Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MOSCITO do MOSCITO legal in BBO ?

#1 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-10, 09:54

Hi all does anyone familiar with MOSCITO ?
does the system legal in BBO ?
I know ACBL banned the Forcing Pass System.

Michel

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-10, 13:53

I'm quite certain you will find someone familiar with MOSCITO here (as in, wrote at least one book on it). I'll leave the technical side of it to him (them?)

On BBO you can play anything the game is happy with. That is (at least) two different things:
  • in the open tables, that's basically "whatever your opponents will sit for". From experience playing Precision, you should *at least* be playing against a set partnership; if the opponents are playing pickup, one of them at least will leave, as will their replacement, as will *their* replacement - and then the person willing to play against this will leave because they're not having fun either. I would also host the table myself, and put a table note and a warning that you are playing MOSCITO.
  • A sanctioned game is governed by the regulations of the sanctioning body (or their sanctioning body). VACB games (Virtual ACBL club games) are on whichever of the ACBL convention charts their game usually is at; the BBO ACBL club (note, not tournament) uses ACBL Open; ACBL regionals at home use the relevant chart based on the class of the regional game being played; EBU clubs use their rules; Reynolds events use their rules; the Czech game I used to play in with my Precision partner used their rules,...
  • semi-set or set games (like team games, or weekly hangarounds, or my friends "4-8 people a day for 20 boards 1900MT" game) will use the rules of the game setter or the ones agreed on by the regular participants.

As far as MOSCITO in the ACBL is concerned - well, there's a reason that transfer 1-level *openings* are banned throughout (except for 6+board Open+ events, and there's "defence" issues with those). I'll leave it to others to discuss what that reason is. And yes, Forcing Pass systems are banned in all ACBL competition (probably okay in the Midnights, if the director never finds out the opponents are okay with it. But the Midnights are a Strange Breed). But then again, they are basically banned throughout all competition, except only (severely) restricted in Vintage the absolute top levels of World Championship play and in Australia).

But if you can host a table in the open room and find opponents that are okay with it, BBO's policy is "fine by us." Same goes for FP (but I bet you'll have even less luck finding "fine by us" opponents).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-10, 22:32

View Postmycroft, on 2022-September-10, 13:53, said:

I'm quite certain you will find someone familiar with MOSCITO here (as in, wrote at least one book on it). I'll leave the technical side of it to him (them?)

On BBO you can play anything the game is happy with. That is (at least) two different things:
  • in the open tables, that's basically "whatever your opponents will sit for". From experience playing Precision, you should *at least* be playing against a set partnership; if the opponents are playing pickup, one of them at least will leave, as will their replacement, as will *their* replacement - and then the person willing to play against this will leave because they're not having fun either. I would also host the table myself, and put a table note and a warning that you are playing MOSCITO.
  • A sanctioned game is governed by the regulations of the sanctioning body (or their sanctioning body). VACB games (Virtual ACBL club games) are on whichever of the ACBL convention charts their game usually is at; the BBO ACBL club (note, not tournament) uses ACBL Open; ACBL regionals at home use the relevant chart based on the class of the regional game being played; EBU clubs use their rules; Reynolds events use their rules; the Czech game I used to play in with my Precision partner used their rules,...
  • semi-set or set games (like team games, or weekly hangarounds, or my friends "4-8 people a day for 20 boards 1900MT" game) will use the rules of the game setter or the ones agreed on by the regular participants.

As far as MOSCITO in the ACBL is concerned - well, there's a reason that transfer 1-level *openings* are banned throughout (except for 6+board Open+ events, and there's "defence" issues with those). I'll leave it to others to discuss what that reason is. And yes, Forcing Pass systems are banned in all ACBL competition (probably okay in the Midnights, if the director never finds out the opponents are okay with it. But the Midnights are a Strange Breed). But then again, they are basically banned throughout all competition, except only (severely) restricted in Vintage the absolute top levels of World Championship play and in Australia).

But if you can host a table in the open room and find opponents that are okay with it, BBO's policy is "fine by us." Same goes for FP (but I bet you'll have even less luck finding "fine by us" opponents).

Thank you very much !

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-September-11, 06:53

FWIW, Atul and I can oft be found playing MOSCITO on Sundays, 11:30 AM

Set game against BrianM and one of his partner's

Can't claim that this is the best bridge that you've ever seen, but it is people playing MOSCITO
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-11, 11:53

View Posthrothgar, on 2022-September-11, 06:53, said:

FWIW, Atul and I can oft be found playing MOSCITO on Sundays, 11:30 AM

Set game against BrianM and one of his partner's

Can't claim that this is the best bridge that you've ever seen, but it is people playing MOSCITO

just see message Replay now we are in diferent time zone will try find you on BBO

michel

#6 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-29, 21:01

moving her my anser about standart from thread on probality of opening
Paul Marston write in the end of his note on Moscito 2005
"
I developed a relay system that I played with
Malcolm Sims in the New Zealand team in the
late 70s. Around this time I approached Roy
Kerr about solving the relay problem. He put
his considerable weight into the project and
came up with symmetric relay, which remains
the engine of our relay approach.
Around 1980 Sims and I adopted a forcing
pass style. "

In the 15 years that have followed, the system
has gone through radical change and many
people have made contributions. They include
Richard Willey, Bob Richman and Matthew
Thomson.

#7 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-30, 11:08

And of course, one of those "many people" just invited you to watch him play. I did mention there are people on these forums that have written books on this system...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users