BBO Discussion Forums: Two No Trump Jacoby - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two No Trump Jacoby four cards support in unbalanced hand

#21 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2019-April-06, 02:33

Stephen Tu, on 2019-April-05, 18:52, said:

Lovera,
Vast majority of strong players gave up on using 1M-3M as strong and forcing a long time ago. They did the same for Swiss raises. The problem is just that these bids are too high. There's not enough room to exchange enough information below 4M to make an accurate assessment of slam potential. Ideally you want at least one hand to be able to show both distribution and high card range generally. The better response structures to the 2nt raise do that, and can also conceal if both opener and responder are minimum. (Typical: 3c = min range, responder with min GF can just sign off at 4M, but bid 3d to enquire further).

3M as F raise isn't quite as bad as Swiss since it's several steps lower, but given that 2nt can reasonably handle the entire range of forcing raise hands, you don't really need to also have 3M as forcing; it's more useful to have 1M-3M available as some sort of preempt/mixed raise or some such.

The pattaya web site argument in favor of Swiss (reserving Jacoby for stronger hands only) for me is logically weak. They claim is that it is better for weaker responders (min GF) to Swiss. This is wrong IMO because there isn't room for opener to show shortness. Even if responder has min GF hand opener needs a way to say "if your values aren't in my short suit, we should be in slam". Can't do that with only a couple bids left. They claim that it's a problem that opener doesn't know how strong responder is and responder should not take captaincy. It's really not a problem. Responder with non-fitting minimums will simply sign off frequently and stop cue bidding. Opener can simply assume that responder who stops cooperating is on the minimum end. Even in the std inefficient Jacoby structure one can do things like use 3M or 3nt as waiting bids to differentiate stronger from weaker holdings.

So experts generally use a combo of splinter raises (sometimes with multiple ranges, or perhaps distinguishing between singletons/voids, or maybe both), and 2nt sequences to cover their raises, with a few hands with a good side suit choosing to go through 2/1 (or perhaps relay sequence starting with 2c if available).

What you say is interesting but I'm trying to put the 2NT Jacoby in my system without changing much the structure is therefore keeping 1M-3M forcing (with range 14-18 and balanced hands) in this way still partly and using 2NT for the remaining unbalanced hands. The indication of the site of Pattaya Bridge is made to widen the "turn of horizon" presenting other declarative eventualities and for the examples of hands. The answers to the 2NT Jacoby are therefore: 3x is shortness in unbalanced minimum hand, 4M minimum hand without slam vision, 3M undefined shortness in good maximum hand and 3NT idem w / o shortness trying to avoid, by balancing all this, to complicate a system that I tend to keep it as natural as possible.

#22 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-06, 04:18

If you are going to retain 3M as forcing, I'd suggest you have this completely backwards (2nt = unbalanced, 3M = balanced). With the balanced hands, you want to use 2nt, because this gives max room to tease out both opener's shape + strength and figure out if the values of the balanced hand are working or not working. Use 3M as some splinter range (since you wanted to keep 3nt = natural 15-17) instead, different from 1S-4c. e.g. 1S-4c = 12-14 hcp, 1s-3s = 9-11 hcp any shortness (opener bid 3nt to ask where).

2nt = balanced or semi-balanced (with good side cd 5 suit normally 2/1), or too strong to splinter.

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-06, 04:25

Have you heard of the “pudding raise”? This is a bid of 3NT showing 4-card support in a balanced, minimum GF (13-15, give or take, depending on your opening style. This bid may allow you to change your other raises to a more effective scheme.

Also, a bid of 2NT as a high-card raise to 3 or better is very playable. In fact I used to play it with my mixed pivot team (someone suggested it once and you don’t do much system revision with people you play 9 boards with once a year.)

Finally, splinters have been mentioned since they take up so much space they need to be very specific. My strong preference is to play them as 3-4 controls (A=2, K=1) in a hand not strong enough for a high-card GF raise, or a monster that is going to go on after partner’s signoff. The reason for the emphasis on controls rather than point-count (some people say, eg 8-11) is that you are not going to find the thin slams with 10 points in Jacks and Queens. And if you are not trying to find thin slams, you needn’t bother to play splinters,
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-April-06, 04:27

Lovera, on 2019-April-06, 02:33, said:

The indication of the site of Pattaya Bridge is made to widen the "turn of horizon" presenting other declarative eventualities and for the examples of hands. The answers to the 2NT Jacoby are therefore: 3x is shortness in unbalanced minimum hand, 4M minimum hand without slam vision, 3M undefined shortness in good maximum hand and 3NT idem w / o shortness trying to avoid, by balancing all this, to complicate a system that I tend to keep it as natural as possible.

