Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Praising partner... wdp, vwdp

#1 User is offline   PaulJHad 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-January-14, 15:16

For some it appears that congratulating partner with"Wdp" or "vwdp" (normally after achieving a contract) is a habitual response by Dummy after a board is completed. Whilst some people may take this as being supporting/and or courteous, in my opinion it is quite inappropriate, being ungracious and disrespectful to the defending pair.
In many cases a contract is expected to make, so actually achieving this is no more than what should occur, yet partner still insists on an unnecessary "wdp".
Consider: Bridge is a game of mistakes, In a case where a pair make an extra, unexpected trick it is more often than not because the defenders have erred. Thus "wdp" is not really saying "well done partner", but is rather inferring "you screwed up" directed towards the defenders.
In my opinion a pair should be courteous and magnanimous, by accepting their achievement with dignified silence,sparing praise only for the occasional board that is particularly cleverly played out. In my own case I remain quite throughout the match/tourney, and only when all is done offer "Thankyou and Well played" to my partner.
(NB I must confess that in the past I was a "wdp" player, until some lovely American lady pointed out to me (quite harshly) that "You don't say well done for shooting fish in a barrel".)

#2 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-14, 17:08

Normally I get a "well, you really butchered that one!".
WDP would be a novelty.

#3 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-January-15, 00:52

Depends on the circumstances and the level of partner. But generally the wdp should be reserved for excellent defensive carding or bringing in a contract with multiple possible lines.
I am one to praise the opponents more and saving the rest for partnership discussion.

During practice matches with teammies one can be more liberal.

#4 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-15, 00:55

If partner induces a defensive error with deceptive play and makes an unexpected extra trick, wdp seems appropriate -- a sporting defender would understand, i guess.

#5 User is offline   monkeybiz 

• Pip

Posted 2023-January-15, 05:40

Agree 100% Paul. I seldom post WDP even when mentoring players. They know if I give them a WDP it means something. They solved a difficult play problem or defense that required some thought and was worthy of my praise. WDP hand after hand, after hand, after hand is annoying

#6 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-15, 15:09

My two dimes worth. I will loose no sleep if the opps. trot out "wdp" every hand, even if we make a sheep's a*** of the defense, because they also trot out "wdp" when they play in a part score when they should be in a game, and other moments when they think they have played a brilliancy when, in fact, it is just a routine hand.

If I make a sheep's a*** of a defense, I have only myself to blame, and I not going to be wound up by a player whose contribution is just bland 'textspeak' in the online bridge world. Yes, I can understand it could get annoying, hand after hand, but you can choose to ignore it, which imo is the best way to deal with it.

#7 User is offline   super69 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-January-15, 15:10

Saying "wdp" or "vwdp" is very rude when obvious mistake(s) are made by the opps, but it happens frequently.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-January-16, 13:59

Many people do this habitually any time partner makes their contract; similarly, if partner goes down, they always write "ntp" (nice try, partner). Even if it's matchpoints and declarer leaves some obvious overtricks on the table (so it wasn't actually a good result), they say WDP.

If it's habitual, you shouldn't take any offense from it -- it's not gloating.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-17, 10:52

It shouldn't be habitual for exactly that reason.

If they wdp because they managed not to go down in 3 with 11 tricks on top - fine.
If they wdp because we gave them the contract on the opening lead - less so.
If they wdp because we failed to cover trick 5 and then made the wrong (despite signals) switch later - even if they do this every time, that's offensive.
Now, if they played in such a way as to induce a misplay, and got one - while still mean, that is "well done". I'd wait until the next round to say so, though :-)

But yeah, the way it usually works for these people is as BarMar says, and you should read the acronym as "we went plus, pd!" rather than "well done". Better for [y]our stress levels.

Now, when the *opponents* say "well played", take that as the compliment it is - and feel free to give it when appropriate.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-February-02, 03:19

View Postbarmar, on 2023-January-16, 13:59, said:

Many people do this habitually any time partner makes their contract; similarly, if partner goes down, they always write "ntp" (nice try, partner). Even if it's matchpoints and declarer leaves some obvious overtricks on the table (so it wasn't actually a good result), they say WDP.

If it's habitual, you shouldn't take any offense from it -- it's not gloating.

I find this happens at F2F bridge, "well done partner" when all they did was cash nine tricks off the top. It frequently comes from inexperienced players who have no idea why they got a good score, so "well done partner" is a way of complementing their partner, elevating self esteem and improving partnership harmony. I do find it irritating when they say it after I have carved the defense in some way or they made some ridiculous bid or play that happened to work on that lie of the cards, as it comes across as rubbing my nose in it, but whatever.

