• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Right on Q RR wrong?

#21 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-May-19, 23:04

The obligation to explain methods clearly is absolute. North infracted. RR was misled. One adjusts to what would have happened without the infraction.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#22 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2022-May-19, 23:04

D

#23 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2022-May-19, 23:05

T

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-20, 12:56

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-May-19, 17:45, said:

Que?

Queue.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-May-20, 14:03

View PostEvies Dad, on 2022-May-19, 16:14, said:

As someone who reads without pronouncing the words in my head I would not equate Q and cue.

What would non English speakers make of it ?

Just feels lazy to me.

Many non English speakers use the term cuebid here, but would never guess that Q might be intended as equivalent.

Nor would they necessarily assume that cuebid promises first level control, as it seems is the agreement here: if one assumes that the opponents know the precise agreement then it seems pointless to name it in the first place.

Supply an explanation, not a name, is always a sound principle.

#26 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2022-May-20, 14:25

A very common phrace in French is: Qu'est-ce que c'est meaning (depending upon the context) something like 'WHAT?', so I guess 'Q' would be completely meaningless to a french-speaking player?

#27 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-20, 14:29

View Postpran, on 2022-May-20, 14:25, said:

A very common phrace in French is: Qu'est-ce que c'est meaning (depending upon the context) something like 'WHAT?', so I guess 'Q' would be completely meaningless to a french-speaking player?

or Quoi - What

#28 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-20, 19:21

...and RR was playing with SB who tested positive for Covid and had to play online

Which of these players has COVID, is non-english speaking and had to play online?
Or is the implication that Kevin and Enid, playing in Sydney, doesn't understand English?

It seems that possible that SB is the one with English problems (and difficulty with anger management) since he identifies Enid from Sydney - playing North - as male -

"I thought about it", responded RR, "but North showed the queen with his 4D bid, as he announced,

OTOH - many people have difficulty with English.
Given that there is no comprehensive list of acceptable statements laid down in the laws to inform opponents about the meaning of bids and calls, doesn't this imply that a player is entitled to make an explanation that believe is sufficient to convey meaning and that if the opponent still believes there is room for doubt that the onus is on them to seek clarification?

It is very easy to make post hoc statements along the lines "If only they had told me that (insert rationalisation here) then I would obviously have done (insert beneficial action here).
In this case the situation is even more bizarre because the plaintiff is saying, post hoc, that if a particular statement was made (in response to their question) then another person would have taken an action that is more to their liking.
In fact it seems that SB clearly understood the meaning of Q since he asserted to RR that "I would have...".

Is RR the only Qless person here.

#29 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2022-May-21, 03:27

However I continue to find that it is strange: 1) that you can make a cue-bid at the fourth level that indicates a Queen if it is not foreseen by the system in use by the pair and also that none of the other pair asks for an explanation immediately; 2) if the bidding was not understood as a cue but as Queen, why was an immediate explanation not requested?; 3) in the case of complete misunderstanding (= Q was not understood as either Q or as a cue-bid) why no explanation was asked for the bid that was not clear? The fact of doing this in the post-mortem after the slam had been made and even requesting this vehemently suggests that some other way of getting a correction to a negative result can perhaps was desired.

#30 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-May-26, 09:16

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-May-17, 14:33, said:

Q for cue is standard.

This is probably only true in the English-speaking parts of the world, since it comes from the similar pronunciation of the letter and the word.

#31 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2022-May-26, 09:18

View Postpran, on 2022-May-17, 16:20, said:

To be a 'standard' it must have been defined as such in publication(s) generally known to anybody who must be expected to encounter this term.
Where can we find the definition that 'Q' is short for 'cue'???

That's true for de jure standards, not for de facto standards. The latter arise organically through popular use.

#32 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2022-May-26, 09:27

View Postpescetom, on 2022-May-20, 14:03, said:

Nor would they necessarily assume that cuebid promises first level control, as it seems is the agreement here: if one assumes that the opponents know the precise agreement then it seems pointless to name it in the first place.

There are basically just two common cue-bidding styles: 1) (traditional) show 1st-round controls first, then show 2nd-round controls, and 2) (Italian-style) cue-bids show 1st or 2nd round controls.