The Pattaya bridge club should not be taken as an authoritative source regarding best practices for bidding.

They've been involved in a lot of weird stuff over the years... (Not just wrt bidding)
Alderaan delenda est

#25 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2019-April-06, 05:00

In Scandinavia, the forcing 2N raise usually goes under the name of 'Stenberg' (after its inventior, the Swedish player Alvar Stenberg). Most Scandinavian players seem to prefer a version where 2N is only INV+, though, and that version is also called 'Invitt-Stenberg' (Eng.: 'Invitational Stenberg).

Natural continuations after (Invitt-)Stenberg are probably still dominant, but the following structure seems to have become quite popular recently:

1M-2N; ?:

3 = lower half of 1M range
...3 = GF relay
......3 = singleton/void in clubs
......3 = singleton/void in diamonds
......3N = singleton/void in the other major
......4+ = cuebidding w/ no singleton/void
...3M = INV
...4M = to play
3 = upper half of 1M range, no singleton/void
...3 = singleton/void in clubs
...3 = singleton/void in diamonds
...3N = singelton/void in the other major
...4+ = cuebidding w/ no singelton/void
3 = upper half of 1M range, singleton/void in clubs
3 = upper half of 1M range, singelton/void in diamonds
3N = upper half of 1M range, singelton/void in the other major

Some also play

4m = 5+ m, values concentrated in M and m
4(M=) = 5+ hearts, values concentrated in the majors

The above responses to 2N are sometimes called 'Swedish responses' to Jacoby/Stenberg, I believe.

#26 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-06, 06:50

Stephen Tu, on 2019-April-06, 04:18, said:

If you are going to retain 3M as forcing, I'd suggest you have this completely backwards (2nt = unbalanced, 3M = balanced). With the balanced hands, you want to use 2nt, because this gives max room to tease out both opener's shape + strength and figure out if the values of the balanced hand are working or not working. Use 3M as some splinter range (since you wanted to keep 3nt = natural 15-17) instead, different from 1S-4c. e.g. 1S-4c = 12-14 hcp, 1s-3s = 9-11 hcp any shortness (opener bid 3nt to ask where).

2nt = balanced or semi-balanced (with good side cd 5 suit normally 2/1), or too strong to splinter.

I've infact said 1M-3M bal. 14-18, 1M-2NT unbal.(+5-4-2-2 shape) 14-18, 1-4 instead is 6-8 five spade supp. or better my Keycard Oklahoma (*)1-4 idem with 1 Key (A/K of spade), 1-3 is 6-11 if interferred while in 1M-2m answer of partner sure 12/+ points and a second bid or a delayed raise with 12-13 points raising opener at third level.
(*)=As i have already said in "1-p-4" (topic-see) i use "Oklahoma" convention to give partner information of number of Ace(s) in this way : it's estabilished by this conv. that 4=1 Ace, 4=2 Aces whilest with no ace 4 of trump and opener values if information serves and if not corrects in 4 of trump. But because i see you like insert keycard and to have two Aces could be minus frequent it can change in 4=1 keycard, 4=2 keycards and 4 of trump with 0 keycard (termed "keycard-Oklahoma").

#27 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-06, 06:58

Vampyr, on 2019-April-06, 04:25, said:

Have you heard of the "pudding raise"? This is a bid of 3NT showing 4-card support in a balanced, minimum GF (13-15, give or take, depending on your opening style. This bid may allow you to change your other raises to a more effective scheme.

Also, a bid of 2NT as a high-card raise to 3 or better is very playable. In fact I used to play it with my mixed pivot team (someone suggested it once and you don't do much system revision with people you play 9 boards with once a year.)

Finally, splinters have been mentioned since they take up so much space they need to be very specific. My strong preference is to play them as 3-4 controls (A=2, K=1) in a hand not strong enough for a high-card GF raise, or a monster that is going to go on after partner's signoff. The reason for the emphasis on controls rather than point-count (some people say, eg 8-11) is that you are not going to find the thin slams with 10 points in Jacks and Queens. And if you are not trying to find thin slams, you needn't bother to play splinters,

I agree about splinter that i don 't like much while for i.e. 1-3NT is 15-17 balanced with points in the other three suits and xx as heart supp.

#28 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-06, 07:01

nullve, on 2019-April-06, 05:00, said:

In Scandinavia, the forcing 2N raise usually goes under the name of 'Stenberg' (after its inventior, the Swedish player Alvar Stenberg). Most Scandinavian players seem to prefer a version where 2N is only INV+, though, and that version is also called 'Invitt-Stenberg' (Eng.: 'Invitational Stenberg).

