BBO Discussion Forums: Missed slam, how should we have bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missed slam, how should we have bid?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-August-06, 05:43

MPs, I was North. The diamonds split 3-3 and the defence failed to cash their spades at trick 1 so I made 13 tricks, which was a good score at the time as only one pair had found the cold 6. With a slam this rock solid, I feel we should have been able to find it. How should we have bid it?

Our system was 5 card majors, strong NT, weak twos in majors, 2 = Acol strong 2 hand or 22-23 balanced, 2 = GF or 24+ balanced. The slam investigation tools we have available are RKCB and cue bidding.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-August-06, 06:58

I do not think it is easy to bid, but South must bid 4 here after 3NT. The Q10 are good cards. Partner has bid 3 on the second round. You have a good hand and good controls so I feel you must go on. (Some players may have gadgets here where 4 or 4 here show controls and agrees suit, but that will be few. 4 is what most players will bid imo.)

#3 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-August-06, 09:13

After 3, which says 6+ and and a modified loosing trick count of 6 or less, South's hand with 6.5 losers, an 8-card fit in at least one suit, singleton, Ace, and Q trumps in the known eight card fit screams slam try for me.

I'm OK to ignore a potential 2nd minor suit fit and I would use 2NT to show 1 of 3 hand types including 6+ with 3M support. In this case straight to 4 using Kickbo showing an odd number of keycards and control. North responds 4 showing the control and continued slam interest. South then places the contract in 6 or can continue cue-bidding looking for the grand.

Even with RKCB I would make the 4 bid and move to 6 even being blind on the control.

Moving from 3NT to 4 is also a slam try for me and I would again use Kickbo to establish controls and keycards, with South's 3 bid retrospectively also being used as a control bid with a grand potential

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-06, 10:51

I think S is a bit too heavy, even at MPs, to pass. The trump Q, the singleton and the promising D suit are good factors for slam. Just hope partner doesn’t have xx S!

#5 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-06, 14:49

View Postapollo1201, on 2022-August-06, 10:51, said:

I think S is a bit too heavy, even at MPs, to pass. The trump Q, the singleton and the promising D suit are good factors for slam. Just hope partner doesn’t have xx S!

A bit?

The ace and queen of diamonds are unbid so far.

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2022-August-06, 16:28

With 4 as cue to agree on the other cue of 4 will probably start and then with 5 (= King) by S you should close the discussion by jumping to 6 with the single in . I cannot understand how this slam can be lost after opener has jumped to 3 indicating a hand of 16-18 points and with 6 / + cards at least and then with S's hand there should be no doubt about where to go.(Lovera)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users