• You cannot reply to this topic

-1100 Disaster (nz teams)

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-May-26, 15:03

We lost 14imps in one board here when partner forgot our 1nt run out, although if they leave our xx, I'm not sure if 2x fares any better.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-May-26, 16:47

The cost of doing business. I can’t remember how many time weak notrump ears brag to me about how rarely (some even claim ‘never’) go for a number. I just smile.

I’ve definitely gone for numbers. Two of my favourites were going 1100 when our teammates were plus 110...heck, there was literally zero difference between the scores....and going 1400 in a BAM event, winning when partners overbid to a lucky 1430.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-26, 17:03

Yep, it happens. Not as often as the strong NTers say it does, and I'm much more afraid of -200 into nothing at MPs and -500 into nothing at IMPs, but it happens.

We'd probably be 800 in 2Dx. And -100 into game next time.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-May-26, 17:22

These big numbers stick with me for a while. As you say, 2 is likely where we would be without the forget, and only 2 imps difference.
We started off this team series 00, then 01, 11, back to 00 against 2 good teams last night.
Tough games but I'm pretty happy with my play, I'll suit up and show next week.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-May-27, 01:56

you will win statistically in the long game, jillybean. that hand you put is a freak, all balanced all around, no five card suits. you can open 1 instead vulnerable in 3rd if you get heebies about opening 1Nt weak with minimum 12 high points in 3rd red. with partner passed you are unlikely to miss game so you have an option...

-1100 is worse score I have been down so you are in good company :)

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-27, 02:35

I don't think I've ever gone for more than 1100 in 1N, although I've extracted the whole 2000 on a remarkable hand where opener was never taking a trick in his own hand, but could have taken one in dummy if he'd discarded correctly.

This is very much an occupational hazard of the weak NT.

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-27, 07:35

View Postmikeh, on 2021-May-26, 16:47, said:

going 1100 when our teammates were plus 110...heck, there was literally zero difference between the scores....

Hilarious. Now I have to find a way to explain my (non bridge playing) colleagues why I’m laughing the hell out of me during our coffee break.

#8 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-May-28, 08:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-May-27, 02:35, said:

I don't think I've ever gone for more than 1100 in 1N, although I've extracted the whole 2000 on a remarkable hand where opener was never taking a trick in his own hand, but could have taken one in dummy if he'd discarded correctly.

This is very much an occupational hazard of the weak NT.

I play the weak NT at teams but I hardly ever use it when third in hand vulnerable.

With a 12 count you can pass without fear of missing a game, and with a decent 14 you can pretend to have 15.

#9 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 21:59

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-May-28, 08:30, said:

I play the weak NT at teams but I hardly ever use it when third in hand vulnerable.

There is certainly an argument to be made for opening 1 and passing any response (including 2). With such a poor suit though, this approach is just as likely to drop a trick or two on defence when partner takes us seriously. With a really good runout system, South can show a weak 3334 hand and get out into 2 of a red suit. Depending on their methods, sometimes opps find such a runout tricky to X with a 3-3 split. Losing a few IMPs sometimes from system choice is fine providing there are matching hands where we gain from that system.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users