• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What methods do you play here ?

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-14, 11:18

Do you play Lebensohl or reverse Leb, a transfer version, scramble, something else ?

Hand to follow

#2 User is offline   MP7601 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-14, 11:26

I play standard Lebensohl here

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-14, 11:31

View PostMP7601, on 2022-September-14, 11:26, said:

I play standard Lebensohl here

Where is the delineation between good and bad for the suit bids ? You've already denied enough to overcall. Do you do anything much different to over a 2nd seat double ?

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-14, 12:33

I play the same version of Lebensohl in response to both a second- and fourth-seat double.

I thought I'd be a little more conservative opposite a balancing double but looking at my BBO records for 2020 and 2021 the auction has only come up twice and I jumped to game opposite the double both times :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-14, 13:00

I play transfer Lebensohl here - or, more accurately, something very similar to Rubensohl. I would not play reverse Lebensohl. It is technically superior to regular Lebensohl in some situations, but worse in others, inferior to transfer versions and mixups are costly.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-14, 14:48

The hand in question is not a very likely one to hold (although the 2 passes are not a surprise) do you double ?

We play reverse leb, so partner would bid their suit.

What do you do over:

3 reverse leb, bad hand
2N normal leb
3? transfer

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-14, 14:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-14, 11:31, said:

Where is the delineation between good and bad for the suit bids ? You've already denied enough to overcall. Do you do anything much different to over a 2nd seat double ?

A 3level overcall requires both a good suit and a good hand, so while the pass ‘limits’ the hand in some ways, by no means does it mean that advancer has to have a weak hand.

For me, 2N here would deny as much as a good eight count with a decent 5 card suit. Thus, by implication, a 3 level suit bid shows at least an eight count and a decent suit.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-14, 15:16

View Postmikeh, on 2022-September-14, 14:48, said:

A 3level overcall requires both a good suit and a good hand, so while the pass ‘limits’ the hand in some ways, by no means does it mean that advancer has to have a weak hand.

For me, 2N here would deny as much as a good eight count with a decent 5 card suit. Thus, by implication, a 3 level suit bid shows at least an eight count and a decent suit.

OK, I asked the question because the double could actually be lighter than a second seat double if short in spades.

Do you pass over 2 wih a 3235 14 count with an adequate club suit and xxx ?

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-14, 16:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-14, 15:16, said:

OK, I asked the question because the double could actually be lighter than a second seat double if short in spades.

At the risk of sounding like a smartass…..it depends

It depends on the vulnerability. It depends on the specifics of my hand. It depends on the form of scoring, to a modest degree. It even depends, to another modest degree, on my partner.

Yes, the balancing double can be lighter than a direct double, and of course nobody can guarantee ending up in the right spot, but we do the best we can.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-14, 22:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-14, 11:18, said:

Do you play Lebensohl or reverse Leb, a transfer version, scramble, something else ?

Hand to follow

2NT herbert negative 0-7 point suit 4+suit 8+point double in 4th chaire can be with a void in spade
but with 2+ in direct seat

#11 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 00:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-14, 14:48, said:

The hand in question is not a very likely one to hold (although the 2 passes are not a surprise) do you double ?

We play reverse leb, so partner would bid their suit.

What do you do over:

3 reverse leb, bad hand
2N normal leb
3? transfer
3NT to play over the weak options (you could make a case for the perfect 7-opposite-26 making a nice slam but our spade length strongly suggests that the hands don't fit well), 3NT over 3 superaccept balanced, choice of games (and keeps 6 somewhat in the picture).

Yes. 2-a.p. is usually a stinker for the preempter, so I wouldn't strain to keep the auction open without shape. We will miss some 14-opposite-12 games but on balance you don't do better by sticking your neck out.

#12 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 01:52

NO I Double at worse i go under if partner have a Flat hand and Zero point and LHO PASS
so he must bid 2 NT and i bid 3 club and go down but opopnets have 26point and some game !

