Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

journalist lead question

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-February-12, 12:36

With touching Honors, and against a trump contract where partner has not bid, Case I you hold Q,J and Case 2, you hold Q,J,x . In both cases, you have decided to lead this suit.

In Case I, you lead the Q and partner knows you either have the King with another one, or it is a doubleton headed by the Q (or it was a singleton).
In Case II, you lead the J, and partner knows you either have the Q with another one or a doubleton headed by the (or it was a singleton). In both cases, it becomes apparent to partner either from him looking at his own hand or when the board comes down or upon the second lead of the suit.

My question is why this methodology isn't used in subsequent leads when a new suit is opened for the first time...For example, against a Spade contract, suppose I lead the 10 of Hearts, and Partner takes the Ace and shifts to a Diamond lead. With a sequence in Diamonds, say KQJ, he is 'supposed' to lead the King, as opposed to the Q

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-12, 13:39

[edit]Oops, ignore bit about Rusinow, missed the part about a suit contract.

The main reason is that later in the hand, you're more likely to want to switch to a doubleton honor. This is the same reason these leads don't apply when leading partner's suit.

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-12, 13:45

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-February-12, 13:39, said:

Do you mean Rusinow leads? With Journalist leads, the J denies the Q.

The main reason is that later in the hand, you're more likely to want to switch to a doubleton honor. This is the same reason these leads don't apply when leading partner's suit.

Against a suit contract, one leads second from touching honors ( unless its your partner's suit).....I believe you are correct that against a NT contract, the J denies the Q. Thanks, I'll mull over your answer about the switch to doubleton

(Maybe Rusinow leads and my understanding of Jounalist leads against suit contracts are exactly the same)

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-12, 16:16

Maybe the main reason for leading lower of touching honors is to distinguish the lead of KQ, and AK. In standard leads, the king is lead from AK and KQ, but partner may want to give different signals to an AK lead opposed to a KQ lead.

Some pairs switch to leading A from AK to distinguish it from the lead of K from KQ, but that introduces a different ambiguity because the ace may also be from ace empty, and partner will usually want to give different signals for AK compared to empty ace leads.

Rusinow's ambiguity is from doubleton honors where partner may not be able to immediately know whether the lead was top of doubleton or an ordinary Rusinow lead. So the tradeoff is which ambiguity you think causes more long term problems.

Once you get past trick 1 and can see the 1st (or several) tricks and dummy, the lead of a king in a new suit is much less likely to be ambiguous, or it won't matter.

#5 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-12, 16:22

View Postjohnu, on 2022-February-12, 16:16, said:

Maybe the main reason for leading lower of touching honors is to distinguish the lead of KQ, and AK. In standard leads, the king is lead from AK and KQ, but partner may want to give different signals to an AK lead opposed to a KQ lead.

Some pairs switch to leading A from AK to distinguish it from the lead of K from KQ, but that introduces a different ambiguity because the ace may also be from ace empty, and partner will usually want to give different signals for AK compared to empty ace leads.

Rusinow's ambiguity is from doubleton honors where partner may not be able to immediately know whether the lead was top of doubleton or an ordinary Rusinow lead. So the tradeoff is which ambiguity you think causes more long term problems.

Once you get past trick 1 and can see the 1st (or several) tricks and dummy, the lead of a king in a new suit is much less likely to be ambiguous, or it won't matter.

Yes...my question really had to do with, not the opening lead, but why the methodology changes after the opening lead with an introduction of new non-trump suit. Thank you

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users