the Washington Post story came out, we were behind by one point, 46 to 45,” says Joe Trippi. “And the day before the election, we were ahead in our own survey by 2 points. We ended up winning by 1.8.”

This, Trippi says, was the reality of the Alabama Senate election. It was a dead heat when it started. It was a dead heat the day it ended. And a lot of what the media thinks they know about what happened in between is wrong.

Trippi, who managed Howard Dean’s 2004 presidential campaign, was the chief media strategist on the Doug Jones campaign. And in this conversation, he tells the inside story of that effort. The sexual abuse allegations against Roy Moore, for instance, played a more complex role than many realize — the Jones campaign found that they often re-tribalized a race they were trying desperately to de-tribalize, and would occasionally boost Roy Moore’s numbers.

Trippi says the central insight of the Jones campaign was that many voters, including many Trump-friendly Republicans, are already exhausted by the chaos and hostility of Trump’s Washington, and they're open to alternatives. That was the opportunity Jones exploited, and it’s a lesson Trippi thinks is a model other Democrats could learn from in 2018.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8675 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-December-27, 23:34

Started reading the last three or four pages of this, then wondered why I should bother. What a waste of bandwidth. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8676 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-28, 08:42

Seems as though a Russian hacker has admitted guilt in the DNC hack.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8677 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-December-28, 09:03

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 11:28, said:

You do understand the rank hypocrisy of claiming that trolling is acceptable because of "free speech", but name calling and personal attacks are not because you find this type of speech annoying?

The distinction I'm trying to draw is between arguing about the issues and attacking the posters. Moderation is a necessary (IMHO) limit of free speech to try to maintain civility.

#8678 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-December-28, 09:15

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-27, 17:53, said:

1. Laws can be modified and the social contract can change with the times.

Indeed -- before Roe v. Wade the law and "prevailing social contract" about abortion was exactly the opposite (although conservatives are still trying to rein this in). More recently, the past generation or so has seen attitudes towards LGBT rights change, including the SCOTUS decision on same-sex marriage a couple of years ago. And we're in the midst of a trend to relax laws regarding marijuana.

Nothing is set in stone.

#8679 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-December-28, 09:19

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-27, 15:28, said:

Would you apply the same reasoning to Germany in the 1930's where the prevailing social contract included the Holocaust? After all, Hitler was freely elected and the populace, in general, did not object. They were "damn well" expected to live by its laws, ridiculous claims of moral rights aside.

The logic only really works if you're talking about a generally free society. If you're trapped in an oppressive society that doesn't even afford you the right to leave, it's harder to justify adherence to the social contract. They've got a monopoly on your obedience.

But there are necessary limits to personal freedom. When you're dealing with societies as large and interconnected and inter-dependent as we now have, pure libertarianism is as unrealistic as pure communism.

#8680 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-December-28, 09:20

View Postbarmar, on 2017-December-28, 09:03, said:

The distinction I'm trying to draw is between arguing about the issues and attacking the posters. Moderation is a necessary (IMHO) limit of free speech to try to maintain civility.

"Trolling" is not "arguing about the issues".
In fact, trolls are exactly trying to exploit moderators who only care about the tone ("civility") but ignore the content.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google