#13 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-September-15, 02:28

Assuming "pass over" means you are in second seat, then probably.

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-15, 02:37

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-September-15, 00:45, said:

3NT to play over the weak options (you could make a case for the perfect 7-opposite-26 making a nice slam but our spade length strongly suggests that the hands don't fit well), 3NT over 3 superaccept balanced, choice of games (and keeps 6 somewhat in the picture).

Do you expect partner to remove this with a very weak shapely hand ? 6 diamonds (43) in the non spade suits, one Q or K

How many diamonds have you shown with the superaccept ? What do you do with the same hand with AKQ AK ? Or indeed AKQ A AKxx in the non spade suits

#15 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 04:01

I expect partner to run with a hand so weak it likely doesn't have an entry, or with extreme shape. The weak hand bids 5, the extreme shape one 4 (constructive). I'm never running from 3NT undoubled to 4m to play.

The superaccept only shows 2 diamonds, it was the wrong choice of words. Really it just shows a big balanced hand, too bid for 2NT 16-19. Balanced implies diamond tolerance but nothing more. The transfer shows some values for me, so at this point we're looking at 20+ balanced opposite 8+ with diamonds. I should probably have bid 4NT (natural) instead of 3NT over the transfer.

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-15, 04:28

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-September-15, 04:01, said:

I expect partner to run with a hand so weak it likely doesn't have an entry, or with extreme shape. The weak hand bids 5, the extreme shape one 4 (constructive). I'm never running from 3NT undoubled to 4m to play.

The superaccept only shows 2 diamonds, it was the wrong choice of words. Really it just shows a big balanced hand, too bid for 2NT 16-19. Balanced implies diamond tolerance but nothing more. The transfer shows some values for me, so at this point we're looking at 20+ balanced opposite 8+ with diamonds. I should probably have bid 4NT (natural) instead of 3NT over the transfer.

What do you do with the actual hand then (void, xxx, xxxxxx, K10xx) if the transfer shows values ? and how do you distinguish that from QJx/xxxx ?

#17 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 04:45

I bid 2NT weak, intending to bid 3 next. You don't distinguish between different weak hands, I'd run from 3NT with that.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-15, 06:06

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-September-15, 04:45, said:

I bid 2NT weak, intending to bid 3 next. You don't distinguish between different weak hands, I'd run from 3NT with that.

It's a nasty hand particularly at MPs.

void, QJx, xxxxxx, xxxx you want to play 5
void, xxx, xxxxxx, Kxxx you want to play 3N or 6 the 109 is enough to make 6 best by a distance
void, xxx, J10xxxx, Kxxx and void QJx, J10xxxx, xxxx you want to play 6

On the actual hand 3N will make 12 by the big hand, 11 if you play normal Lebensohl and wrongside it, 5 will make 13 as clubs are 3-3, diamonds are 2-2 and the 2 bidder has QJx

#19 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 06:33

View Postmikeh, on 2022-September-14, 14:48, said:

I have the agreement with my partner that 2NT Lebensohl is Weak and we didn't add the requirement for 3-level call to have a good suit.
Are you doing this for both (2S)-DBL-(P)-? and (2S)-P-(P)-DBL-(P)-?

What do you bid with 4-card and not very weak or strong?
e.g. with: xx=AQxx=Qxxx=xxx or xx=Qxx=Qxxx=AQxx

#20 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-15, 06:57

View Postkgr, on 2022-September-15, 06:33, said:

I have the agreement with my partner that 2NT Lebensohl is Weak and we didn't add the requirement for 3-level call to have a good suit.
Are you doing this for both (2S)-DBL-(P)-? and (2S)-P-(P)-DBL-(P)-?

What do you bid with 4-card and not very weak or strong?
e.g. with: xx=AQxx=Qxxx=xxx or xx=Qxx=Qxxx=AQxx

not sure i got the question right
answering partner double or biding after 2 S?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users