Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO software comments Badly needed modifications

#1 User is offline   willnova 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-17, 12:28

I have taken the lessons at the acbl site that Fred Gitelman wrote. They are just excellent and the software written for the lessons is also excellent. I am always recommending them. So, I am puzzled as to why the software at BBO is so astonishingly poor. The site attracts a large number of players, many of whom are very capable players, yet none seem to be critical of the software limitations.
I would like to see an open discussion for improvements. I could make many myself, but I will just make one in the opening discussion. Before I make it I will make one other related comment: it is, that I have never been asked, by obviously capable players, what is my carding, yet it represents 50% of the hands to be played. Also, they seldom avail themselves of the CC option that is offered.
My first suggestion is to remove the current size limition on the profile description, so as to allow more information to be given. It surely is critical when playing with a new partner, as is often the case, to get a quick understanding of both conventions and carding that will be used to provide essential information required for the successful play of the hands.

Ron W. willnova

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-18, 12:07

So do you think it would help if BBO introduced, say, a chat feature where people could write messages to one another about things like which carding they prefer?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-18, 14:45

View Postwillnova, on 2013-January-17, 12:28, said:

I have taken the lessons at the acbl site that Fred Gitelman wrote. They are just excellent and the software written for the lessons is also excellent. I am always recommending them. So, I am puzzled as to why the software at BBO is so astonishingly poor. The site attracts a large number of players, many of whom are very capable players, yet none seem to be critical of the software limitations.
I would like to see an open discussion for improvements. I could make many myself, but I will just make one in the opening discussion. Before I make it I will make one other related comment: it is, that I have never been asked, by obviously capable players, what is my carding, yet it represents 50% of the hands to be played. Also, they seldom avail themselves of the CC option that is offered.
My first suggestion is to remove the current size limition on the profile description, so as to allow more information to be given. It surely is critical when playing with a new partner, as is often the case, to get a quick understanding of both conventions and carding that will be used to provide essential information required for the successful play of the hands.

Ron W. willnova

HI Ron, welcome to the Forums.

This sub-forum is the right place to suggest improvements for the software. Before posting run a search through existing discussions - it is possible that some of the ideas you have in mind have already been discussed here.

Increase number of characters in profile
Profile and music
Players profile

etc.

#4 User is offline   willnova 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-18, 18:24

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-18, 12:07, said:

So do you think it would help if BBO introduced, say, a chat feature where people could write messages to one another about things like which carding they prefer?

A chat feature already exists and I often state up front my carding. Also, I will read partners profile and a make a quick comment if appropiate.
But, a chat feature is not the solution, because one does not have the time to type an adequate profile. One can read so much more quickly.
The solution is to provide more space for a profile, and to encourage the use of a CC which is currently made available.

There are many features that would make this site more functional. Time is of the essence it seems, both in trying to find a spot to play, and at the table. So,when one clicks to get the players profile, let a second click in the same location immediately close the profile, do not require the mouse to move across the screen to close it. Another, basic requirement is to be able to clear the previous scores: this should be done simultaneously when one resets the score on the playing screen. There are dozens of items like this that should be attended to.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users