BBO Discussion Forums: Strength or Length? (12-14NT) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strength or Length? (12-14NT)

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-April-09, 14:14

View PostTramticket, on 2023-April-09, 07:27, said:

Partner so won't usually respond with a four-count, let alone bid 1NT and I'm not keen to distort my bid to take into account a sub-minimum response.

I think you’re out of touch with current expert practice (I’m not saying this is universal, but I think it’s common) in that most routinely respond to 1m with as few as 3 or 4 hcp.

KJxxx xxx x xxxx I doubt you’d find a lot of good players passing 1D. Obviously that’s not this hand, but I’m responding to the point about hcp requirements for responding to 1m
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-09, 16:03

I would respond 1S on the hand quoted Mike, but I wouldn't respond 1NT very often with a four-count. For us, opener is entitled to expect 6-9 for a 1NT response and 1D-1H; 1S-1NT is that same 1NT response with a four-card heart suit (in the context of our Acol system). There is a downside in continually shading the requirements for a response, if opener can't make an invitational raise with the hand given in the opening post.

#23 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-09, 20:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-April-09, 05:51, said:

the problem is partner has xx, Kxxxx, x, Jxxxx, they lead spades, you never get to dummy, at least you make 2 if you bid that.

Yes, I bid 1H after partner's 1D opening with that hand, but I would pass partner's 1S rebid. It's a 4-2 fit, but 1N rates to be absolutely terrible.

I see the arguments for a 1N rebid by opener here, but I would rebid 1S, because what to bid after 1D-1N with a 17 count is a problem I've faced many times as a weak NT player, and I'm fairly confident I know the odds, and the problem after 1D-1H-1S-1N is the same problem. (With opener's hand I invite with 2N.) Sequences where I rebid 1N with a singleton I'm a good deal less certain about. I don't mean to say that 1S is the better bid, only that the problems it is likely to pose are more familiar and I'm more likely to get them right.

#24 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-10, 02:38

View Postakwoo, on 2023-April-09, 20:03, said:

Yes, I bid 1H after partner's 1D opening with that hand, but I would pass partner's 1S rebid. It's a 4-2 fit, but 1N rates to be absolutely terrible.

this may be a style thing, but I bid 1N in the hope it doesn't stay there because partner is 4-6 or 4-7 and bids 2. If he's 4-5 and can't bid again, 1N may be no worse than anywhere else I can actually finish up.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users