• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is a system too complicated?

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-September-29, 16:32

View Postpaulg, on 2021-September-29, 15:44, said:

(http://intercity.cloudapp.net/, next series starts in the spring, open to all, free, 16 board matches, mainly Europeans)

This is a fun event, but unfortunately the organiser refuses to mandate exchange or even use of convention cards, so can be a rough and unfair ride.

#22 User is offline   friedtufts 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-29, 18:09

in my humble opinion allowing acol bidding system to be used in open BBO games would lead to giving a substantial advantage to its users over opponents who re totally no used to dealing with it. It would be like allowing the Australian 'forcing pass" system to be used. In big international competitions teams must submit detailed summaries off their systems to their opponents before the matches are played so as to give the opponents time to familiarize themselves with their methods.

#23 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-September-29, 20:55

View Postfinesse157, on 2021-September-28, 08:32, said:

So, I could put this in the systems forum but the question is a little more broad.

I play regularly in the Acol/main rooms. When I play with my regular (tournament partner), we get abuse for playing a system that is too complicated.
The system is based on Acol+Multis with all the openings as per normal. However the initial responses may be artificial/relays.

We want to continue to play in the Acol room as we play in England but we are getting a lot of abuse/complaints about the complexity of the system.

Are we being to aggressive with the system, or are the complaints unwarranted.

NB We always alert the bids but even Advanced+ players have been known to complain/abuse us.

The Acol Club has a very simple rule. You can play non-Acol systems there but only if you tell your opponents in advance and leave if they are at all unhappy about it. Notice that Acol as a system is not just the opening bids, so if you are playing relay follow-ups you are not playing Acol and describing your system that way seems designed to mislead. Some players will be willing to play against your unusual method even in the Acol Club if you provide very precise descriptions of your bidding but by no means all. Finally, you can of course always go to the Main Bridge Club instead. Wherever you play, if you just give vague descriptions of your bids then you should not really expect anyone to want to play against you, regardless of where you set the room up.

#24 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-29, 21:24

View Postmycroft, on 2021-September-29, 14:23, said:

Just to let you know, "transfer responses to 1" were so out there and obnoxious, and difficult to defend against that until three years ago, they couldn't be played in the ACBL except in the absolute top bracket of knockouts and in separate Flight A events (which "never" happened, except on Sunday). And you had to have a complete written structure available for the opponents. Even now, it's not allowed in games limited to 3000 MPs or lower (94.3% of ACBL members are <3000 MPs).

Once again I have to lol at systems in the ACBL. Transfer responses to 1C are so common in Australia that people forget to pre-alert them in club games and nobody bats an eyelid. And I'm not talking just the top partnerships who play them - it's not unusual for a mid-field pair to do so. In fact, the more common reaction is surprise when I mention we're playing an artificial 1C (Polish) and they find out we're not playing transfers over that.

#25 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-30, 00:12

People "forget" to alert all sorts of things in Australia - it's the wild west down south.

#26 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-September-30, 00:13

There are a number of online events where you'd be very welcome, assuming you could get some teammates, where you'd get some good practice.

And all the EBU congresses are online, so you get a day's bridge for a tenner or so

#27 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2021-September-30, 01:11

View Postpescetom, on 2021-September-29, 16:32, said:

• BBO InterCity League: Wednesday evenings (http://intercity.cloudapp.net/, next series starts in the spring, open to all, free, 16 board matches, mainly Europeans)

This is a fun event, but unfortunately the organiser refuses to mandate exchange or even use of convention cards, so can be a rough and unfair ride.

That is fair, but the organiser has been consistent and even in the 36th edition has 70+ teams. In this edition I've sent system cards to opposing captains before matches as I known who has been playing: in the past that has been problematic since I've still been looking for pairs one hour before the game.

It is a less rigid and flexible event, but abusers tend not to be invited next time.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#28 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-September-30, 04:21

View Postfriedtufts, on 2021-September-29, 18:09, said:

in my humble opinion allowing acol bidding system to be used in open BBO games would lead to giving a substantial advantage to its users over opponents who re totally no used to dealing with it.

And why precisely should we care about this?

Bridge is a game of skill.
If you are not skilled in different aspects of the game, then you shouldn't expect to do well.

