Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The losing trick count lied Or did it

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-01, 19:13

I was rather unhappy with the jump to game but miraculously we made this unlikely game in a recent MPs match
Maybe the North bot knew something about the East and West bots' game (note I am shown as declarer even though the robot did the bidding)

LTC wasn't too far off and nor was the Law - but strangely neither suggested an unnecessary jump to game - or is it some kind of pre-empt

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-June-02, 01:53

I'm not even sure that I would open with that weak 11 count, but after revaluation I can understand why North raised

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-02, 19:44

View Postmw64ahw, on 2023-June-02, 01:53, said:

I'm not even sure that I would open with that weak 11 count, but after revaluation I can understand why North raised

I appreciate my opening bids can be light even at unfavourable but I did not offer much encouragement other than a competitive raise after a pass

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-02, 23:50

The problem is that you took the robot "out of book". This kind of auction isn't really supposed to exist, because hands with spade support are either supposed to raise immediately over the double (with 4 cd support, to 2S/3S/4S, or make a splinter, or bid 4c with a 4/6+ type of hand), or redouble (support, 3 cd spades exactly). So this sort of delayed, deny support initially, then show it later is not really supposed to ever happen, so it falls back to some default rule that it must be 3cd support, but North has no idea how strong it is (see explanation, up to 17 total points) because this sequence isn't programmed into the normal bidding book, because South was supposed to raise to 2 right away, which would show a minimum opener with support. There's no "pass then raise later to show that I opened a bit lighter then minimum on something that maybe shouldn't be opened". If you just raised immediately over the double, this probably limits your hand more and North maybe doesn't bid so much.

Also maybe things like game tries with the North hand aren't really defined on this sequence, so it feels no options than just blasting game.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-June-03, 01:45

View PostStephen Tu, on 2023-June-02, 23:50, said:

The problem is that you took the robot "out of book". This kind of auction isn't really supposed to exist, because hands with spade support are either supposed to raise immediately over the double (with 4 cd support, to 2S/3S/4S, or make a splinter, or bid 4c with a 4/6+ type of hand), or redouble (support, 3 cd spades exactly). So this sort of delayed, deny support initially, then show it later is not really supposed to ever happen, so it falls back to some default rule that it must be 3cd support, but North has no idea how strong it is (see explanation, up to 17 total points) because this sequence isn't programmed into the normal bidding book, because South was supposed to raise to 2 right away, which would show a minimum opener with support. There's no "pass then raise later to show that I opened a bit lighter then minimum on something that maybe shouldn't be opened". If you just raised immediately over the double, this probably limits your hand more and North maybe doesn't bid so much.

Also maybe things like game tries with the North hand aren't really defined on this sequence, so it feels no options than just blasting game.

Thankyou. That explains it :lol:

I quite liked 1 spade doubled

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users