Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Credit where credit is due

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-April-11, 03:13

It's easy to complain about many things on BBO, but I have to say.. the double dummy update is *amazing*.

I'm not sure how it works (yet? ;)) but double dummy scores now load instantly (inside BBO - not the standalone handviewer yet), including as you step through trick by trick. No network requests are going out anymore, suggesting it's possibly a local DD solver (or maybe it's all precomputed somehow, though I don't see that in the request).. but the difference is huge.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-11, 06:07

View Postsmerriman, on 2023-April-11, 03:13, said:

It's easy to complain about many things on BBO, but I have to say.. the double dummy update is *amazing*.

I'm not sure how it works (yet? ;)) but double dummy scores now load instantly (inside BBO - not the standalone handviewer yet), including as you step through trick by trick. No network requests are going out anymore, suggesting it's possibly a local DD solver (or maybe it's all precomputed somehow, though I don't see that in the request).. but the difference is huge.

Thanks.

Can you explain this miracle in a little more detail - it looks the same to me.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-April-11, 11:10

View Postsmerriman, on 2023-April-11, 03:13, said:

Thanks.

I'm surprised anyone noticed but indeed, we upgraded BBO this morning and one of the improvements is that DDS runs in browser. If Barry sees this he can probably tell you exactly which free JS we're using for that.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-11, 13:31

View Postdiana_eva, on 2023-April-11, 11:10, said:

I'm surprised anyone noticed but indeed, we upgraded BBO this morning and one of the improvements is that DDS runs in browser. If Barry sees this he can probably tell you exactly which free JS we're using for that.

WASM, I would assume. Same tech lichess uses to run Stockfish in the browser - which is surprisingly performant by the way... runs at about 80% of native speed.

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-12, 12:52

View Postdiana_eva, on 2023-April-11, 11:10, said:

Well done BBO.
Although it's puzzling that you can get DDS to work in browser yet are unable to continue to make it work on server in Dealer B-)

View PostTylerE, on 2023-April-11, 13:31, said:

WASM, I would assume. Same tech lichess uses to run Stockfish in the browser - which is surprisingly performant by the way... runs at about 80% of native speed.

Interesting stuff.

#6 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-13, 21:35

View Postpilowsky, on 2023-April-11, 06:07, said:

Can you explain this miracle in a little more detail - it looks the same to me.

I too can't understand the difference. Can someone please explain? Thanks.

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-13, 21:49

When logged into BBO, and looking at a hand in the bottom right corner, click the button to show double dummy. Previously, it would take about half a second for the numbers to appear, both initially and every time you click next trick. That half a second no longer exists.

#8 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-05, 04:08

The delay has reappeared :(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users