• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MPs, your bid over weak two

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-August-11, 02:55

I was playing with a novice on Monday evening in my first F2F bridge session for a year and a half (and picked up the worst hands at the table again, some things never change!). This is an awkward situation she was in on one board.

KJ2
Q9
AKJ32
AQ7

MPs, partner passes, RHO opens a weak 2. Your basic system is Acol, three weak twos, weak NT. You are not playing Lebensohl, so if you double partner will bid 3 which won't necessarily show values.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-11, 03:23

X looks best, your strength (18 good points, Qx not included) is all enough to compensate for poor shape 3253. 3 looks wrong given your balanced shape. making guessing bid of 2NT will give poor result if opps. cash first 6 tricks. however, 2NT might work if partner has stop and useful side cards and suit (Kxxxx. But I still go with X as best bid here

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-11, 03:38

X, and you'd really want (transfer) Lebensohl here. In its absence I will bid 3 over 3.

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-11, 07:52

Double, but as this is match points I suspect this problem will be faced at most tables so my goal is to beat those who hold my cards. With my loser-count it seems unlikely for a passed hand partner to cover them all and my goal on this hand is a plus score of any kind So I will pass 3C as expectancy suggests partner to hold 6-7 points, we don’t have a major suit fit, I have too many losers for a minor suit game, they know what to lead against NT, and maybe the best reason of all - weak hands play better in their suit.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-August-11, 09:44

This was the full deal:

Partner didn't know what to do and blasted 5, not a success going four off for a bottom on the T lead (eight tricks are there double dummy). One pair found the making 3NT (I have no idea how). One North made nine tricks in 5 and one North went three off in 4. I don't think I played it right, I should not take the club finesse and instead cash the ace before crossing to hand then play to the queen, East then doesn't get a diamond ruff (me not planning carefully enough again).

I suggested if she really wants to bid again perhaps 3 would have been better, and I haven't guarenteed a five card suit. If I had shown the diamonds instead of the clubs we somewhat land on our feet, 10 tricks are available in a diamond contract, so we only go one off if she raises to game.

#6 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-August-19, 09:14

I will X then bid 3 over 3, suggesting a strong hand with 5 .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users