BBO Discussion Forums: New type of finding a bridgegame on BBO - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New type of finding a bridgegame on BBO

#1 User is offline   LinusO 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-06, 17:06

Im a gamer and I have played lots of games on the internet. We all know how hard it is to find a good game on BBO, either the players arent of your skill level, they are being rude or they leave in the middle of the hand. So I started to think if there could be a game mode that I would like to play and I came up with this:

1. You should just search for a game and once you find 4 players of the same skill level the game will start. Which will hopefully be very fast once alot of players are playing this game mode,

2. All the player names should be hidden and no chatting and no observers allowed. And there should be only a few basic conventions that are already standard on bbo, like standard carding 2/1 stayman and transfers after 1nt opening, jacoby and 0314 blackwood.

3. The player who are becoming dummy will immidiatly enter the pool again, because it is boring being dummy so he will start a new game instead.

4. There will be a hidden rating system never showed to the players, that the system will you to match the players of similar skill level. If a player dont want to get matched again automaically after the game they will have to press a button that this will be my last hand. And if players consistently leave in the middle of the hand they will lose the hidden rating and they will betold that they will be matched with other leavers if they continue. And if they still leave will be flagged and be paired with other leavers as a punishment for a week. A bot will take over if another players leave.

5. There will also be a clock running and lets say you have 30 sec for each action and if your time runs out you will lose double rating and a bot will take over.

This is a gamemode I would like to play on BBO.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-May-07, 06:02

Build your our webpage. Almost nobody else will want this.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-07, 06:11

View PostLinusO, on 2018-May-06, 17:06, said:

Im a gamer and I have played lots of games on the internet. We all know how hard it is to find a good game on BBO, either the players arent of your skill level, they are being rude or they leave in the middle of the hand. So I started to think if there could be a game mode that I would like to play and I came up with this:

1. You should just search for a game and once you find 4 players of the same skill level the game will start. Which will hopefully be very fast once alot of players are playing this game mode,

2. All the player names should be hidden and no chatting and no observers allowed. And there should be only a few basic conventions that are already standard on bbo, like standard carding 2/1 stayman and transfers after 1nt opening, jacoby and 0314 blackwood.

3. The player who are becoming dummy will immidiatly enter the pool again, because it is boring being dummy so he will start a new game instead.

4. There will be a hidden rating system never showed to the players, that the system will you to match the players of similar skill level. If a player dont want to get matched again automaically after the game they will have to press a button that this will be my last hand. And if players consistently leave in the middle of the hand they will lose the hidden rating and they will betold that they will be matched with other leavers if they continue. And if they still leave will be flagged and be paired with other leavers as a punishment for a week. A bot will take over if another players leave.

5. There will also be a clock running and lets say you have 30 sec for each action and if your time runs out you will lose double rating and a bot will take over.

This is a gamemode I would like to play on BBO.

There is a timer. Bot takes over. You lose rating if you leave midway.

The HMFAG matching algorithm takes into account some of what you're listing there.

No matter how many automatisms you'd try to put in place people will play whatever the heck they want to play, and it's better to let them chat about it than turn off chat. As for dummy hopping it's a bad idea, why would you prefer to hop around instead of staying at the same table for as many boards as possible, and hopefully developing friendships and regular partnerships? The advantage of playing with people is that they have human characteristics like ability to talk. If you want to play one single system and leave as dummy and not chat just play with robots IMO.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-07, 12:47

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-May-07, 06:11, said:

No matter how many automatisms you'd try to put in place people will play whatever the heck they want to play, and it's better to let them chat about it than turn off chat. As for dummy hopping it's a bad idea, why would you prefer to hop around instead of staying at the same table for as many boards as possible, and hopefully developing friendships and regular partnerships? The advantage of playing with people is that they have human characteristics like ability to talk. If you want to play one single system and leave as dummy and not chat just play with robots IMO.

I agree with you about dummy hopping and the value of human interaction, but I do think the OP has some merits all the same.
Rating players is clearly possible, I understand why BBO does not want to do it publicly, but it could still be done privately.
I would much like to be able to enter a game of consistent level with no host (quite possibly an opponent) authorised to "boot" me for arbitrary and undocumented reasons, for instance. Right now the nearest thing is "Take me to the first seat available" which I do use while waiting for tournaments, but usually I am grateful when they start.

Looking at other online gaming implementations, another thing that would be very useful (forgive me if it already exists, but I haven't noticed it) is a 'looking for partner' lobby where people could scrutinize profiles, form pairs and negotiate agreements prior to playing together.

#5 User is offline   LinusO 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 01:49

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-May-07, 06:02, said:

Build your our webpage. Almost nobody else will want this.

What kind of rude answer is that. How do you know what other people want.

#6 User is offline   LinusO 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-May-08, 01:52

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-May-07, 06:11, said:

There is a timer. Bot takes over. You lose rating if you leave midway.

The HMFAG matching algorithm takes into account some of what you're listing there.

But I want to play with humans and not robots but I dont want to have to deal with jerks like steve2005 above.
There needs to be incentive for people to stay and continue the board.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users