• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Pretty Play Creative Thinking

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-01, 18:21

Matchpoints. Lead J

South was an Intermediate player at our local club, but found a clever idea here. I don't think they played any unusual methods so 4H was too aggressive but West led the JC round to the queen, East showing an even number. What now?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-October-01, 18:57

lamford 'Matchpoints. Lead J. South was an Intermediate player at our local club, but found a clever idea here. I don't think they played any unusual methods so 4H was too aggressive but West led the JC round to the queen, East showing an even number. What now?'
++++++++++++++++++
Intriguing At match-points, I would cash AQ, ruff a and finesse Q, intending to ruff another .
(Alternatively, there might be case for advancing Q, at trick 2. If defenders duck,
I suppose I could discard a on a ) but I feel that I'm missing the point

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2021-October-02, 07:06

I believe that it is a question of not losing more than one trick of Spades, one of Hearts and one of Diamonds., Now, in trump suit, with Jxx vs Ax we would have two losers and therefore this should be ruled out. Perhaps the play must be set up in order to take advantage of tricks in dummy in order to have a restart to play the Diamonds from which to obtain the remaining tricks to fullfill the contract and possibly be able to play them as safety.

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-02, 09:48

View Postnige1, on 2021-October-01, 18:57, said:

lamford 'Matchpoints. Lead J. South was an Intermediate player at our local club, but found a clever idea here. I don't think they played any unusual methods so 4H was too aggressive but West led the JC round to the queen, East showing an even number. What now?'
++++++++++++++++++
Intriguing At match-points, I would cash AQ, ruff a and finesse Q, intending to ruff another .
(Alternatively, there might be case for advancing Q, at trick 2. If defenders duck,
I suppose I could discard a on a ) but I feel that I'm missing the point

Indeed. You mention the only winning line to lead the QS and hope West ducks. It will look to West as though you need an entry to finesse in diamonds and hearts. She had Axxx xx xx KJTxx and when she ducked you play the ace of clubs and another club pitching the king of spades. West is toast.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-October-02, 11:36

View Postlamford, on 2021-October-02, 09:48, said:

Indeed. You mention the only winning line to lead the QS and hope West ducks. It will look to West as though you need an entry to finesse in diamonds and hearts. She had Axxx xx xx KJTxx and when she ducked you play the ace of clubs pitching the king of spade and another club. West is toast.

How do you pitch the king of spades on the club ace when dummy is required to follow suit?

It looks to me as though a line that works is a spade to the king followed by the diamond finesse and then the ace of clubs and a club. pitching the losing spade on the third club.

The real trick to the hand is that on the 4th club from west declarer has to pitch a diamond .
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-October-02, 13:09

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-October-02, 11:36, said:

How do you pitch the king of spades on the club ace when dummy is required to follow suit?

It looks to me as though a line that works is a spade to the king followed by the diamond finesse and then the ace of clubs and a club. pitching the losing spade on the third club.

The real trick to the hand is that on the 4th club from west declarer has to pitch a diamond .

++++++++++++++++++
Lamford's deal is pretty :) If LHO ducks declarer's Q at trick 2, then you can make, whatever you play from dummy, If you duck in dummy, you continue by cashing your remaining top and discarding a losing on a 3rd . If West leads a 4th then you discard a from dummy and East is "squeezed", (If East discards 2 diamonds, you don't need the finesse). You can now ruff a safely in dummy and take any necessary red suit finesse(s).

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-02, 13:24

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-October-02, 11:36, said:

It looks to me as though a line that works is a spade to the king

I guess the idea is that if you lead the 5 of spades, West is not as likely to duck. Playing queen to the king would be silly at MP but queen and low still works with the rest of the line.

[edit] Not sure if that's true at all though, South could easily have Qxx and ducking seems right there too, if not more so..

[edit2] Oh right. Queen also works if *East* ducks the ace.

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-October-02, 14:12

View Postnige1, on 2021-October-02, 13:09, said:

++++++++++++++++++
Lamford's deal is pretty :) If LHO ducks declarer's Q at trick 2, then you can make, whatever you play from dummy, If you duck in dummy, you continue by cashing your remaining top and discarding a losing on a 3rd . If West leads a 4th then you discard a from dummy. You can now ruff a safely in dummy and take red suit finesses.

Yes, I see. Thank you.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users