BBO Discussion Forums: Can I block specific forums ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can I block specific forums ?

#1 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,210
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Currently in New Zealand
  • Interests:Bridge, boogie boarding, hiking

Posted 2021-April-03, 14:21

I would like to block certain forums, such as the GIB discussion.
I have looked in the settings and can't find anything, is there a way to do this?

Thank you,
Searching for your own mistakes is the only way to learn this game. - Fluffy

And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly. - MikeH

SLOW DOWN! This is not a speedball :)
0

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,387
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2021-April-03, 14:48

View Postjillybean, on 2021-April-03, 14:21, said:

I would like to block certain forums, such as the GIB discussion.
I have looked in the settings and can't find anything, is there a way to do this?

Thank you,



Never found a way of doing so. I once asked and was told no.
The forum software is an unsupported legacy so I understand it cannot be changed, but I find it hard to imagine it did not support this obvious feature.
Maybe all it requires is a search in the documentation and perhaps a configuration change?
0

#3 User is online   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,164
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-April-03, 15:29

View Postpescetom, on 2021-April-03, 14:48, said:

Never found a way of doing so. I once asked and was told no.
The forum software is an unsupported legacy so I understand it cannot be changed, but I find it hard to imagine it did not support this obvious feature.
Maybe all it requires is a search in the documentation and perhaps a configuration change?

Assuming you're both talking about 'View New Content', it looks like this whole feature was rewritten in version 3.2.0 when it came out in 2011 (BBO is using 3.1.4) and filtering it by forum came just after that.
0

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,387
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2021-April-03, 15:56

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-April-03, 15:29, said:

Assuming you're both talking about 'View New Content', it looks like this whole feature was rewritten in version 3.2.0 when it came out in 2011 (BBO is using 3.1.4) and filtering it by forum came just after that.


Thanks.
Is there any good reason why BBO could not upgrade to 3.2.0 or later, even now?
1

#5 User is online   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,164
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-April-03, 16:01

I think barmar said somewhere they had to massively customise it to get the handviewer integrated (and maybe other aspects like syncing of logins), so upgrading it would break too much.
0

#6 User is offline   pilowsky 

  • pilowsky
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,200
  • Joined: 2019-October-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Writing, Learning, History, Politics

Posted 2021-April-03, 16:43

Why would you want to "block" something as inoffensive as GIB discussion on a Forum that is built around a computer game designed to operate with GIB at its core?
If you don't like it, ignore it.
non est deus ex machina; även maskiner behöver lite kärlek, J'ai toujours misé sur l'étrange gentillesse des robots.
0

#7 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,210
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Currently in New Zealand
  • Interests:Bridge, boogie boarding, hiking

Posted 2021-April-03, 17:10

Simply too much noise, I have no interest in GIB discussions.
Searching for your own mistakes is the only way to learn this game. - Fluffy

And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly. - MikeH

SLOW DOWN! This is not a speedball :)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users