• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid Out of Rotation

#21 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-December-26, 02:50

The comparable call is obviously an experiment gone wrong. Just let the auction continue and apply 23C when necessary. I wsh the WBFLC takes that line in 2027, but, based on experience, I’m afraid it will be changed into something still more complicated for your average TD.
Joost

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-26, 12:33

Or, you know, try to educate them. Have a discussion essay available, and every year, when we find the weird bits we hadn't really thought of before, add them to the essay.

If we can get to the point where 90% of the time, the club directors are 90% right, we're good. Really, we are. Frankly, 80% of comparable call situations are obvious even to the players; if the directors are 10% better, they can explain it when necessary; and the other 10% likely nobody notices, and if they do, they probably don't care more than a correction later. It's a club game, yes? Aren't we supposed to "be friendly" in the clubs? (yes, there's lots of sarcasm there, but again, 90% of the time, that's 90% right).

Tournaments are another issue. But there, the directors have access to other directors, much more experience, high-level players to consult with in case their play skills aren't up to the crazy situation presented, and a good knowledge of when to apply L81 when they get it wrong at the table.

I seriously have trouble believing that anybody who can think about playing Spiral Scan or Smolen or Precision can't understand L23. Doesn't care to - yep, I can get that. Would rather feel that the director hates them than understand a fairly simple (again, 90% of the time) few paragraphs? Oh, sure.

Plus, if we just go with "make it sufficient, let the TD handle the 23C cases", I can already hear Vampyr screaming about being taken advantage of. And she'll be right.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users