• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reconciling two laws everywhere

#41 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-23, 11:01

View Postcampboy, on 2013-July-23, 10:44, said:

You don't need law 16D2, though, since the second sentence of 25A4 covers that. IMO the fact that 25A4 says what it does, rather than referring to 16D, suggests that unintended caller is not an offender.

I think it just suggests it is a PITA to bounce back and forth between sections, so they decided to stick in the 2nd sentence of 25A4 for convenience.

Edit: Furthermore, 16D2 addresses information from the withdrawn call itself ---which would just confuse the issue. It is authorized information to everyone that the guy was clumsy.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2013-July-23, 11:14

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#42 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-July-23, 11:24

View Postcampboy, on 2013-July-23, 10:44, said:

You don't need law 16D2, though, since the second sentence of 25A4 covers that. IMO the fact that 25A4 says what it does, rather than referring to 16D, suggests that unintended caller is not an offender.

Sorry, I seem to be guilty of not reading the laws. I guess Law 25A4 was new in 2007. We had to the argue that the inadvertent caller was the offending side under the previous laws to make LHO's call unauthorised.

It is interesting to read the corresponding Law 45C4(b) for an unintended designation in playing cards (from dummy, usually). Here there is a reference to Law 16D but only to Law 16D1 - suggesting there is no offending side and the card played next in rotation (after the unintended designation and before the correction, and then withdrawn) is authorised to declarer (the unintended designator).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#43 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-24, 03:31

View PostVampyr, on 2013-July-22, 10:51, said:

LOL you are correct obviously.

What is the right verb?

#44 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-24, 06:29

View Postcloa513, on 2013-July-24, 03:31, said:

What is the right verb?

I think that what you wanted was "appropriate".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#45 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-24, 07:53

View PostVampyr, on 2013-July-24, 06:29, said:

I think that what you wanted was "appropriate".

Or "usurp".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#46 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-24, 19:49

I'd go with "usurp". Or "assume".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#47 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 01:47

A simple (and I believe common) situation is that when the Director has not been called by any of the players when they became aware of an irregularity and this eventually resulted in "trouble" he will deny NOS any redress (Law 11A) and take any gain obviously (or there will be lack of evidence) gained by OS away from them.

Most times that means just let the table result stand.

#48 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-25, 02:15

View Postpran, on 2013-July-25, 01:47, said:

A simple (and I believe common) situation is that when the Director has not been called by any of the players when they became aware of an irregularity and this eventually resulted in "trouble" he will deny NOS any redress (Law 11A) and take any gain obviously (or there will be lack of evidence) gained by OS away from them.

I think that's usually OK as long as it's the failure to call the director that results in trouble. If the irregularity itself caused the trouble, and calling the director at the time would have made no difference, the director should rule as though he had been called at the proper time.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#49 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 02:56

View Postpran, on 2013-July-25, 01:47, said:

Most times that means just let the table result stand.

You seem to have in mind that play may proceed to a conclusion without intervention, but you hvae been called because one side now feels that they would have done better if they had asserted their rights at the time. That can be one kind of "trouble".
However "trouble" may mean that play is now in an irregular condition and something needs to be fixed, but because it wasn't fixed immediately you are now off-piste as far as a lawbook ruling is concerned. Not acting is now not an option, but because you are off-piste you have a choice to make in terms of the balance of advantage of the ruling you make.
In terms of that balance of advantage, or indeed if the hand has proceeded to a conclusion, you need to consider if damage was really self-inflicted: sometimes one of the two sides has been taken advantage of by the other, for example by acting with apparent authority or making misleading comments - and it can be either OS or NOS.

#50 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 06:13

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-July-25, 02:56, said:

You seem to have in mind that play may proceed to a conclusion without intervention, but you hvae been called because one side now feels that they would have done better if they had asserted their rights at the time. That can be one kind of "trouble".
However "trouble" may mean that play is now in an irregular condition and something needs to be fixed, but because it wasn't fixed immediately you are now off-piste as far as a lawbook ruling is concerned. Not acting is now not an option, but because you are off-piste you have a choice to make in terms of the balance of advantage of the ruling you make.
In terms of that balance of advantage, or indeed if the hand has proceeded to a conclusion, you need to consider if damage was really self-inflicted: sometimes one of the two sides has been taken advantage of by the other, for example by acting with apparent authority or making misleading comments - and it can be either OS or NOS.

"Most times" when TD is eventually called, but too late related to when attention was called to the irregularity, play will either be completed or it is possible to Complete play somehow.

In the few remaining situations TD must of course make the best out of it, but IMHO his concern will still be the same:

The players have avoided their obligation to call the director, now they will have to live with the situation and a warning to remember calling the Director in due time.

#51 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-25, 10:49

View Postpran, on 2013-July-25, 06:13, said:

"Most times" when TD is eventually called, but too late related to when attention was called to the irregularity, play will either be completed or it is possible to Complete play somehow.........
(Snipped)
The players have avoided their obligation to call the director, now they will have to live with the situation and a warning to remember calling the Director in due time.

Yes. Experienced players who make a conscious decision to delay or avoid calling the director immediately are also deciding they will be able to live with the situation. This includes confidence that the TD will be able to see what has happened and apply the laws equitably. If he instead chooses to convolute matters because we didn't call immediately, we must live with that (and his warning) as well.

I will personally rein in Partner, if he/she is unwilling to live with the consequences of our abdication.

#52 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-25, 10:59

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-July-25, 10:49, said:

I will personally reign in Partner,

The usual preposition that follows "reign" is "over".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#53 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-25, 11:06

View PostVampyr, on 2013-July-25, 10:59, said:

The usual preposition that follows "reign" is "over".

fixed

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users