• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One I missdefended against Zia

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-06, 15:08

I led 4 suposedly third and 5th, partner played J and Zia won the Ace.

Next came J, covered, dummy won the ace and partner played 3 (standard carding)

Q is played from dummy next, plan your defence.

#2 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-July-06, 17:29

Spoiler

From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-07, 01:34

My guess is that partner has Q and maybe J. I think our best chance to defeat this contract is T or J (or even the Q). I'll give him some losing options by playing A followed by T, showing him trumps don't split. This way a possible finesse may look very attractive considering that he may still have a loser he has to get rid of.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 06:41

Win and play another spade. Seems odd that he played a trump at all, but whatever - he likes to feel his way through the first few tricks. I'm happy to draw trumps, but I do not expect him to play a second trump himself, since I'm bound to have given something away.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-July-07, 10:51

I think its unlikely declarer has 3H, because it means that he would likely have Qx in D and would play low D to Q instead of pulling trumps.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-July-07, 14:52

I missanalyzed this one, contract is totally safe regardless of what you do now.

I ducked (slowly) and then Zia made an interesting play I'd like you to analyce:

After winning Q Zia played a diamond towards the Jack, probably he already suspects m partner is incapable of putting the queen unless he has the other 2 diamonds hidden behind another card, this play succeed just as well as any other, he cross ruffed 10 tricks quickly.

I don't remember making this play ever, but I have seen it on books, I'd like to understand it fully, what is the logic behind it?, obviously if I had AQ it would fail misserably, but my partner is capable of raising with the ace for no reason, so all in all it looks like a winner...

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 18:21

Looks as if you can win the first spade and switch to a diamond spot, putting Zia to a similar guess but with different information to go on.

Was there any significance to partner's club spot?
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-08, 03:57

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-07, 14:52, said:

After winning Q Zia played a diamond towards the Jack, probably he already suspects m partner is incapable of putting the queen unless he has the other 2 diamonds hidden behind another card, this play succeed just as well as any other, he cross ruffed 10 tricks quickly.

I don't remember making this play ever, but I have seen it on books, I'd like to understand it fully, what is the logic behind it?, obviously if I had AQ it would fail misserably, but my partner is capable of raising with the ace for no reason, so all in all it looks like a winner...

It's only a disaster if you have AQ and spades are 4-1.

He may have been trying to cater for layouts where you had A10x and AQ were offside. If he ruffs two clubs in dummy before drawing any more trumps, you may get a promotion. If he leads another high spade from dummy you can play a third spade, so he's off if AQ are offside. If he leads a spade to the king and trumps are 4-1, he's really badly placed.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-08, 11:48

Couldn't North figure it out when South takes A followed by T? After all, South has shown K and A, no other honors in the black suits, and should have 10-12HCP. Depending on the information that 4 suggests (which has turned into 5 in the full hand) North could possibly reason that South has 3-5HCP in , which can't be anything else than the A.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-July-08, 15:40

not this north, and Zia knew it

#11 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-July-10, 18:12

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-07, 14:52, said:

I missanalyzed this one, contract is totally safe regardless of what you do now.

I ducked (slowly) and then Zia made an interesting play I'd like you to analyce:

How did the 5 and 4 switch hands?
Against Zia, you needed to open lead the 8
to have any chance of beating him.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users