Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(1C) 2NT as overcall frequency

#1 User is offline   kiwinacol 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-14, 17:38

Hello all. My partner and I have returned to Cohen's site to bid rebid hands we tested ourselves on sometime ago. Previously we overcalled at the one level with the hands below. This time partner bid 2N, thinking a major and other minor. It allowed us to get to 7S on these weird hands. 7D scored 8/10.

Dealer South opens 1C. All Vul.

West

S AQJ842
H -
D JT98653
C -

East

S K76
H Q852
D AK
C AT76

but perhaps we are results merchants congratulating ourselves compared to our first attempt, when 2NT is better reserved for strong balanced hands.

My question is which bid will have a higher frequency and usefulness; 2N to show a range above a 1NT overcall or unusual as used here. (1C) 2C is both majors. And likely with more HCP we might have bid naturally at the one level rather than u2NT.

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-July-14, 18:14

The frequency for using 2NT as unusual is far, far greater than for using it to describe a strong balanced hand after an opening bid by the opponents.

In fact, very, very few partnerships (and certainly no-one of intermediate and above level) should even use 2NT except as an unusual two suited hand.

With a very strong balanced hand (>18+), you should double first and then bid no-trumps at the appropriate level over an opposition bid.

#3 User is offline   kiwinacol 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-14, 18:27

thanks, your reply clears that issue up.

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-July-14, 18:14, said:

The frequency for using 2NT as unusual is far, far greater than for using it to describe a strong balanced hand after an opening bid by the opponents.

In fact, very, very few partnerships (and certainly no-one of intermediate and above level) should even use 2NT except as an unusual two suited hand.

With a very strong balanced hand (>18+), you should double first and then bid no-trumps at the appropriate level over an opposition bid.

#4 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-14, 18:51

View Postkiwinacol, on 2017-July-14, 17:38, said:

Hello all. My partner and I have returned to Cohen's site to bid rebid hands we tested ourselves on sometime ago. Previously we overcalled at the one level with the hands below. This time partner bid 2N, thinking a major and other minor. It allowed us to get to 7S on these weird hands. 7D scored 8/10.

Dealer South opens 1C. All Vul.

West

S AQJ842
H -
D JT98653
C -

East

S K76
H Q852
D AK
C AT76
an
but perhaps we are results merchants congratulating ourselves compared to our first attempt, when 2NT is better reserved for strong balanced hands.

My question is which bid will have a higher frequency and usefulness; 2N to show a range above a 1NT overcall or unusual as used here. (1C) 2C is both majors. And likely with more HCP we might have bid naturally at the one level rather than u2NT.

(1C)-2N* is normally played as Ds and Hs.

(1D)-2N* is normally played as Cs and Hs.

You might want to try Top and Bottom cuebids if you want to show 2 suiters with spades.

X and a rebid of 1N shows a hand stronger than a 1N overcall. Normally 19-21 if 1N shows 15+-18

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 09:50

View Postspotlight7, on 2017-July-14, 18:51, said:

You might want to try Top and Bottom cuebids if you want to show 2 suiters with spades.

Here is another method that I am fond of:-

After (1)
==
2 = WJO in a major; or + , strong
2 = both majors, weak
2 = + , weak
2NT = + , weak or strong
3 = both majors, strong
==

After (1)
==
2 = both majors, weak
2 = + , weak
2NT = + , weak or strong
3 = both majors, strong
==

There are plenty of other alternatives around, with David Stevenson's site having a reasonable selection of the more common options.

Finally, do note that while a 2NT overcall is typically used for 2-suiters in the direct position, in 4th seat after 2 passes it regains its natural meaning of a big, balanced hand.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-July-17, 11:06

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-July-17, 09:50, said:

Here is another method that I am fond of:-

After (1)
==

[...]

After (1)
==

These are brown stickers unless the opening is conventional. But kiwinacol is from New Zealand, so...

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 13:29

View Postnullve, on 2017-July-17, 11:06, said:

These are brown stickers unless the opening is conventional. But kiwinacol is from New Zealand, so...

Also not allowed by the ACBL General Convention Chart so in any of their BBO tourneys.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users