• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Many Lines Plan the Play 2

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-27, 09:25

Teams. Lead K

Again you miss the best contract of 3NT as partner thinks he has a slam-try as North. West leads the king of clubs. Over to you.

"To go off in one cold game might be regarded as a misfortune; to go off in two looks like carelessness."
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-October-27, 11:28

lamford, on 2021-October-27, 09:25, said:

Lead K

Again you miss the best contract of 3NT as partner thinks he has a slam-try as North. West leads the king of clubs. Over to you.

"To go off in one cold game might be regarded as a misfortune; to go off in two looks like carelessness."

Ignoring the play problem for a moment, I think North should have bid slam. Obviously if 5D is a play problem slam would be more so!

Over 3C south bid 3H. He either has an extra values 6-4 red hand or, as here, a 1543/2542 hand with no club stopper.

Hence he has good red cards.

North covers all south’s black losers so for slam to be good all he needs is for south to have opening values in the red suits…surely not unreasonable?

As it is, slam is laydown on a 3-2 trump break.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-27, 12:13

You missed the best contract of 6 but you can't beat anyone who finds that if it makes. My inclination would be to think a lot pairs will be in 3NT and that looks to be making at least ten tricks, and the only way to do better is if 3NT makes exactly 10 tricks and you can come to 13 tricks. Hope the diamonds are 3-2, hope the heart finesse works, dump the club losers on the top spades, if the heart finesse works you have a ruffing finesse against West. Do all that in the order which makes the most efficient use of entries. If you can only make +600 or +620 I think you have to accept a poor score.

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-27, 13:13

mikeh, on 2021-October-27, 11:28, said:

Ignoring the play problem for a moment, I think North should have bid slam. Obviously if 5D is a play problem slam would be more so!

That is a interesting theory, mikeh. If I were in 6 I will guess that the opponents are there also, so I would go for the best line imo and hope that the opponents do not find it.

The problem with being in 5 only is that you may think your opponents are in 6 and lose concentration as you feel you should have been in slam. the main concern is making 5 when 6 is not making, so you plan for that situation with possible bad breaks trying your best to succeed in the game contract and hope that the opponents slam is down.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users