BBO Discussion Forums: Video Chat Feature - How to Get Rid It? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Video Chat Feature - How to Get Rid It?

#1 User is offline   Kirussell 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-23, 11:44

The players in my tournament are complaining about the video chat column. How do they get rid of it from their screen without also losing the History and other tabs?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-March-23, 15:30

View PostKirussell, on 2021-March-23, 11:44, said:

The players in my tournament are complaining about the video chat column. How do they get rid of it from their screen without also losing the History and other tabs?

Hi. There was a problem when we upgraded BBO this morning, the voice chat setting went to all tourneys instead of just those intentionally created with Video enabled.

This inconvenience was fixed meanwhile. Please make a small edit to any tournaments you may have scheduled in advance, to make sure the settings are refreshed and video is off.

Sorry for the bumpy start. But now that you saw video is coming, maybe try a game with video chat and see how your players like it when everyone expects it :)

#3 User is offline   SBU_E_MEL 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-25, 09:02

Can the TD turn off Video Chat part way through a tournament?

#4 User is offline   sekica 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-27, 03:54

Video chat looks very pretty. Well done developers! However we cannot use it at present as it facilitates talking at the table during bidding and play which can be very disruptive and enables passing unauthorised information and therefore cheating. I presume it is introduced for the social aspect of the game as it would be nice to see your bridge friends, especially now when face to face clubs are closed.
Would it be possible to add an option to start video chat at the end of the round when there might be some time left for a chat?

#5 User is offline   Margo2017 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-29, 22:25

View PostKirussell, on 2021-March-23, 11:44, said:

Yes, I would want to know how to disable the video chat column. Way to disruptive.

#6 User is offline   Margo2017 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-29, 22:26

View Postdiana_eva, on 2021-March-23, 15:30, said:

Hi. There was a problem when we upgraded BBO this morning, the voice chat setting went to all tourneys instead of just those intentionally created with Video enabled.

This inconvenience was fixed meanwhile. Please make a small edit to any tournaments you may have scheduled in advance, to make sure the settings are refreshed and video is off.

Sorry for the bumpy start. But now that you saw video is coming, maybe try a game with video chat and see how your players like it when everyone expects it :)

How?

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-March-29, 23:48

View PostMargo2017, on 2021-March-29, 22:26, said:

How?

Video chat is a tournament setting. If you are the one creating the tournaments for your club, do not tick "Allow Video" in the tournament settings, when you are setting it up.

As a player, if your TD activated video for your tourney, you can drag the video on the vertical, to move it more to the left or to the right. You can turn off your own camera and microphone, but not those of other people. And you cannot completely close the chat column, at least not yet.

We will improve the settings and the design as we collect more feedback from the players and directors.

#8 User is offline   paharry 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 03:35

Since I attempted unsuccessfully to join the video on 4g internet connection the performance of BBO {even with video disabled tournaments} is like playing in slow motion!

Before you start BBO is fine other on all machines on the same 4g connection via my phone
1. on ancient HP laptop
2. my 3 mini touch screen laptop {2g main memory, 32g disk!]
3. my phone.

I have cleared the chrome cache, restarted laptop etc to no avail.

Video would be nice but BBO intolerance to internet latency is very poor and needs addressing.

Being able to applied handicaps to the results for a mixed ability tournaments will keep weaker bridge players interested

#9 User is offline   paharry 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 03:37

View Postpaharry, on 2021-March-30, 03:35, said:

Since I attempted unsuccessfully to join the video on 4g internet connection the performance of BBO {even with video disabled tournaments} is like playing in slow motion!

Before you start BBO is fine other on all machines on the same 4g connection via my phone
1. on ancient HP laptop
2. my 3 mini touch screen laptop {2g main memory, 32g disk!]
3. my phone.

I have cleared the chrome cache, restarted laptop etc to no avail.

Video would be nice but BBO intolerance to internet latency is very poor and needs addressing.

Being able to applied handicaps to the results for a mixed ability tournaments will keep weaker bridge players interested

Sorry forgot to say after the tournament playing for e.g. grand master or solitaire works at normal speed

#10 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-30, 07:09

View Postpaharry, on 2021-March-30, 03:35, said:

Handicaps are such a contentious issue that it is no surprise that BBO does not support them; honestly I'm sure it would be far more work than any real benefit.

Those of us who do use handicaps process the results outside of BBO. BBO Extractor supports handicaps for matchpointed pairs and matchpointed individual events. Your regular scoring program presumably supports them too and hopefully it can input the BBO Extractor results.

Paul

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users