BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid, what else do you consider ? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid, what else do you consider ?

#41 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-11, 23:15

View Postpescetom, on 2022-September-07, 09:14, said:

I can hit East's hesitation with a small PP if I consider it unduly slow play and with a bigger one if I retain it was intended to convey UI. But if West previously underbid and Pass is not an LA, then 3 is the book bid for West to avoid being ruled against, even if East is likely to raise it to game. Even if I poll and find that everyone thinks like mikeh that 4 is the only LA (and it's not going to happen) then it's hard to pin anything on 3, especially by someone who already misbid in the same hand.

Note that I did qualify my view that 4H is the only logical call by noting that, to paraphrase, the ability/willingness to see that one’s hand is now worth 4H absent any BIT is inconsistent with being the type of player who doubles 2D.

As I understand it, when assessing LA’s, the TD is to consider the approximate skill/knowledge level of the player. Don’t blame a weak player for not being an expert but the flip side is that don’t credit a weak player with expert level thinking either. Here, I strongly suspect that the great majority of players, capable of the misbid earlier, would at least consider 3H absent a BIT

I think most good players would upgrade the hand, fearing that opener won’t bid game over 3H on many hands where it’s very good. But such players would not be in this position, since they’d bid 3D the round before, so I guess I’m arguing about the number of angels dancing on that pin rather than about reality. Oh well.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#42 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-15, 11:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-04, 13:03, said:

What do you bid ? do you think about doing anything else ?

As far as I remember, (one of my ops had this problem) 5 card majors weak no trump, unsure what they do with 5M332.

#43 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-19, 01:59

View Postmichel444, on 2022-September-15, 11:21, said:

reading the post again
the double on 2 is normaly a negative double
without intervetion the hand is worth a raise to 2 heart even if partner open a 4 cards Major
the intervention make the 2 raise weaker
IMHO biding 3D over 2 will required a stronger hand
and double folowed by support even stronger

#44 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-19, 07:43

View Postmichel444, on 2022-September-19, 01:59, said:

IMHO biding 3D over 2 will required a stronger hand

Michel, you are consistently evaluating hands according to their Work Count and undervaluing distribution. After a 5cM, this hand is easily worth a 3 cue raise and is not even close to a minimum, hence the majority opinion here that the hand would be worth 4 without the BIT.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users