BBO Discussion Forums: Making inferences from the bidding - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making inferences from the bidding What does East have?

#1 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 00:43

Taking MikeH's advice to glean as much as possible from all the bids and calls that my partner and opponents make I found myself South in the recent BIC free practice number 5 Board 1.
Not best hand - obviously.

My partner bid 1 and after the East robot doubled I decided that with my meagre 3HCP, 3 and a 9 loser hand in Hearts, it was reasonable to muster a 2 bid to be A) supportive, and B) annoying.

What does East have for the double?

It's important to note at this point that I was advised by West - or East - that the double meant the following:
"Takeout double -- 3-5; 3-5; 2-; 3-4; 12+ total points"

The full hand
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-March-29, 01:43

Without looking at the spoiler, my answer would be that it is most likely that East has a really strong hand which is too good for an overcall. Probably long spades and about 17 hcp.

First, where have the spades gone? Partner has opened 1H, so except for a rare 5-6 shape (s)he doesn't have more than 4. West hasn't bid them, and we've only got one. Second, the diamonds, we can see 5, West has at least 5. If East has three, partner has a void and is about to bid again.

So either East has the big hand with Spades, or partner has 5=6=0=2. The former is more likely.

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-29, 03:20

I agree with everything Douglas said, and it looks like your bid drove the opponents to an uncomfortable level before they could bid their shape. Well done! I really like the 2 bid (and would have liked it even if it didn't work out, though I guess you will just have to take my word for that).

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-29, 03:34

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-March-29, 03:20, said:

I agree with everything Douglas said, and it looks like your bid drove the opponents to an uncomfortable level before they could bid their shape. Well done! I really like the 2 bid (and would have liked it even if it didn't work out, though I guess you will just have to take my word for that).

Opps drove themselves to an uncomfortable level (4 wasn't necessary) then missed their cold slam

But yes the description should be what it is OR any really good hand too good to do anything else, and this is understood by most people but not the sort of description a robot will give

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-29, 05:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-March-29, 03:34, said:

Opps drove themselves to an uncomfortable level (4 wasn't necessary) then missed their cold slam

But yes the description should be what it is OR any really good hand too good to do anything else, and this is understood by most people but not the sort of description a robot will give
The 4 bid is very bad. A more experienced EW partnership might have bid (1)-X-(2)-3; (P)-3-(P)-?, and I'm not sure what to do with the West hand. 3 is GF (although I suspect some people might pass it), so the QT6 suggests 3NT. Maybe partner only has 5 spades on this auction. Then back to East, partner has shown heart and diamond values so far, do you push for slam with 4? Your clubs are wide open and you will be declarer in 6. Tough decisions for all.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users