BBO Discussion Forums: 1C is forcing rumour - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

1C is forcing rumour

#21 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-01, 00:10

I would like to clarify
I was thinking mainly when something has gone very wrong - a misunderstanding - and you need to escape somehow - not sure how often that happens with assembled brains trust

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-23, 22:17

Partner, incessantly: "All jumps are weak, all jumps are weak".
Partner jumps to 4. I pass.
Partner: "WHYINHELL DID YOU PASS?"
Me: "All jumps are weak."
Partner: "NOT THAT ONE!"

:lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-July-23, 22:56

View PostAL78, on 2024-June-30, 11:50, said:

Any bid can be passed, whether it is a good idea is something else.

Here’s a hand from the Life Master Pairs in Toronto on the weekend:

xxx xx AKQ10xx xxx

Partner opens 1S and, with silent opps and you playing 2/1 you bid 1N. Partner forces to game via 3H…you bid 3S….stronger than 4S….and he jumps to 5D….exclusion keycard!!!!

Danny Miles, one of Canada’s best young (er) players told me that he was tempted to pass….‘ which would be the second time I’ve passed exclusion keycard’

Funnily enough, 6D was cold when one opp held Jxx in the suit…but he did the right thing and responded…they did make 5S and 6S is an incredibly lucky make (our opps went down in 6S against us on sloppy play). I told him that it was a miracle he was still alive, having passed exclusion even once!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-24, 03:31

I've passed Exclusion once and the partnership survived, though the auction was very different from this one. It is also worth mentioning that we had the explicit agreement not to play Exclusion in that partnership, I wanted to prevent my partner from jumping all over the place on a slam auction. My hand was Kxxxx, x, -, QJTxxxx if I remember correctly. The auction, partner opening and opps silent:

2 (strong) - 2 (waiting);
2 (Birthright) - 2 (forced);
3 (natural 5(+), 4(+), GF) - 3 (I tried to show my 5 card suit);
5 (by agreement: not Exclusion, 4 would have been a control for spades, other bids natural) - ?

After the hand I got chewed out for not bidding 3NT over 3 with such long clubs. Live and learn, I guess. The last making contract was 3.

Mikeh's example auction is actually really funny to me - opener jumps twice to show just how in love they are with their strong hand, responder never gets to show his suit, and now poor responder has to downgrade AKQTxx because the side suit misfit could not be diagnosed below the 5-level. What's worse, all answers are coded and show aces, not strength - the wrong hand is captain. I think having to bid 1NT on these hands with two things to say (good support and a good side suit) but conveying none of them is a noticeable system weakness.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users