Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do the possible bids mean ?

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-May-24, 11:02

So now what do the bids mean, and particularly what is 4 ?

This is culled from a BW thread and I thought it was interesting to see what people thought, it is by no means certain that 4 would be bid, and I might avoid it precisely because I wasn't sure about what came next.

Having answered, this is the actual S hand, what do you do ?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-May-24, 13:58

very good hand to post. 4 say to me slam interest, suit and support. You are more than minimum so I would bid 4 here, accept invitation. Await partner's next bid. Partner may be void in and have wasted values. I do not like the suit and me playing hand as South. Bidding 4 instead of 4 is not telling truth to partner though.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-May-24, 14:53

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-24, 13:58, said:

very good hand to post. 4 say to me slam interest, suit and support. You are more than minimum so I would bid 4 here, accept invitation. Await partner's next bid. Partner may be void in and have wasted values. I do not like the suit and me playing hand as South. Bidding 4 instead of 4 is not telling truth to partner though.

Does 4 have to have spades ? what do you do with 8 decent diamonds and a card or two ? do you have to bid more diamonds than that first time ?

#4 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-May-24, 14:55

I wasn't sure whether 4 showed support or was just natural given it was'nt a fit jump. 4 may then show support which leaves a rebid or 4NT if that is natural.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-24, 15:23

To me:
4S = extra spade length
4nt = natural (meta-agreement with partners, if 4nt can make sense as natural, it is)
5c = 5+ clubs
4H = you forced me, I don't know what to do, suggest something. (at least initially).

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-24, 15:50

To me 4 is either diamonds+spades, or such a big diamond that we are rebidding diamonds. 5 directly would have been weaker. We assume spades for this round (if not partner will correct), so:
4 last train, extras, does not promise or deny a heart stopper.
4 minimum.
4NT RKC for spades, promises a heart stopper.
5 probably just crazy, should be a club control and diamond support but two (or more) heart losers.

Having seen the hand, 4 looks fine to me.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-25, 03:17

I think 4 could be based on diamonds only or both minors, although those hands will often double. But I think you have to avoid double with hands that are unsuitable for defence. So I don't think that 4 promises spade support.

As for opener's bids now:
4 would ostensibly be choice of game, and secondarily some slam try, maybe specifically with diamonds support. The a slam try in spades could bid 4NT directly.
4 would show extra length.
4NT would be nice to have as a natural bid and quite possibly it should be. RKC for spades, or just a general try for 4, is an alternative. Although the given hand would really like to bid a natural 4NT I think this is infrequent.
5 I would take as natural, but probably it is better to play it as a a slam try in diamonds, then 4 would promise a flexible hand (or a slam try in spades, maybe, if direct 4NT is natural).

With this hand I bid 4, if partner can show a doubleton spades I am happy with 4.
If you don't have an agreement, you don't have an illegal agreement. Except in the ACBL, where apparently you can have an agreement even if you don't have one :) --- Blackshoe

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-25, 09:50

I play that double asks partner to bid three no trump with a stop (thrump): this is also the only way to force with a minor or minors.

3 is a simple raise and three no trump is to play.

4/4 are cue bids with slam interest in spades.

4 is a good 4 bid.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-May-25, 10:39

View Postpaulg, on 2022-May-25, 09:50, said:

I play that double asks partner to bid three no trump with a stop (thrump): this is also the only way to force with a minor or minors.

3 is a simple raise and three no trump is to play.

4/4 are cue bids with slam interest in spades.

4 is a good 4 bid.

What do you do with something like a BW death hand ? 6 or 7 nearly solid diamonds, 3 spades to an honour and another card ? x-p-3N-p-4 or bury the diamonds ?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users