Players who only know how to play Acol will be at an equal disadvantage to those who only know how to play 2/1.

Players who know how to play both will be better positioned.

This is right and proper
Alderaan delenda est

#29 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-30, 04:29

yea - dulce et decorum est

#30 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-30, 07:01

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-September-30, 04:29, said:

One of the classics.

#31 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-September-30, 14:29

View Postfinesse157, on 2021-September-29, 10:44, said:

So, this is the tricky bit. The system is 4Cm, Weak NT, with standard openings at level 1. So, on the face of it, it is Acol based.
The 2 bids are Muidberg (2C=Str, 2D=Multi, 2M=Mm inter, 2N=mm weak). This structure is not that uncommon in an Acol club.

However, all responses a 1C opener are artificial with transfers and relay responses
1C
-1D/H Transfer to H/S
-1S Transfer to D or 6-9Bal
-1N Both majors or 10-12Bal
-2C Inverted
-2D Both majors weak
-2M Weak major 6+ suit.
-2N GF Bal

I take your points though about not being fair. We can tone the system down to play in the Acol room. So that might work at least in part for all parties.
In general we play in open competitions also and I've always thought the standard in the Acol club to be good enough so that people have at least been exposed to a system or 2.

That isn't Acol, so I would question your decision to try and play in the Acol club with it. I don't go to a bridge club and expect to be able to play poker. There are EBU games on BBO where many of the participants will be playing some form of Acol where you can test your system, and people won't get the hump.

#32 User is offline   gordlink 

• Pip

Posted 2021-September-30, 19:46

I often play the Toucan system which uses transfers over 1C openers, 1D is either 4 diamonds with a singleton or 6+ D. Majors are standard 2/1 and 1NT is 15-17. Originally, we pre-alerted, but now we just alert/explain the bid, not the ramifications. The system is legal and was named by Matt Smith, National ACBL Head Director. For those who want to improve their game, I recommend Toucan. I found it helped me "see" the distribution far better and it right sided the contract. Duplicate Bridge is made up of mostly seniors, people set in their ways and usually not friendly towards persons who play something different from themselves. Since we switched from pre-alerts to alerting just the bid as a transfer to the suit we identify, we have found we no longer get complaints. The opponents "see" the transfer or relay as some people call them, just like transfers over NT openers. Transfers are legal and right siding the contract is worth a half a trick. So try alerting only the bid, not the system. Good Luck.

#33 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-October-01, 02:10

View Postgordlink, on 2021-September-30, 19:46, said:

I often play the Toucan system which uses transfers over 1C openers, 1D is either 4 diamonds with a singleton or 6+ D. Majors are standard 2/1 and 1NT is 15-17. Originally, we pre-alerted, but now we just alert/explain the bid, not the ramifications. The system is legal and was named by Matt Smith, National ACBL Head Director. For those who want to improve their game, I recommend Toucan. I found it helped me "see" the distribution far better and it right sided the contract. Duplicate Bridge is made up of mostly seniors, people set in their ways and usually not friendly towards persons who play something different from themselves. Since we switched from pre-alerts to alerting just the bid as a transfer to the suit we identify, we have found we no longer get complaints. The opponents "see" the transfer or relay as some people call them, just like transfers over NT openers. Transfers are legal and right siding the contract is worth a half a trick. So try alerting only the bid, not the system. Good Luck.

Completely agree with you about the transfers. They are pretty common and defence is easy-peasy. Even in the UK where 5cM is not standard, it's club-level stuff. The challenging aspect of the OP's system is the two-way bids that are not actually transfers (like the 1NT response). hence my suggestion that the OP might supply a suggested defence to them to speed the game up.

#34 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-October-01, 08:48

The "best" defences, which I have been told is fundamentally behind "normal", are in fact easy. I also notice that those people - in the ACBL, the same people that need "complete, relatively simple, written" defences to conventions they don't want to play - have just shrugged their shoulders and said "oh, this is the best possible defence".

But with it now allowed (with Pre-Alert) in ACBL Open events, we shall see if better, or more aggressive, defences get developed.

