BBO Discussion Forums: Please adjust last session timing for loosely clocked tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please adjust last session timing for loosely clocked tournaments

#1 User is offline   mosze 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-February-01, 06:56

Hi, some tournaments (e.g, ACBL ones) are strictly timed, i.e., all sessions start together and tournaments finish more or less at the same time. However, there are tournaments which do not synchronize sessions and pairs that have completed a previous session are immediately scheduled and start a subsequent one. So it happens that some pairs play the last session and finish the tournament even half an hour before the last table. Still, if such "early" last session exceeds time, BBO cancels the last deal despite the fact that other couples may still play next-to-last session. I believe that timing for the last session should slways take into account the whole tournament and allow to exceed time in such situations.

#2 User is offline   undoubling 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-February-02, 09:04

I suspect that what you are referring to are "untimed" games, where pairings are determined by availability rather than a "regular" movement sequence. Because these are ON-LINE games, and not "live" f2f, this type movement is possible AND allows "faster" (not necessarily better) players the option of play rather than waiting for everyone to finish the current round. Usually, these games DO NOT allow for "kibitzers" to minimize the ability to provide UI to players.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-February-02, 10:32

I think what he is saying is that even in untimed tournaments, the last round has an enforced time limit. Which seems odd to me, but it's been years since I played in an untimed tournament (and when I did, I was one of those "finish half an hour early" players), so what do I know?

If it does happen, it's probably an issue (but there's an argument that "the last table consists of a walkaway, and the board (and thus the tournament) will never finish, so there has to be some time limit").
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-February-02, 16:24

View Postmycroft, on 2023-February-02, 10:32, said:

I think what he is saying is that even in untimed tournaments, the last round has an enforced time limit. Which seems odd to me, but it's been years since I played in an untimed tournament (and when I did, I was one of those "finish half an hour early" players), so what do I know?

If it does happen, it's probably an issue (but there's an argument that "the last table consists of a walkaway, and the board (and thus the tournament) will never finish, so there has to be some time limit").

I'm pretty sure that is what he is saying, but I don't agree that maintaining the fixed maximum round time is an issue. Whether or not you advance or drop hopelessly back in an unclocked tournament depends upon your opponents as well as you, and for an average pace pair often all it takes is two consecutive slow opponents to be relegated to the doldrums and end up waiting 5 minutes or more to be paired for the last rounds. No reason I can see why a luckier pair of same average pace should not only be able to finish 5+ minutes earlier but also to use that as an extra think time credit on last round.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-February-06, 16:21

The term we actually use for these is "unclocked" tournaments. And what you're calling "sessions" are called "rounds".

There is indeed a fixed limit for the entire tournament, even though each round doesn't have a fixed time limit like clocked tournaments. Although if the TD sees that too many of the players are not going to finish before that time, they can extend the length of the last round. We don't do this automatically.

#6 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-February-06, 16:29

View Postbarmar, on 2023-February-06, 16:21, said:

There is indeed a fixed limit for the entire tournament, even though each round doesn't have a fixed time limit like clocked tournaments.

If I understood OP correctly, he is asserting and complaining about the opposite, that the last round does have a fixed time limit even though other tables may not have finished the tournament. But you imply not and it does sound odd, so maybe he should speak for himself now.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-February-09, 11:29

View Postpescetom, on 2023-February-06, 16:29, said:

If I understood OP correctly, he is asserting and complaining about the opposite, that the last round does have a fixed time limit even though other tables may not have finished the tournament. But you imply not and it does sound odd, so maybe he should speak for himself now.

I could be wrong, but I think the fixed time limit for the last round is whatever remains in the limit for the entire tournament.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users