BBO Discussion Forums: Removed from automated tournament with no reason - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Removed from automated tournament with no reason

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-07, 14:59

Just minutes ago (7 Dec 2015 21:47 Central Europe) I was bounced from an automated TCR80 tournament with no apparent reason.
I had just finished the third or fourth hand, my claim of contract made (6 diamonds) having been accepted by opponents...
I saw that I had made 86% (or similar) and looked at the other hands to see what had happened (2 had made 6+1), then a message appeared
"you have been replaced and are no longer playing in this tournament".
Subsequently I could navigate correctly in BBO, so there was no connection problem.

Did I do something wrong?
Do the servers or the software have some problem?
Playing as many times before on a PC with Windows 10 and BBO web client in Chrome.

#2 User is offline   captyogi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-12, 08:59

I think you must have made some bid, which is not as per the system.

View Postpescetom, on 2015-December-07, 14:59, said:

Just minutes ago (7 Dec 2015 21:47 Central Europe) I was bounced from an automated TCR80 tournament with no apparent reason.
I had just finished the third or fourth hand, my claim of contract made (6 diamonds) having been accepted by opponents...
I saw that I had made 86% (or similar) and looked at the other hands to see what had happened (2 had made 6+1), then a message appeared
Subsequently I could navigate correctly in BBO, so there was no connection problem.

Playing as many times before on a PC with Windows 10 and BBO web client in Chrome.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2015-December-12, 14:18

View Postcaptyogi, on 2015-December-12, 08:59, said:

I think you must have made some bid, which is not as per the system.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem likely or even possible in the web client I am using.
I noticed tonight that the bidding buttons did not appear until all players were present and it was my turn to bid,
and they disappear once I have bid, as is logical.
In any case if a player is able to bid when no auction is in course then that is a defect of the system
which should at least ignore the fact or warn, not throw the player out.

#4 User is offline   captyogi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-15, 15:34

View Postpescetom, on 2015-December-12, 14:18, said:

Thanks, but that doesn't seem likely or even possible in the web client I am using.
I noticed tonight that the bidding buttons did not appear until all players were present and it was my turn to bid,
and they disappear once I have bid, as is logical.
In any case if a player is able to bid when no auction is in course then that is a defect of the system
which should at least ignore the fact or warn, not throw the player out.

I have been thrown out, then I realized that if you make any indisciplined bid, you get kicked out.
you can try again, make a psych bid, u will be thrown out.

If you experiment this, please do let me know the outcome.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-16, 02:22

View Postpescetom, on 2015-December-07, 14:59, said:

You probably were stuck for a very short time, and missed the warnings asking you to bid/play, then you were replaced. This sounds like a network hiccup, but we'll keep an eye on similar reports just in case there's a bug with Express tournaments (unlikely, else we would be receiving many complaints from other players).

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-16, 09:48

View Postcaptyogi, on 2015-December-15, 15:34, said:

I have been thrown out, then I realized that if you make any indisciplined bid, you get kicked out.
you can try again, make a psych bid, u will be thrown out.

The automated tournaments have no one who is judging the quality of your bids. It just uses timing.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2015-December-16, 15:37

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-December-16, 02:22, said:

You probably were stuck for a very short time, and missed the warnings asking you to bid/play, then you were replaced. This sounds like a network hiccup, but we'll keep an eye on similar reports just in case there's a bug with Express tournaments (unlikely, else we would be receiving many complaints from other players).

Thanks for your attention.
I don't recall a warning asking me to bid/play, and no new hand appeared on the screen.
But I was examining the previous hand curiously and might well have missed a warning that subsequently timed out quickly.
It never happened before, so fingers crossed.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 10:20

I suspect you just didn't notice the warning because you were concentrating on the previous hand. We haven't had other complaints that players get replaced without a warning.

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2015-December-17, 16:01

View Postbarmar, on 2015-December-17, 10:20, said:

I suspect you just didn't notice the warning because you were concentrating on the previous hand. We haven't had other complaints that players get replaced without a warning.

Thanks, and quite possible, I'm just puzzled about what warning it could be.
The previous hand had finished (with my claim, accepted) and I'm pretty certain the cards of the next hand had not appeared.
But if there are no other similar complaints, no problem.

If anything I would ask you to improve the behaviour of the client when a claim has been accepted, which may be part of the problem.
Currently the state of play remains frozen until the next hand arrives, including the yellow highlight of the person who was due to play;
this can be confusing for first time players and in any case is rather messy and serves no obvious purpose.
I would suggest that the message "Claim accepted" remains visible but that the played cards and highlighting soon disappear from the table exactly as if all 13 cards had been played.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users