Natural continuations after (Invitt-)Stenberg are probably still dominant, but the following structure seems to have become quite popular recently:

1M-2N; ?:

...3 = GF relay
...3M = INV
...4M = to play

Some also play

The above responses to 2N are sometimes called 'Swedish responses' to Jacoby/Stenberg, I believe.

Ok, but this one is artificial for me 🙂.

#29 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2019-April-06, 07:24

Lovera, on 2019-April-06, 07:01, said:

Ok, but this one is artificial for me ��.

What can be more artificial than standard Jacoby 2NT where,for example, Opener's 3 rebid shows 0-1 clubs? In the structure I described, both Opener and Responder actually tend to have length (i.e. 3+ cards) in the suit bid.

I think you're confusing 'natural' with 'the suit bid is also the one talked about'.

#30 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-06, 07:48

nullve, on 2019-April-06, 07:24, said:

What can be more artificial than standard Jacoby 2NT where,for example, Opener's 3 rebid shows 0-1 clubs? In the structure I described, both Opener and Responder actually tend to have length (i.e. 3+ cards) in the suit bid.

I think you're confusing 'natural' with 'the suit bid is also the one talked about'.

In our days the system are more artificial of those with a natural structure. I than tend to avoid to have many biddings with steps.

#31 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-14, 06:07

You can find the explanation on the Oklahoma Convention by entering my nickname Lovera in the sub-forum "Non-natural Bridge Discussion" as I indicated also when you go to "Find My Content" (before entering), where the Swiss Convention is also discussed. The highly interdictive nature combined with the indications regarding the Keycards make it even more effective. There are two variants of the CEK system (R. Maroder, L. Paolucci, A. Camera) of the convention of probable Italian origin (Roman Club) while mine, more than a third variant can be considered an integration. The application reduced only to the unbalanced hands of the Jacoby 2NT is completed with the use of the jump support (1M-3M) in response to the opening equally only for the balanced ones and therefore: 4M indicates a minimum balanced, 3NT a maximum balanced while cuebidding a minimum unbalanced if then there is a sign off in game or maximum if you continue with cue bids.

#32 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-April-15, 14:16

1M-2N; ?:

...3 = GF relay
...3M = INV
...4M = to play

Some also play

My teammates like to use this structure. They point out that one advantage of this approach is that the 3 response to 2 NT doesn't divulge much about opener's hand. So, when responder is just interested in game, game is bid with virtually no information being given out about opener's hand than it's just a minimum range hand. This is useful on hands where opener divulging a singleton can aid the defense.

Yes, there is some artificiality in whatever responses to 2 NT you choose. But they also provide some assistance to the partnership in defining what is the potential target level of the hand. If, with the original Jacoby responses, the opener shows extras (3 NT balanced 15-16, 3 M balanced 17+), the responder can anticipate and begin possible slam exploration with an appropriate hand. Ditto shortness bids or 2nd suit 4 level bids can point out wasted values or strong fits to responder.

I think there's no doubt that keeping at least some part of the 3 level available for showing controls can aid in getting key controls identified for possible slams below the game level. At the very least, that will aid in bidding slams where 1 M - 3 M forcing precludes showing the control(s). That can allow bidding to continue past game to the 5 level with little risk. After 1 M - 3 M forcing and the inability to show the controls below game, the partnership must guess whether to continue slam exploration and risk the game contract, or, potentially miss a cold slam when the controls actually exist.

My favorite partner and I play our own homegrown Jacoby responses to take advantage of some concepts discussed in the Granovetter book on conventions --

3 - minor singleton
.. 3 relay asking which minor
... 3 - shortness
... 3 - shortness

3 - big hand 17+
.. 3 new suit - control
.. 3 M, 3 NT waiting bids starting control bidding

3 OM - shortness in OM

3 M - minimum hand, no shortness
.. 3 NT -relay asking for more info
... new suit shows concentration of values AND 2 honors in M
... 4 M -less than 2 honors in M

3 NT - 15-16 no shortness

4 in new suit - good 2nd suit usually 5-5 or better

4 M - minimum no shortness but strong trumps (AKQxx or better)

#33 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-15, 14:36

1M-2N; ?:

...3 = GF relay
...3M = INV
...4M = to play

Some also play

We currently play something similar but simpler, I've taken note for when I find a more ambitious partner.
Do you have any idea of the real origin of 2NT as INV+ raise?
I've seen it attributed to NL, but no idea how sure this is or when, let alone a name.

#34 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-April-15, 17:49

I think using 2NT as limit+ makes a lot of sense. You should be able to be more efficient and save a bid. This is especially true if your are interested in changing the responses to avoid giving away info when both minimum etc.

Other ideas i've found have merit:
3M as a 4-card constructive raise. Now you can do without Bergen.

Split ranges of splinters are good but unless you have a active technical partnership is not worth trouble.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users