BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid, what else do you consider ? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid, what else do you consider ?

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-04, 13:03

What do you bid ? do you think about doing anything else ?

As far as I remember, (one of my ops had this problem) 5 card majors weak no trump, unsure what they do with 5M332.

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 13:11

I would have bid 3 instead of doubling. But I'm probably wrong.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-September-04, 13:27

I would probably bid 3 now.

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:01

I bid 4. You're likely to make opposite many good SUBminimums - say Kx KQxxx xxx Qxx

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:04

3 last round. There is no correct bid now, since no followup to double shows a hand that shouldn't double. If 3 was a non-jump fitbid that would be good as well, but with an unpassed hand it's just a game force with clubs for me so that doesn't work.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:31

OK, there are enough people that think this is a decent hand as I did.

What actually happened was that partner hesitated before passing over 2, now what do you think you may be constrained to do.

#7 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:47

Not sure what the X is trying to say, but 4 now, with a good chance of making opposite a non-min.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:53

View Postmw64ahw, on 2022-September-04, 14:47, said:

Not sure what the X is trying to say, but 4 now, with a good chance of making opposite a non-min.

Did you read the preceding post, and is there a TD ? :)

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:56

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-September-04, 13:11, said:

I would have bid 3 instead of doubling. But I'm probably wrong.

Could someone who plays Support Double please comment on the implications of 3 and 4 instead?

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:57

View Postpescetom, on 2022-September-04, 14:53, said:

Did you read the preceding post, and is there a TD ? :)

County match, teams, playing TD

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 14:58

Without the hesitation I would bid 3 as it does not maybe have enough for a certain 4 opposite a partner who kept quiet, but with that hesitation I think I still bid 3 with justification.

#12 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 15:01

View Postpescetom, on 2022-September-04, 14:56, said:

Could someone who plays Support Double please comment on the implications of 3 and 4 instead?

Not sure what this means; support doubles are by opener, not responder, so not applicable to this auction.

With a hesitation, 3 seems the only option.

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-04, 15:06

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-September-04, 15:01, said:

Not sure what this means; support doubles are by opener, not responder, so not applicable to this auction.

With a hesitation, 3 seems the only option.

And here is the rub, partner has hesitated with a complete heap, J10x, AKQxx, xxxx, x game is still not terrible (you need to avoid a spade ruff) but is sub optimal when trumps are 5-0. We couldn't however beat 3.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-04, 15:27

Ignoring what opener held for his bizarre BIT, as west, were I polled by a TD, I’d state that west has an easy 4H bid over 3D. Ironically, the misbid (as I see it) of the double gives him no realistic choice now, since having doubled rather than cuebid, he’s had the chance to learn that north likes his hand for diamonds. Given that there are only 40 hcp in the deck, that suggests that opener has little to no wastage in diamonds, hence west’s hand grows up.

Now, it’s tough to argue that ‘any good player would bid 4H, with no logical alternative’, as I would see matters, while also saying that west is entitled to be viewed as a good player since, imo, few good players, in a 5 card major system, would double 2D.

Support with support is a mantra for a reason. Partners tend to like learning early of support…it lets them evaluate better.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-04, 15:46

I thought hesitating on a heap so partner takes the low road was one of the more heinous offences around and got a PP most of the time. This one is slightly complicated as he has very good hearts and it's not clear what X would have meant.

#16 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 17:22

View Postmikeh, on 2022-September-04, 15:27, said:

Support with support is a mantra for a reason. Partners tend to like learning early of support…it lets them evaluate better.

Agree. If partner (opener) is 45 shape, there is little chance that a 4 contract will play any better than a 4 contract, and the same applies if he has AKxx AKxxxx xx x or similar and can make a small slam.

West has three card with an honor support for partner's suit, a stiff in the opps suit and a AK in a side suit. Bidding X instead of 3 here is the wrong bid imo. If you do not show support immediately, there is a chance that the opps, on certain hands with distributional values, could be bidding 5 before the bidding comes back around to you. It is more easy for partner and for you to judge if you support his suit immediately imo.

#17 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-September-04, 20:19

it seems clear-cut to support hearts. Could have done without the hesitation. The hesitation tends to imply extras, so I'd expect my proper action to be 3H rather than 4H, trying not to take advantage

#18 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-04, 20:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-04, 15:46, said:

I thought hesitating on a heap so partner takes the low road was one of the more heinous offences around and got a PP most of the time. This one is slightly complicated as he has very good hearts and it's not clear what X would have meant.

If you have agreed Reverse Weasel then it seems clear that 4 is your only ethical call here but that 3 is the systemic one - which did you choose? Has the 1 opening really promised 5 though? I thought you played Acol with 4 card majors and you have consistently reported here that bridge in East Anglia has not yet caught up with the 21st century.

#19 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-05, 00:02

Maybe I'm just in a privileged environment, where I feel confident that my fellow club members aren't skirting the edges of the rules (and they feel the same about me), but I think many people take 'crazy' actions just to avoid possible accusations of making use of unauthorised information. I much prefer to make the bid that I feel my hand indicates, and if the opponents feel slighted by my or my partner's tempo I suggest they call the director. This whole 'my partner paused so now I must trash the hand' attitude never worked for me - and actually puts great pressure on me when I have a tough decision, because if partner were to subscribe to this theory there is an added downside to taking a minute to think!
Also pausing to think isn't bad in and of itself. I've so far been in several situations where I took a while to think, and after that my opponents asked politely if we agreed there had been a break in tempo (and we agreed), and that was the end of it. You're not supposed to stop playing simply because people burn some time, with or without a good reason.
In fact, I feel that more often than not this argument is a blame transfer ("I didn't know whether I'm worth 3 or 4, but thankfully I don't have to decide because partner paused for three extra seconds, so if we score 3+1 I have my story straight.").

You are clearly worth 4 on the auction, although partner might raise a brow at your lack of support the previous round.

#20 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-05, 02:38

View PostGilithin, on 2022-September-04, 20:28, said:

If you have agreed Reverse Weasel then it seems clear that 4 is your only ethical call here but that 3 is the systemic one - which did you choose? Has the 1 opening really promised 5 though? I thought you played Acol with 4 card majors and you have consistently reported here that bridge in East Anglia has not yet caught up with the 21st century.

Was my opps auction, I overcalled the diamonds

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users