But there's essentially no system where one would immediately start showing queens. That only becomes possible after other bids that confirm most of the 1st- and 2nd-round controls, or in response to specific asking bids (e.g. the trump queen ask in RKCB). A beginner might not realize this, but anyone who has been as unlucky as RR for as long as he has should realize it.

#33 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2022-May-26, 13:52

View Postpran, on 2022-May-17, 16:20, said:

To be a 'standard' it must have been defined as such in publication(s) generally known to anybody who must be expected to encounter this term.
Where can we find the definition that 'Q' is short for 'cue'???

View Postbarmar, on 2022-May-26, 09:18, said:

That's true for de jure standards, not for de facto standards. The latter arise organically through popular use.

Quite so - and de facto standards only exist (as 'standards') when part of everybody's fundamental knowledge, not just as part of 'somebody's own experience.

#34 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-May-26, 15:22

View Postbarmar, on 2022-May-26, 09:27, said:

There are basically just two common cue-bidding styles: 1) (traditional) show 1st-round controls first, then show 2nd-round controls, and 2) (Italian-style) cue-bids show 1st or 2nd round controls.

Agreed (more or less), but that is my point: "control bid" (let alone "cue bid") has no single automatic meaning and is not a legitimate explanation of the agreement.
Why not explain "1st level control" or "1st or 2nd level control" and specify the inference that it denies the same in the suit that was skipped ?
Both are obligations of Law.

View Postbarmar, on 2022-May-26, 09:27, said:

But there's essentially no system where one would immediately start showing queens. That only becomes possible after other bids that confirm most of the 1st- and 2nd-round controls, or in response to specific asking bids (e.g. the trump queen ask in RKCB). A beginner might not realize this, but anyone who has been as unlucky as RR for as long as he has should realize it.

Agreed by almost everyone here, including me.

#35 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2022-May-31, 11:01

View Postpescetom, on 2022-May-26, 15:22, said:

Agreed (more or less), but that is my point: "control bid" (let alone "cue bid") has no single automatic meaning and is not a legitimate explanation of the agreement.
Why not explain "1st level control" or "1st or 2nd level control" and specify the inference that it denies the same in the suit that was skipped ?
Both are obligations of Law.

It's my understanding that "control" without any qualification means 1st or 2nd round control. If I explain a bid as showing "a heart control", it could be any of Ace, King, singleton, or void in hearts.

What differs among bidding agreements is whether a control cue bid shows any control or shows a specific control in the designated suit. The latter case is the one where you need to be specific, although I prefer to be explicit in both cases to avoid any confusion.

#36 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-May-31, 11:28

View Postbarmar, on 2022-May-31, 11:01, said:

It's my understanding that "control" without any qualification means 1st or 2nd round control. If I explain a bid as showing "a heart control", it could be any of Ace, King, singleton, or void in hearts.

What differs among bidding agreements is whether a control cue bid shows any control or shows a specific control in the designated suit. The latter case is the one where you need to be specific, although I prefer to be explicit in both cases to avoid any confusion.

That would be a reasonable Regulation, but it's not an understanding I think one is entitled to, even in Italy where the undifferentiated 1st/2nd style originated. I meet plenty of pairs who show 1st level first, or even only Aces.

There are also inferences from bids that were not made which are often unpredictable and should be disclosed: for instance, if trumps are hearts and my partner bids 3 showing 1st or 2nd round control, then my 4 shows the same in clubs but also denies the same in spades.

#37 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2022-May-31, 21:44

IME, if you leave any ambiguity at all in your explanation, your opponent will make a wrong assumption about your partnership understanding. And sometimes they'll do that even if you don't leave any ambiguity.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#38 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2022-June-01, 12:58

View Postblackshoe, on 2022-May-31, 21:44, said:

IME, if you leave any ambiguity at all in your explanation, your opponent will make a wrong assumption about your partnership understanding. And sometimes they'll do that even if you don't leave any ambiguity.

Even partner will usually misread any ambiguity, let alone opponent.
But giving a micrometric explanation is rarely going to be appropriate either: I think one of the skills of a good bridge player is balancing between brevity and intuition of what the opponents really need to know at this moment.
It helps to have some idea of what they understand (or not) about your system.
It helps (them and bridge, not your score) to desire effective disclosure, the rest is a consequence.

#39 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-01, 15:45

What does IME mean?

#40 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2022-June-01, 19:03

In my experience.
--------------------

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users