BBO Discussion Forums: How to win friends and influence people - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to win friends and influence people

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-13, 04:03

I played at a club tonight, at the end of the final round, our opponents had a board to play, catch up.
One opponent (North) needed to move his car to let other players leave so I offered to bid the hand for him.
I picked up 2254 14 count, partner opened 1C
1C (P) 1D (1H)
1S (P) 2H **player walked back in and took his hand.

As I left the table North was playing in 2

Oops :lol:

But on a more serious note, here is a board from tonight.

2clubs is clubs or balanced, 3C assume 3+, hand not suitable for nt, no better bid
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-13, 04:57

It depends on agreements. I've been falling more and more out of love with the idea of showing stoppers for 3NT. In almost any 2/1 system 3 here is ambiguous - either balanced with diamond values and spades concerns, or some advance cue bid for clubs. I'd like it to be shape-showing (longer clubs with natural diamonds), but it isn't. I'll bid it anyway and hope to catch up next round, for example with 4 (natural, slam interest). In theory partner should draw the inference that I had a hand not suitable for an immediate 4 slam try, and therefore must have something interesting in diamonds.

As an aside the only hand type that might raise on three is a 5332 with weakness in the doubleton (other hands have a four card side suit or a sixth heart). I think raising a BAL or CLUBS hand with that hand type is an inferior agreement. You'd be using the most expensive (non-jump) bid to show two very different hand types - unbalanced with solid support, or balanced with lousy support. And responder isn't even favourite to hold clubs! In line with useful space principles it is usually better to fold this awkward hand type into some cheaper bid (i.e. conjure up a fourth diamond and rebid that) or hog the hand in notrump anyway.

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-13, 09:53

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-13, 10:00

4, as planned. Partner likely has 3=5=1=4 or 3=5=2=3, both of which mesh well with our hand if their hearts aren't too soft.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-13, 10:05

(You can only use 4 in countries where 4 is not always Ace asking) :)
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-13, 11:32

This is the part where you tell me partner has QJx, KQJxx, Jx, Jxx and opened 'a bit light, but I had to get that heart suit in' ;)

Partner's failure to show a control in diamonds is surprising, I was expecting a singleton most of the time. I guess partner really does have the 3=5=2=3 hand (or perhaps a 2=5=2=4 with spade Ax?), presumably with concerns over the diamond suit (but we lost the minors years ago, why is this a concern?). Does this imply that partner likely holds a strong notrump?
I'll bid 4NT (RKC 1430, signing off in 5 opposite one key card, bidding small slam opposite two, looking for a grand opposite three). We've passed the point of no return facing zero. If I am playing 0314 with clubs as trumps (as I used to) I will bid 4 last train instead and pray partner does not sign off with two key cards.
It is very possible that 5 will fail facing one key card, but we're out of bidding space. I should have added that I play a 4NT response to 4 as regressive.

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-13, 11:47

Fortunately, I wouldn't open that crap and we do play 1430.

6, 6NT?

I'm West and played in 3NT + 3
Now I'll take this hand to my 0314 partner and see if I can convince him to switch

I rarely need to raise clubs on these 2/1M auctions but here I didn't think I had another option
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-March-13, 12:28

jillybean, on 2023-March-13, 11:47, said:

Fortunately, I wouldn't open that crap and we do play 1430.

6, 6NT?

I'm West and played in 3NT + 3
Now I'll take this hand to my 0314 partner and see if I can convince him to switch

I rarely need to raise clubs on these 2/1M auctions but here I didn't think I had another option

What would 2NT have meant on your second turn?

#9 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-13, 12:29

At IMPs I'll play the hand in clubs - there is a possibility that we get our twelfth trick from a diamond ruff (especially if partner is 2=5=2=4) rather than through establishing the hearts. At MPs I honestly have no idea. There is a chance that we are missing the king of hearts along with an ace. The horror scenario is Qxx, AQJxx, xx, AJx with a heart lead, where 6 seems much better (although 6NT still has chances). I also have a sneaking suspicion that 6= is already worth most of the matchpoints.

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-13, 13:54

AL78, on 2023-March-13, 12:28, said:

What would 2NT have meant on your second turn?

Willingness to play in NT, NTish shape, not 6 hearts. Hand yet unlimited other than I did not open 1NT, 2NT, 2C
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users