Of course, none of this is relevant to the OP - "easy" or not, if it's not what the club wants in their game, then it shouldn't be played in that game. There are lots of games available for people to play in. Same as, if the *club* doesn't want me to play EHAA, whether or not it's technically legal to their rules, I find another club, or I play something acceptable to them and take my EHAA sessions to another game.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#35 User is offline   Pertinax 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-02, 16:03

Acol is bidding system based around a philosophy of simple, natural bidding where you can usually just "bid what you think you will make" (Dormer). EBU Standard Acol is a simple 4 Card Major Acol with only a few simple Duplicate conventions like Transfers. All Duplicate players can just sit down and play it, or play against it. The EBU has several levels of system restrictions for Duplicates in England based around the concept of EBU Standard Acol, and players are used to those, and like them.

There are different forms of Bridge. Bridge in the Relaxed and Acol Room are not tournaments, with experienced partnerships using complex partnership agreements battling it out, but casual walk-up Bridge. It involves players of varying abilities who are playing simple bridge without agreements and they are there to have fun and play cards as a social activity of an evening. Yes you can play whatever system you like on BBO. The counter is that opponents don't have to like your slow relay system, or play against you in a casual card game and "Ignore" you. It is hard to see what you would gain from practising against such players anyway.

The EBU runs Acol duplicate tournaments, the Main Room has players who play all sorts of systems And if you make friends and learn how the Acol Room functions, you will find that there are some very good players who play more complex system there too.

#36 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-04, 08:11

View Postsfi, on 2021-September-29, 21:24, said:

Once again I have to lol at systems in the ACBL. Transfer responses to 1C are so common in Australia that people forget to pre-alert them in club games and nobody bats an eyelid.

And millions of people speak German, yet most Americans can't understand it. I guess we must be pretty stupid.

Nobody bats an eyelid because it's so common. Familiarity and experience matters.

#37 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-04, 08:53

View Postbarmar, on 2021-October-04, 08:11, said:

Nobody bats an eyelid because it's so common. Familiarity and experience matters.

Straw man aside, that's sort of my point. The ACBL is so restrictive on systems that really simple things to deal with aren't allowed there. Which means people never learn how to defend against them and don't get to experiment with using them either.

#38 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-October-04, 10:28

I play a system that's totally Natural (no forcing or artificial openings, fewer artificial responses than "standard", ...) that until recently was considered "YELLOW" by Australian regulators - as dangerous and scary as Forcing Pass. They've changed it now - a couple of years before the ACBL changed to allow Transfer responses to 1.

Different spaces, different parochial attitudes.

I will admit, the ACBL has a lower opinion of their rank and file's attitude to strange than most - and from my experience, they're right. How much is cause and how much is effect is a question for the ages, but they're right.

Having said that - totally irrelevant to the OP (I know, thread drift is a thing). The OP wants to play relays and transfers in a room restricted to one "Approach Forcing system", and wonders why he's getting pushback. He's been informed that that is a reasonable thing (even if no club in Oz would do it), and ->here are places he can do what he wants (play his system against the kinds of systems he'll meet in English tournaments, rather than a swath of US-style 2/1) where he won't get that pushback. And it is, and there are.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#39 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-04, 10:48

View Postsfi, on 2021-October-04, 08:53, said:

Straw man aside, that's sort of my point. The ACBL is so restrictive on systems that really simple things to deal with aren't allowed there. Which means people never learn how to defend against them and don't get to experiment with using them either.

It's a chicken-and-egg problem.

But clubs aren't required to follow ACBL's restrictions, they can be more liberal, and many clubs are. And higher-level tournaments use the less restrictive convention charts.

#40 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-04, 10:56

It may not be too complicated but it's not Acol so you shouldn't play it in the Acol club.

As for normal EBU clubs it's more difficult to say. Those that specify ebu level 3 in the regulations obviously don't allow transfer responses to 1c, but since level 3 is retired there are probably many clubs that technically allow level 4 conventions despite not having had a debate about liberalisation.

But legal stuff aside, if your system annoys several opponents you shouldn't play it there, although you might look into improving the way you disclose the methods.

If you want to practice your system against Acol you could maybe find a willing couple to practice with privately.

Otherwise get a Jack license, then the bots can play Acol. They may not have an adequate defence against your system but you can add twalsh to Acol I think.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users