BBO Discussion Forums: Various decisionable questions from EBU easter congress part 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Various decisionable questions from EBU easter congress part 1 Bidding judgement

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-04, 13:30

[ETA - Questions split into multiple threads per gszes' suggestion]

Got a number of board requiring judgement of the BBO court from the EBU easter congress (all teams IMP scoring). You're S where relevant.

1)

Q92
AKQJ
KT985

Third in, at red, you hear Pass 4H.

X just shows 'values' with no specific agreement about whether it's takeout or penalty oriented.

Do you X? Do you believe in having such an agreement at this level? Would you X if you'd agreed it was
a) Takeout oriented
b) Penalty oriented
?

2)

E deals (NS vul) and opens, and the constructive sequence goes

1N* 2C
2H 4H

* 15-17

You hold

K84
T74
Q76
AT74

What do you lead?

3) Simple judgment Q:

A
KTxx
Q9xx
AK8x

At red, P opens a regular weak 2S, passed to you. Do you invite, pass, or other?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-04, 14:34

impossible to have realistic discussions about each subject when we have to answer this way all at
once (not to mention the pain to the bbo peeps trying to supply answers. Take the time to
keep it down to 2 (I even hate 3) hands for each question come up with a catchy title

"more high JINKS Yo 1" for example that way you can keep track of the number of posts if u want

there is some good material here make it easier for everyone else to answer/read

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 00:29

1) If we were playing takeout doubles, double would be obvious. A non-specific "values" double presumably covers a spectrum that includes all takeout doubles, so I'd still double in your methods. I don't know how partner is supposed to judge what to do opposite this double, but luckily that's not my problem.

I wouldn't make a penalty double because I have no reason to think 4 is going down.

2) A trump, because it may do some good and anything else is quite dangerous.

3) I'd pass playing a normal English style of weak twos, because game needs all of a maximum, good trumps, and a favourable layout of the opposing cards. For example, KQJxxx xx Kxx xx is a decent game, but it's not cold. Change J to 10 and game is poor. Take away K and we're in trouble at the three-level.

4) I agree with gszes: put them in separate threads.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-05, 03:20

1. I prefer to play negative doubles through 4, so I would X if having this agreement. Making a penalty double is nonsense.

2. A trump, not close.

3. Close, depends on partners style. If we agreed to play sound weak 2's first seat red I would invite, otherwise pass.

#5 User is offline   ewj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-05, 13:08

1. I doubled, playing it as take-out orientated. It's dangerous of course, opposite a passed partner and with only 3 spades. Justin Hackett who was in my seat at the other table in our matchpassed.
If you double, partner bids 4S and LHO doubles, you've got a bit of a decision about whether to sit it or not.

2. Trump...I like leading passively and don't want to lead from Kxx or Qxx....or away from an ace...

3. Reasonably clear to pass I think...

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-April-05, 15:13

1. I doubled, playing it as take-out orientated. I would not play a 'values' double unless I'd agreed on what sort of hands partner would bid, but without discussion I probably would make a 'values' double. I wouldn't double for penalties.
At our table LHO also doubled 4S; it's obvious to stand it (IMO), pulling is crazy. (Mind you, the double of 4S was even more crazy: it had two defensive tricks opposite a pre-empt)

2. I admit I would probably lead a trump. My expert teammates, who had this hand at the table, led a spade. Our non-expert opponents led a diamond (albeit on a very slightly different auction).

3. Pass is completely clear. Game needs an enormous hand.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 18:10

1. It is indeed possible for us to have game-- there is also a strong probability
that p does not have long/strong spades since they failed to open 2/3 spades.

The question is --- at unfavorable, is there sufficient hope for game and does the reward
of a tox here outweigh the risks? we may have game if p is near max for their passed hand
and if they are near bottom we face a huge penalty. At this point it is not even impossible
they may make 6h. We are generally slated for somewhere between +100 to -450 if we pass

if we bid +620 to -1400. Disgression seems to be the right course here

PASS

2. a small trump There is no reason to suspect leading from our honors will benefit the defense. Leading a trump
very unlikely to cost us a trick and could be beneficial if the opps could cross trump.

3. this problem depends on how strong your agreements are for weak 2 bids at unfavorable in 1st/2nd seat. I will
generally have at a minimum KQJTxx OR KQTxxxx and can have another honor. Using my standards
I have to invite.

#8 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2013-April-05, 19:04

Jinksy, on 2013-April-04, 13:30, said:

[ETA - Questions split into multiple threads per gszes' suggestion]

Got a number of board requiring judgement of the BBO court from the EBU easter congress (all teams IMP scoring). You're S where relevant.

1)

Q92
AKQJ
KT985

Third in, at red, you hear Pass 4H.

X just shows 'values' with no specific agreement about whether it's takeout or penalty oriented.

Do you X? Do you believe in having such an agreement at this level? Would you X if you'd agreed it was
a) Takeout oriented
b) Penalty oriented
?

I double. This is T/O without alternative, even if the opening bid was 4.

2)

E deals (NS vul) and opens, and the constructive sequence goes

1N* 2C
2H 4H

* 15-17

You hold

K84
T74
Q76
AT74

What do you lead?

As I am leading into the strong hand and partner doesn't seem to be rich, I'll try a trump.

3) Simple judgment Q:

A
KTxx
Q9xx
AK8x

At red, P opens a regular weak 2S, passed to you. Do you invite, pass, or other?

3NT sounds good to me. Partner's suit should be good (KQT 6th + entry) so we have a decent chance of 6, 2 and partner's entry.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-06, 05:49

FrancesHinden, on 2013-April-05, 15:13, said:

2. I admit I would probably lead a trump. My expert teammates, who had this hand at the table, led a spade. Our non-expert opponents led a diamond (albeit on a very slightly different auction).

Do you know their reasoning? Like everyone else here I led a trump, and (for others' benefit) a S lead was the only way to set it.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-April-07, 16:57

Jinksy, on 2013-April-06, 05:49, said:

Do you know their reasoning? Like everyone else here I led a trump, and (for others' benefit) a S lead was the only way to set it.

A different auction. 1H (4 card majors, weak NT) - 2D - 2NT - 4H

#11 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2013-April-07, 20:13

1) Double, general values, no clear direction.
2) Trump lead. Be passive. And count points!
3) 16 points and a trump. Rule of 17 users would move. I do not. Count your tricks. Can it equal ten? Pard would need one very specific hand and he/she never has that. Pass, and let them come in so you can smack them.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users