BBO Discussion Forums: T T98xx 987xxxx - - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

T T98xx 987xxxx - Vul. vs. NV over 1C....

#1 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-September-10, 12:45

No idea why the poll topic didn't post, but your choices besides Pass are to bid 2♦ (weak-2), 2N as two lowest unbid.

#2 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-10, 12:50

No idea why the poll topic didn't post, but your choices besides Pass are to bid 2 (weak-2), 2N as two lowest unbid.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-September-10, 13:25

You should state the firm of scoring. At mps, especially in a typical weak field, one can do weird stuff because (a) you don’t have teammates you may let down and (b) a disaster is only one board and you may get it back by making an overtrick in a part score next board.

I’m not a matchpoint player, in principle. So I very rarely do weird stuff…at least, not intentionally.

At imps, while bidding could win big, it’s far too disaster prone for me to contemplate it, and I wouldn’t want any teammate of mine to be bidding here. Sure, if partner isn’t allowed to think, or to play me for a modicum of values, then screwing around might work. I prefer not to play with partners who don’t trust me or don’t think.

So I’d pass, happily I might add, at any form of scoring

Reverse the vulnerability and that’s a different situation entirely
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-10, 15:39

Anything but pass is unlikely to survive the post-mortem.

Reverse the vulnerability and 2NT hits the table.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-September-10, 16:14

Adding to my earlier post. While passing may work out badly, in that partner has great shape for us (picture his being 6=1 reds) and insufficient strength to enter the auction, on other good-fitting hands he may be able to take action and now we can go nuts. Meanwhile, if he can’t take action, the opps (unwarned by any shape-showing action by you) may run into horrible breaks and won’t have any clues from the bidding.

Bridge is played by four players and it’s important to realize that the other players are listening to the auction. If your opps are weak, you can get away with silly stuff. If that’s where you play,and you have neither the desire nor the opportunity to play with or against good players, do whatever you want. But if your goal is to be a good player, a good partner, and a tough opponent (in the sense of not handing them easy wins), then you need discipline in the bidding. Discipline is not a synonym for conservatism….one can be very aggressive and disciplined…if your methods include aggressive bidding, then you have to bid aggressively, but not foolishly. Bidding here, red v white, strikes me as foolish.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-10, 22:27

I don't like messing around too much when partner is an unpassed hand because I don't want them doing anything silly. While it could work out that we can make something, we could also push them into a making slam...doubled.

#7 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-September-11, 02:44

I Pass in standard, but would be tempted to bid 2 playing 2-suited jump overcalls, in this case showing 5+4+ and a limited hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users