Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The worst bug This requires immediate attention

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-17, 18:05

Earlier this evening I was playing in a match of the EBU lockdown league. My partner made some remark, and when I sent a reply, it indicated to me that it went privately to him (I probably clicked on his name rather than chatted directly to the table). I asked the opponents if they had seen the remark, and neither of them answered, although they might have tried and I missed it because I lost my connection soon after.

I do not know how a comment could’ve gone directly to my partner; could it be that I sent it at the moment one hand was finished and the next one had not yet appeared? In any case, whatever made it possible for me to send a comment privately to my partner needs to be fixed.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   jdempsey52 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-17, 23:32

When your hand is finished, you can chat privately with your partner until the next hand is dealt

Do not understand why this is a bug?

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 00:51

jdempsey52, on 2020-May-17, 23:32, said:

When your hand the round is finished, you can chat privately with your partner until the next hand is dealt

BBO allows you to do a post-mortem by private chat with your partner after the round ends until BBO moves you to the next round.

I agree with jdempsey52; this is not a bug.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 01:00

This has been a bug for some considerable time and tends to manifest itself in certain circumstances (that I'm not going to publicly clarify).

There are also bugs/features where the software doesn't perform as you might expect, for example when chat from kibitzers is barred but people can still chat to you in a tournament or team match.

I presume these are difficult to fix.

This thread should be moved to the BBO Support forum.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-18, 02:04

paulg, on 2020-May-18, 01:00, said:

This has been a bug for some considerable time and tends to manifest itself in certain circumstances (that I'm not going to publicly clarify).

There are also bugs/features where the software doesn't perform as you might expect, for example when chat from kibitzers is barred but people can still chat to you in a tournament or team match.

I presume these are difficult to fix.

This thread should be moved to the BBO Support forum.

@paul there is a feature called "chat to anyone anywhere" that is granted to all club managers (ie all the vEBU and EBU accounts for example). It is also granted to some private usernames who also happen to be club managers.

I suspect a lot of these cases where user can chat in private to anyone and it's not because round changed are reported by users who are also tournament (or team match) hosts.

We can easily remove this feature if it's considered a bug and not a helpful tool for hosts.

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-May-18, 03:29

diana_eva, on 2020-May-18, 02:04, said:

@paul there is a feature called "chat to anyone anywhere" that is granted to all club managers (ie all the vEBU and EBU accounts for example). It is also granted to some private usernames who also happen to be club managers.

The problems I've seen are not caused by this feature so no need to remove it from my perspective. I'll message you privately with my observations.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 03:51

paulg, on 2020-May-18, 03:29, said:

The problems I've seen are not caused by this feature so no need to remove it from my perspective. I'll message you privately with my observations.

Thanks Paul. And again a huge thank you for helping newcomers and answering in the Forums.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:01

shyams, on 2020-May-18, 00:51, said:

BBO allows you to do a post-mortem by private chat with your partner after the round ends until BBO moves you to the next round.

I agree with jdempsey52; this is not a bug.

Really? In the OP case, which you might have attempted to read, the round had not ended; the remark was made in the middle of an 8-board Match.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:05

diana_eva, on 2020-May-18, 02:04, said:

I suspect a lot of these cases where user can chat in private to anyone and it's not because round changed are reported by users who are also tournament (or team match) hosts.

We can easily remove this feature if it's considered a bug and not a helpful tool for hosts.

In a team match, someone is necessarily the host. Is it a “feature” that this person can chat privately with her partner?

In the OP case my partner was the host. Someone has to be, of course.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:11

jdempsey52, on 2020-May-17, 23:32, said:

When your hand is finished, you can chat privately with your partner until the next hand is dealt

LOL upvoted when I intended to reply and note how vacuous this comment is.

#11 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:16

Vampyr, on 2020-May-18, 11:01, said:

Really? In the OP case, which you might have attempted to read, the round had not ended; the remark was made in the middle of an 8-board Match.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Awesome! Thank you for the compliment.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:18

shyams, on 2020-May-18, 11:16, said:

Awesome! Thank you for the compliment.

If you consider being told you are a fool a compliment, is it because I might have said much worse?

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-18, 11:27

Vampyr, on 2020-May-18, 11:05, said:

In a team match, someone is necessarily the host. Is it a “feature” that this person can chat privately with her partner?

In the OP case my partner was the host. Someone has to be, of course.

Team matches were traditionally a free fun feature. It was not a big deal that people can chat and something like "host can always chat to anyone" made the game easier to manage for a playing TD.

If it's an official game where it's unacceptable for players to chat under any circumstances, someone who is not playing usually hosts the game (either someone from BBO, or a director in charge from the NBO organizing the event).

That said, it's not something set in stone, and it's easy to remove features from BBO if enough people find it disruptive.

#14 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-May-18, 13:29

diana_eva, on 2020-May-18, 11:27, said:

Team matches were traditionally a free fun feature. It was not a big deal that people can chat and something like "host can always chat to anyone" made the game easier to manage for a playing TD.

If it's an official game where it's unacceptable for players to chat under any circumstances, someone who is not playing usually hosts the game (either someone from BBO, or a director in charge from the NBO organizing the event).

That said, it's not something set in stone, and it's easy to remove features from BBO if enough people find it disruptive.

I agree that it's far from the worst bug, but it probably should be fixed and without removing the advantages of host being able to chat to players. Surely all it takes is that a playing host cannot chat privately to his partner whenever the opponents cannot do the same.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-May-18, 14:33

diana_eva, on 2020-May-18, 11:27, said:

In the leagues I play in, the host is one of the players unfortunately.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users