Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Replying to News postings on BBO

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-13, 03:06

1) I use Internet Explorer version 9 by default. Never mind all the critics. It works for me. And until recently it has not caused me problems with BBO. But now when I click on a link to a News item, it tells me that I am not permitted to post a response because my browser is incompatible. To be compatible I need to use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or (wait for it) IE9. Well duh!

Anyway, I managed to post because I have got Chrome albeit not by default, and copied and pasted the URL to the news item. Sorted.

[EDIT] Just noticed, that the news item headed "auto remove idle players" displays this problem but the one immediately below it "7SXX - A Poem by Tristesa" does not, but does seem to recognise that I am using a compatible IE9. Strange.

2) The post that I put on the "auto remove idle players" simply said that in my opinion this feature should be restricted to table hosts. It is only when the host is "idle" that anyone has any problems whatsoever. Otherwise the non-idle host is perfectly capable of taking the appropriate action.

3) I would prefer it if the user could go to a site menu/index that shows all news items including older ones that have since scrolled off the latest 9-odd news items. They are still there to be viewed if you happen to have recorded the URL while it was current, so why limit viewing to those who took the trouble to bookmark or note the URL before it scrolls off? Then the News "flash" notification when logging in can contain at the top of it a link to the top-level menu, as well as listing the 9 most recent additions beneath.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is online   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:40

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-January-13, 03:06, said:

1) I use Internet Explorer version 9 by default. Never mind all the critics. It works for me. And until recently it has not caused me problems with BBO. But now when I click on a link to a News item, it tells me that I am not permitted to post a response because my browser is incompatible. To be compatible I need to use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or (wait for it) IE9. Well duh!

Anyway, I managed to post because I have got Chrome albeit not by default, and copied and pasted the URL to the news item. Sorted.

[EDIT] Just noticed, that the news item headed "auto remove idle players" displays this problem but the one immediately below it "7SXX - A Poem by Tristesa" does not, but does seem to recognise that I am using a compatible IE9. Strange.

2) The post that I put on the "auto remove idle players" simply said that in my opinion this feature should be restricted to table hosts. It is only when the host is "idle" that anyone has any problems whatsoever. Otherwise the non-idle host is perfectly capable of taking the appropriate action.

3) I would prefer it if the user could go to a site menu/index that shows all news items including older ones that have since scrolled off the latest 9-odd news items. They are still there to be viewed if you happen to have recorded the URL while it was current, so why limit viewing to those who took the trouble to bookmark or note the URL before it scrolls off? Then the News "flash" notification when logging in can contain at the top of it a link to the top-level menu, as well as listing the 9 most recent additions beneath.

Thanks for the suggestions.We're investigating the IE9 issue, someone else complained about the same thing.

We keep a news archive here (not too pretty, so we won't link it in news as is but we'll think of a solution to show prev news items):
http://webutil.bridg...ews_taglist.php

#3 User is online   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-13, 04:54

I think we fixed the problem. Please try to click on news again and let me know if it works:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1429

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-January-13, 06:34

View Postdiana_eva, on 2013-January-13, 04:54, said:

I think we fixed the problem. Please try to click on news again and let me know if it works:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1429

Yup whatever you did solved it
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-January-13, 06:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2013-January-13, 04:40, said:

We keep a news archive here (not too pretty, so we won't link it in news as is but we'll think of a solution to show prev news items):
http://webutil.bridg...ews_taglist.php

Yup, see what you mean about the prettiness.

If it were tabulated so that you had as separate headers the post number and tag, so that you could sort by either by clicking on the relevant header, that would be cool.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users