I have had the other side as well, as declarer being complemented with "well done" from partner or an opponent when I didn't do anything beyond fundamental card play, but I got a good score because half the field are doing silly things.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2023-February-06, 16:13

One key to this is that they often say "wdp" as soon as the hand is over, before seeing the traveller (if one is available). If you make your contract, but still get 20% because you left an overtrick on the table, and they say "wdp", it's clearly just a habitual nicety, not actual praise for playing well or gloating that the opponents messed up.

#12 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-06, 16:47

It's easy to be misinterpreted - and even easier to take offence.
Just the other day a man in London was arrested for saying "hello".

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-06, 19:59

View PostAL78, on 2023-February-02, 03:19, said:

I find this happens at F2F bridge, "well done partner" when all they did was cash nine tricks off the top. It frequently comes from inexperienced players who have no idea why they got a good score, so "well done partner" is a way of complementing their partner, elevating self esteem and improving partnership harmony. I do find it irritating when they say it after I have carved the defense in some way or they made some ridiculous bid or play that happened to work on that lie of the cards, as it comes across as rubbing my nose in it, but whatever.

I have had the other side as well, as declarer being complemented with "well done" from partner or an opponent when I didn't do anything beyond fundamental card play, but I got a good score because half the field are doing silly things.

Yep, I've had to restrain from typing offensive words (trying to bypass the BBO moderator) and in F2F I simply smile and take a deep breath.
I guess it's cute for some and for others they do think they did well.

"WDO" - no, you have no clue about defending a contract.

#14 User is offline   thesidster 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-February-08, 00:26

View PostPaulJHad, on 2023-January-14, 15:16, said:

For some it appears that congratulating partner with"Wdp" or "vwdp" (normally after achieving a contract) is a habitual response by Dummy after a board is completed. Whilst some people may take this as being supporting/and or courteous, in my opinion it is quite inappropriate, being ungracious and disrespectful to the defending pair.
In many cases a contract is expected to make, so actually achieving this is no more than what should occur, yet partner still insists on an unnecessary "wdp".
Consider: Bridge is a game of mistakes, In a case where a pair make an extra, unexpected trick it is more often than not because the defenders have erred. Thus "wdp" is not really saying "well done partner", but is rather inferring "you screwed up" directed towards the defenders.
In my opinion a pair should be courteous and magnanimous, by accepting their achievement with dignified silence,sparing praise only for the occasional board that is particularly cleverly played out. In my own case I remain quite throughout the match/tourney, and only when all is done offer "Thankyou and Well played" to my partner.
(NB I must confess that in the past I was a "wdp" player, until some lovely American lady pointed out to me (quite harshly) that "You don't say well done for shooting fish in a barrel".)

It is a very childish habit, to be expected as the average age on bbo is certainly below 45.
But better than the obnoxious rudeness widely prevalent here.

#15 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-08, 05:48

View Postthesidster, on 2023-February-08, 00:26, said:

It is a very childish habit, to be expected as the average age on bbo is certainly below 45.
But better than the obnoxious rudeness widely prevalent here.

I would question that. Bridge is a game played predominantly by retired people and is optimised for retired people.

I disagree there is obnoxious rudeness widely prevalent here, at least certainly not in my experience. Occasionally someone can be blunt with their methods of criticising an action at the table but I find most of the time they are being firm but fair, which is what you would want from a good coach.

#16 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-08, 06:37

View PostAL78, on 2023-February-08, 05:48, said:

I would question that. Bridge is a game played predominantly by retired people and is optimised for retired people.

I disagree there is obnoxious rudeness widely prevalent here, at least certainly not in my experience. Occasionally someone can be blunt with their methods of criticising an action at the table but I find most of the time they are being firm but fair, which is what you would want from a good coach.

No, thesidster is right.
The average age of players is between 11 and 45. It's very rare to see anyone older taking up Bridge.
The older people that you sometimes see at old-fashioned FTF venues are the grandparents of the youngsters.

It is true that sometimes people are a little harsh but this is always taken in the helpful spirit that was intended.

#17 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-09, 05:59

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-February-08, 06:37, said:

No, thesidster is right.
The average age of players is between 11 and 45. It's very rare to see anyone older taking up Bridge.
The older people that you sometimes see at old-fashioned FTF venues are the grandparents of the youngsters.

It is true that sometimes people are a little harsh but this is always taken in the helpful spirit that was intended.

Again I am skeptical. At my club and others nearby, the reason F2F bridge has failed to return to pre-pandemic levels is because elderly people have decided sitting at home playing bridge online is preferable to going out to a club venue, and I very much doubt my location in the UK is unique globally.

#18 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-09, 06:10

View PostAL78, on 2023-February-09, 05:59, said:

Again I am skeptical.

Wisely.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2023-February-09, 11:26

Are we really arguing over the veracity of an obviously sarcastic statement?

Did someone also think the MASH Report was real?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users