Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cheating question

#1 User is offline   shugart24 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-June-01, 05:47

Is looking at where a person pulls their card from their hand considered cheating ? I don't do this, but I am just wondering

#2 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-01, 06:00

As far as I know it is not. It is somewhat common practice for experts to hold their cards under the table during the play, in big part to prevent this. Also some experts do not sort their hand, in order to make the inference meaningless.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-01, 07:41

Law 74 - CONDUCT AND ETIQUETTE

C. Violations of Procedure

The following are examples of violations of procedure:

[...]

5. looking intently at any other player during the auction and play, or at another player's hand as for the purpose of seeing their cards or of observing the place from which a player draws a card (but it is appropriate to act on information acquired by unintentionally seeing an opponent's card).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-01, 08:17

Thanks for the clarification!

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-June-01, 08:49

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-June-01, 06:00, said:

As far as I know it is not. It is somewhat common practice for experts to hold their cards under the table during the play, in big part to prevent this. Also some experts do not sort their hand, in order to make the inference meaningless.

Test
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   shugart24 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-June-01, 08:56

View Postpaulg, on 2024-June-01, 07:41, said:

Law 74 - CONDUCT AND ETIQUETTE

C. Violations of Procedure

The following are examples of violations of procedure:

[...]

5. looking intently at any other player during the auction and play, or at another player's hand as for the purpose of seeing their cards or of observing the place from which a player draws a card (but it is appropriate to act on information acquired by unintentionally seeing an opponent's card).

wonder why the word 'intently' is included. I gather a furtive glance might be ok ? ( not)

#7 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-01, 10:22

May not be connected to the rest of the paragraph.

There are those who stare at the player to act while they're thinking. Oddly enough, it almost never happens when their partner is in the tank.

One of them even said to me "but it's your turn!"

Some of them, they know it is unsettling and damages concentration. Some don't (yet), and some to their credit try to break the habit once they find out.

Others - well, that's why it's in the Laws as an example.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-01, 10:30

Once someone showed up at the club who had not played outside of a narrow social circle before. When he had a 2-way guess for the queen and knew you knew it, he stared at each of his opponents for 10-15 seconds to try to solicit a nervous tic that would give it away. Eventually (after a few games) the director took him aside and told him that wasn't appropriate.

I think that's what the prohibition on 'looking intently at another player' is about.

#9 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-01, 14:52

View Postakwoo, on 2024-June-01, 10:30, said:

Once someone showed up at the club who had not played outside of a narrow social circle before. When he had a 2-way guess for the queen and knew you knew it, he stared at each of his opponents for 10-15 seconds to try to solicit a nervous tic that would give it away. Eventually (after a few games) the director took him aside and told him that wasn't appropriate.

I think that's what the prohibition on 'looking intently at another player' is about.

I think that's almost innocent in comparison to looking intently (or suddenly failing to do so) at partner during the auction or defence.
But yes, the players who will stare at an opponent are the same ones who will study the positions of cards in hands, play with the discards while Declarer is thinking, hesitate with no reason, insta-play after taking a trick, hover over the appropriate suit as dummy, have hearing problems if Declarer makes a poor call, and various other "expert"-standard attempts to kill this game.
Screens, and competent TDs backed by courageous organizers are a necessary but not sufficient antidote, the rest is up to the players.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-June-06, 13:16

View Postshugart24, on 2024-June-01, 08:56, said:

wonder why the word 'intently' is included. I gather a furtive glance might be ok ? ( not)

It's hard for the other players' cards not to be in your field of view (although some players are careful to hold their cards below the table so they can't be seen). So the point is to distinguish between "looking" and "seeing".

#11 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-06, 15:32

View Postbarmar, on 2024-June-06, 13:16, said:

It's hard for the other players' cards not to be in your field of view (although some players are careful to hold their cards below the table so they can't be seen). So the point is to distinguish between "looking" and "seeing".

The other point is to distinguish between always holding ones cards below the table and sometimes doing so.

#12 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-06, 20:06

Just randomise your cards
I thought Bridge was a card game lol
Don't tell me counting cards is illegal too
Are you allowed to look subtly at someone and assess body language lol
Intently watching me can put me off and is a bit creepy

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-June-07, 17:18

You're allowed to assess body language and tempo, but at your own risk. Law 73D1 says

Inferences from such variations are authorized only to the opponents, who may act upon the information at their own risk.

But you're not allowed to deliberately try to deceive an opponent with your manner. 73D2 says

A player may not attempt to mislead an opponent by means of a question, remark or gesture; by the haste or hesitancy of a call or play (as in hesitating before playing a singleton); by the manner in which a call or play is made; or by any purposeful deviation from correct procedure (see also Law 73E2).

This is the law that prohibits taking too long to follow when you hold a singleton in the suit led.

Staring at another player creepily may run afoul of 74A2

A player should carefully avoid any remark or extraneous action that might cause annoyance or embarrassment to another player or might interfere with the enjoyment of the game.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users