BBO Discussion Forums: Can I hide a forum from my 'View New Content' list? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can I hide a forum from my 'View New Content' list?

#1 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-20, 00:20

I have no interest in the reports of GIB bidding and play but find these topics make up a significant % of my 'view new content' display.

Can I block the GIB forum?

tyia

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 08:50

And/or, it would be nice to be able to mark certain threads as "omit from view new content".

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-20, 08:59

+1.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-20, 13:06

This why I don't use View New Content. I just go into the forums I care about, and click on the threads with new content.

The next version of IP.Board has the ability to filter View New Content to show only watched threads. But there doesn't seem to be a way to filter out forums. There's a third-party plugin that can be installed to ignore threads, but it requires the next version of IP.Board.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-23, 06:56

Personally I would love it if unread posts in certain topics didn't mark the forum as unread, and especially if posts by users on my ignore list didn't mark anything as unread.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-15, 23:39

I've discovered a handy tool. Click on the Gib discussion forum , or the one you want to ignore. At the right hand edge of the red
heading bar there is a clickable (mark this forum read) function. Now when you "view new content" the gib discussion won't appear.

You must obvisouly do this each time before you click 'view new content', not ideal but better :)

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 07:57

I'm bumping this thread and adding the following. I'm very glad to see that the new Chinese language forum is getting so popular. Unfortunately I speak roughly 5 words of bad Chinese, and read 0. I like clicking "view new content" and skimming for interesting articles, and so here's what I do so that my view is not cluttered by the articles in a language I cannot read.

I have replaced by normal bridgebase.com/forums link in my homepage with

http://www.bridgebas...orum&forumid=63

This link takes me to the forums while simultaneously marking the entire Chinese subforum as read. I'm sure it can be generalized to any subforum you want (not sure if you can do multiple ones). So that when clicking on "read new content" the subforum in question does not show up.

Enjoy.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-14, 20:27

Ok, I'm bumping this thread again. Bridge base forums is now spreading, which is again great, but there are a bunch of posts now in (what I think is) Japanese, which I can't read. I'd like to modify my link above to mark the chinese and japanese forums as read when I come to BBForums so that they don't appear on my "read new content". Does anybody know how I can modify the link above to mark both forumid=63 and forumid=65 as read? The first couple guesses I made didn't work.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-15, 11:21

It's probably Chinese. We gave the Chinese users a second forum, it's their equivalent of the Water Cooler, and it's getting more traffic than the Chinese bridge forum. Maybe it will settle down once the novelty wears off.

Filtering View New Content is added in IP.Board 3.2. So if and when we upgrade the forum, you'll be able to do this (I think it works by opting in, not filtering out).

#10 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 18:28

Thanks for the response, would you know--in the short term--a way to modify that link above so that my browser just marks both these forums as read?

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-16, 10:26

There doesn't seem to be a way to mark multiple forums as read in one fell swoop. I checked the forum source code, and the only options it has are to mark an individual forum and the entire board. I tried replacing the forum ID with the ID for the International category, but it didn't do anything.

There might be something you can do with a Javascript bookmarklet. I'll play around and let you know.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-16, 10:33

The bookmarklet I thought would work didn't.

I think the simplest solution is just to create two bookmarks, one with forumid=63, another with forumid=65. Click one, then the other, and that will mark both read.

#13 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 19:56

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-16, 10:33, said:

I think the simplest solution is just to create two bookmarks, one with forumid=63, another with forumid=65. Click one, then the other, and that will mark both read.

Ok, thank you very much for looking into this--I'm just a hack at this sort of thing, so I didn't know if there was anything to do.

#14 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-November-20, 10:34

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-16, 10:33, said:

There is an easier version, where you can mark all the Chinese post in both forums as marked. The advantage or disadvantage of this approach is that it will also mark all the "foreign language" (non-english) forums as read. To do it, you use the following hyperlink as the way to access to BBO forum.

http://www.bridgebase.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=markasread&marktype=forum&forumid=52&returntoforumid=0&i=1

This way, all the content from the following nine forums will all be marked as read and will not show up when you click new content.

• 华人论坛
  • 华娱世界
  • Il forum per bridgisti italiani-
  • Forum pro ceske a slovenske bridzisty
  • Hungarian Forum
  • Spanish Forum
  • Türk oyuncular için Forum
  • German Forum
  • Ceske bridzove forum

--Ben--

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-20, 11:09

View Postinquiry, on 2012-November-20, 10:34, said:

There is an easier version, where you can mark all the Chinese post in both forums as marked. The advantage or disadvantage of this approach is that it will also mark all the "foreign language" (non-english) forums as read. To do it, you use the following hyperlink as the way to access to BBO forum.

http://www.bridgebase.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=markasread&marktype=forum&forumid=52&returntoforumid=0&i=1

That was my first idea, but I tried it and it didn't work. I just tried it again, in case I made a mistake earlier, and it still fails.

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-November-20, 11:17

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-20, 11:09, said:

That was my first idea, but I tried it and it didn't work. I just tried it again, in case I made a mistake earlier, and it still fails.

Strange, it works great for me... Can someone else try it and report here.
--Ben--

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-20, 11:41

I just tried it again and it worked. The difference is that I clicked on the (+) next to International Forum to expand the category first. When the forums were hidden, it didn't work.

Which means this is probably not a good way to get to the forums in the first place -- if you want to mark everything in the category as read, you probably also want to hide the category.

#18 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-December-03, 23:49

Either this link isn't working for me or I am not using it properly. I have the International Forum expanded.

Should I be able to click on "view new content" repeatedly once I have accessed the forums via this link and not get the
international content or do I need to click on the hyperlink then "view new content" each time?

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-December-04, 10:18

The link is just a shortcut for going to each of those forums and clicking on their "Mark this forum as read" links.

When you use the link, it marks everything in the International Forum as read, so they shouldn't show up in View New Content at that moment. But if any new posts are made in the International forum after that, they'll show up as new content until the next time you use the link again.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users