• You cannot reply to this topic

Who is correct? Who is fault?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-01, 05:27

Hello moderators
Hello,everyone

There have been one thing which have bothered me for many of years,I have been hesitant,also don't have confidence that you can have a solution.Today I get up the courage and decide to speak out.
This matter happened at BBO.

The explanation of 2 is "weak two bid,6 ".
After match,we had a simple discussion .
Me: What's the exact range of your opening weak two bid?
North:"6-10hcp with exact 6-card suit." North replied.
East-West: East-West said angrily that in fact you only have 3hcp,your opening 2 should be a psychical bid.It is unfair play !
South:Unfair play? psychical bid? you was looking down on your opponents,I never agree with you,now let national director to decide right and wrong.

National referees came here and said it is really a legal opening,never be a psychical bid .
Me: Why? I had ever read the ACBL bulletin in which the director of ACBL thought it is a psychical bid for opener to open weak two bid only with 3hcp if its CC is 6-10hcp.
National referees said that according to related bridge rule of our country,clear stipulation is as long as the deviation of suit length you described is no less than 2-card,the deviation of hcp you explained is no less than 3hcp, all the your bids are reasonable and lawful.
North-South : We are not American,also not ACBL members,why we must obey foreign rule? we only obey the related rule of our country.
ME: However this is a match at BBO,not game in the domestic.
" I am a player of our country,Never obey ACBL requirement!!! What you said are unreasonable opinions."

At the moment all were silent, Break up in discord.
Everyone can't play TM together from then on due to this hand.
Who is correct? Who is fault?

Dear moderators and everyone,now I really have no ability to deal with this matter.
Would you help me? Any suggestion?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Wishes

Lycier

This post has been edited by lycier: 2015-December-01, 08:16

#2 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-01, 08:02

It does not seem to be a gross distortion of strength which would make it a psyche in the UK, but the word gross is not defined. Even it is a psyche, it is perfectly legal, but if partner expects it to be 2-6 rather than 6-10, you could have a concealed partnership understanding. If, for example, he passed with a strong NT and three-card heart support, that would be some evidence of a CPU. In some jurisdictions, arguably illegally, psyches are not allowed or restricted, but this looks more like a deviation, certainly on the first occasion.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-01, 10:15

In such a situation, I think you would have more success arguing that you were given misinformation, rather than that the bid was a psyche.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-01, 16:25

A couple of points:

1. If this was an ACBL sanctioned event, even though it's on BBO, then ACBL regulations apply, even to foreigners.
2. If this was not an ACBL sanctioned event, then the applicable regulations are whatever the person running the tournament says they are.
3. There is no regulation, under ACBL rules, against psyching the 2 bid. Nor should there be.
4. This hand is certainly a deviation from "6-10 HCP and exactly a six card suit". Not sure I'd call it a psych, though it seems to me it's close to one. Deviations, like psychs, are allowed.

I don't understand the references to "national director" or "the director of ACBL".

Either the bidder's partner is just as surprised as you were at the opener's hand, or he has some experience of his partner (and maybe he himself) bidding this way. Under ACBL rules, in the former case, whether you call it a psych or a deviation is irrelevant: it's perfectly legal. In the latter case they have a partnership understanding about which you were mis-informed, and if you were damaged thereby, you are entitled to redress. This is a matter for the director to sort out. You need to call him. There should never be a situation where you get into a "discussion" with opponents. Such things often become heated, which serves no one. Just call the director.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-December-01, 17:14

national director=the director of ACBL=National referees=director,same meanings.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-December-01, 18:45

If it was an ACBL event on BBO. Psyches and deviations are allowed.
If the partnership consistently makes this same deviation then they can be judged to have an agreement.
Then they would have to change their explanation and pre-alert that they open very light preempts.
Now how you determine if a partnership has been opening light pretty consistently. Remember even if they are doing it, 0-3 hcp is much lower odds than 6-10 hcp.
I suppose you could file an abuse report through BBO (by the hand diagram) and if enough people have it happen to them and they also report it; something would be done, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-01, 19:03

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-December-01, 18:45, said:

If it was an ACBL event on BBO. Psyches and deviations are allowed.
If the partnership consistently makes this same deviation then they can be judged to have an agreement.
Then they would have to change their explanation and pre-alert that they open very light preempts.
Now how you determine if a partnership has been opening light pretty consistently. Remember even if they are doing it, 0-3 hcp is much lower odds than 6-10 hcp.
I suppose you could file an abuse report through BBO (by the hand diagram) and if enough people have it happen to them and they also report it; something would be done, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

You can look up the partnership's played hands, can't you?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-December-03, 21:35

I am a layman,however David Lindop will tell the same story on " What's standard?- Two weak bids and respondses " of his bulletin.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-04, 00:34

Assuming ACBL rules (a big if?), and that the 2 bidder has played with his partner before, then I would think that:

a) The explanation of 6-10 HCP is misinformation.
b) The range is really 3-10 which is an 8 point range, so under the GCC, this section would apply,

Disallowed:

CONVENTIONAL RESPONSES, REBIDS AND A CONVENTIONAL DEFENSE
TO AN OPPONENT’S CONVENTIONAL DEFENSE after natural no
trump opening bids or overcalls with a lower limit of fewer than 10 HCP or with
a range of greater than 5 HCP (including those that have two non-consecutive
ranges) and weak two-bids which by partnership agreement are not within a
range of 7 HCP and do not show at least five cards in the suit.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-04, 08:14

For you to rule that, you would have to have found an example with this partnership of a previous weak two on fewer than four points.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-December-04, 10:50

I think most experts would agree with Mr. Lindop's article. So would I, though I'm no expert. :-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-December-04, 11:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-December-04, 10:50, said:

I think most experts would agree with Mr. Lindop's article. So would I, though I'm no expert. :-)

Sorry very much.
My English is very poor,and there are some language issues in it for sure,I know I shoudn't comment too much.
Please believe that Always Learning is my honest attitude,so don't be angry.
The bridge must be happy.
Sorry,and again.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-December-04, 22:16

I'm not mad. I was just answering your question. :)
--------------------

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-05, 16:34

View Postlamford, on 2015-December-04, 08:14, said:

For you to rule that, you would have to have found an example with this partnership of a previous weak two on fewer than four points.

Or believe that the partnership routinely bids weak 2's with less then 4 points??? North sounds like a weasel with his 6-10 HCP response and no explanation why he would open with 3 HCP. It may be wrong, but I interpret this as confirming that N-S have a concealed partnership agreement to open weak 2's with much less than 6 HCP, just like the actual hand. Did I mention that I hate weasels? :)

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-December-06, 00:35

Hate for weasels does not grant a director license to rule however he wants.
--------------------

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-06, 13:28

I have a hunting license for weasels :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users