Posted 2022-April-20, 23:40

Does a splinter mean I have the Ace

Rather sad that the Bot on lead had it

I had considered checking controls myself but decided on the splinter first

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-21, 06:45

I personally would not have used a Soloway jump shift as the suit is not good enough imo. Though that does not excuse the robot bidding a grand slam missing an ace. Maybe it just added 16 points to 17 and thought 'grand slam' (but that is a crazy decision!)

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-21, 12:26

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-April-21, 06:45, said:

I personally would not have used a Soloway jump shift as the suit is not good enough imo. Though that does not excuse the robot bidding a grand slam missing an ace. Maybe it just added 16 points to 17 and thought 'grand slam' (but that is a crazy decision!)

Thanks for the support regarding the Grand. I did realise that the hearts are not really Soloway worthy but went for it anyway. I keep having misadventures with Soloway's but figured I had the right hand shape for it this time. Sadly it went wrong again. I should have used a different approach. Its remarkably disheartening putting your hand down when opps have already led an Ace

EDIT should that be Soloway's, Soloways or Soloways' I'm sure the last is wrong

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-21, 12:45

View Postthepossum, on 2022-April-21, 12:26, said:

EDIT should that be Soloway's, Soloways or Soloways' I'm sure the last is wrong

A good rule with plural's is to just add an s :)

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-21, 13:36

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-April-21, 06:45, said:

Heart suit isn't good enough? When you are showing a two suited hand with support for partner, all it promises is 2 of the top 3 honors (and could even be 5 cards). You might be mixing it up with the case where you're planning to show a 1 suited hand with hearts.

Seems like thepossum got it exactly right. GIB just over counted points (it adds 3 for its void even in your suit).

#6 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-21, 14:40

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-April-21, 13:36, said:

Heart suit isn't good enough? When you are showing a two suited hand with support for partner, all it promises is 2 of the top 3 honors (and could even be 5 cards). You might be mixing it up with the case where you're planning to show a 1 suited hand with hearts.

Seems like thepossum got it exactly right. GIB just over counted points (it adds 3 for its void even in your suit).

I realize you know GIB bidding, smerriman, and I am not familiar with GIB bidding myself, but what opening bid will GIB make with a 4432 hand that can not be opened 1NT? I realize also that with 4432 partner has an easy raise to 3 but it takes away bidding space using Soloway. There again different partnerships use Soloway differently. I prefer to use it with a solid suit or semi-solid of 6 cards+ missing just the ace - for your example AKQJxx or KQJT9x so partner can support with stiff only. Useful for MPs when a 6M slam scores more than a 6m slam. And I agree, maybe I was being a bit too defining with my Soloway structure: South's hand is worth 2 over 1 on the hand given, it was just crazy when the robot added 3 points for void in suit and went to 7.

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-21, 15:53

It opens 1, but yes, that's definitely not something you have to worry about here :)

Unrelated to GIB, the main reason Soloway is good for the two-suited-with-support hands is that it's hard to show by starting with 1 - you often have to go through a fourth suit forcing sequence, and by the time you've gotten around to bidding diamonds you could be at the 3 or 4 level, without having shown any shortage yet (and possibly not even clear if you have slam interest or were looking for 3NT, or whether opener is giving preference to your heart suit, or whether they have the missing honor in hearts). So Soloway actually *saves* space and gives you a lot of important info quickly.

Suits like AKQJxx or KQJT9x are good for Soloway too, but in that case you have a self-sufficient suit - so don't need to treat these as two suited.

#8 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-21, 17:58

View Postpescetom, on 2022-April-21, 12:45, said:

A good rule with plural's is to just add an s :)

Do you know what possessive means? (EDIT added question mark and fixed spelling since we arguing about punctuation! :) )

#9 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-21, 17:59

By the way I think quibbling over AKQxxx or AKJxxx of hearts when the problem is a missing Ace is immaterial

#10 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-21, 18:47

View Postthepossum, on 2022-April-21, 17:59, said:

By the way I think quibbling over AKQxxx or AKJxxx of hearts when the problem is a missing Ace is immaterial

You could argue that posting about GIB bugs is immaterial too since they're not going to be fixed :) But they spark interesting discussions about real bridge, whether directly or indirectly, which are never immaterial.

#11 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-22, 06:12

View Postthepossum, on 2022-April-21, 17:58, said:

Do you know what possessive means? (EDIT added question mark and fixed spelling since we arguing about punctuation! :) )

we (are) arguing...
...or were?

#12 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-24, 10:38

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-April-22, 06:12, said:

we (are) arguing...
...or were?

No idea what happened that missing word. It a lot on social media

#13 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-24, 10:42

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-April-21, 18:47, said:

You could argue that posting about GIB bugs is immaterial too since they're not going to be fixed :) But they spark interesting discussions about real bridge, whether directly or indirectly, which are never immaterial.

Fair point that arguing about anything is never really immaterial. Whether its useful or productive or not is another matter :)

What amused me about the Soloway debate/discussion is that you could imagine a human North, after the ambitious/pre-emptive 7D bid, blaming it all on South

I could be being very hard on GiB. Maybe the odds weren't bad but I like a bit more certainty on Trick 1 of a grand

Don't tell me the additional point in Hearts was material to the simulation

EDIT Just for fun I ran a meaningless sim and perhaps unsurprisingly the point in hearts was material simply to the chance of making a small slam in diamonds - and before anyone picks me up of course I realise that a Grand is part of the chance of making a Small

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-25, 14:40

View Postthepossum, on 2022-April-21, 17:58, said:

Yes, I have a fairly good idea about possessive's, thanks
:)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users