BBO Discussion Forums: BridgeMaster Level 3 B-10 question - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BridgeMaster Level 3 B-10 question

#1 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 994
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-September-14, 12:48

This hand is about counting opener's distribution by cashing diamonds after drawing trumps to deduce their minor suit length. The instructive point is that when East (after opening 2 and showing up with three spades) discards a heart on the third round of diamonds, their distribution is 3622. Dummy holds KTx and declarer holds Axx, so when declarer cashes the ace and a club honor falls from opener on the right, they are to deduce that they hold QJ doubleton and the correct play is to cash the king, felling the second missing honor card, promoting the ten to the tenth trick. My question is, if RHO is a world class player, could they possibly drop the jack or queen from Hx which would guide declarer into the losing line if they played as BridgeMaster advocates?
0

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,507
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2021-September-14, 13:43

Declarer is simply going off if they hang on to the honour so no
0

#3 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,326
  • Joined: 2008-September-10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-September-14, 14:40

View PostAL78, on 2021-September-14, 12:48, said:

My question is, if RHO is a world class player, could they possibly drop the jack or queen from Hx which would guide declarer into the losing line if they played as BridgeMaster advocates?

Playing an honor from Qx or Jx would be an example of a Grosvenor Gambit/Coup.

Grosvenor gambit
1

#4 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 994
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-September-14, 14:51

View Postjohnu, on 2021-September-14, 14:40, said:

Playing an honor from Qx or Jx would be an example of a Grosvenor Gambit/Coup.

Grosvenor gambit


Someone once pulled that coup against me. I had AKJTxx in dummy with no side entries, xx in hand, I was in a spade contract. I took the finesse which held, came back to hand, and took the finesse again, which lost. RHO had ducked holding Qxx. Suckered!!
0

#5 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 994
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-September-14, 14:52

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-September-14, 13:43, said:

Declarer is simply going off if they hang on to the honour so no


Yes, good point.
0

#6 User is online   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,385
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-September-14, 15:13

View PostAL78, on 2021-September-14, 14:51, said:

Someone once pulled that coup against me. I had AKJTxx in dummy with no side entries, xx in hand, I was in a spade contract. I took the finesse which held, came back to hand, and took the finesse again, which lost. RHO had ducked holding Qxx. Suckered!!

That's not a Grosvenor - ducking with the queen is often a good play in that situation.
0

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,507
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2021-September-14, 15:49

View PostAL78, on 2021-September-14, 14:51, said:

Someone once pulled that coup against me. I had AKJTxx in dummy with no side entries, xx in hand, I was in a spade contract. I took the finesse which held, came back to hand, and took the finesse again, which lost. RHO had ducked holding Qxx. Suckered!!


I fell foul of a funnier version of that, I ducked Kx over AQJ to a number in dummy, then discovered declarer didn't have the hand she bid and didn't have any way back to hand and so had to try to drop the K
0

#8 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 994
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-September-15, 02:50

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-September-14, 15:13, said:

That's not a Grosvenor - ducking with the queen is often a good play in that situation.


I asked her why she ducked and she couldn't answer, so I don't think they were of a standard where they are familiar with plays like that.
0

#9 User is offline   AL78 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 994
  • Joined: 2019-October-13

Posted 2021-September-15, 02:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-September-14, 15:49, said:

I fell foul of a funnier version of that, I ducked Kx over AQJ to a number in dummy, then discovered declarer didn't have the hand she bid and didn't have any way back to hand and so had to try to drop the K


Oops, what did your partner have to say about it?
0

#10 User is online   sfi 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,167
  • Joined: 2009-May-18
  • Location:Oz

Posted 2021-September-15, 03:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-September-14, 15:49, said:

I fell foul of a funnier version of that, I ducked Kx over AQJ to a number in dummy, then discovered declarer didn't have the hand she bid and didn't have any way back to hand and so had to try to drop the K

That's the sort of thing we all do once. You only need to start worrying if you do it again.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users