#1 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-October-07, 02:22

Yesterday I saw that my excel queries not working properly. Second
query have not returns the results but the special BBO screen instead:
"Something went wrong! Oops !"
But it is not only query problem. :o
It is link to boards one of the tournaments: http://www.bridgebas...386-1380999715-
Pls try this with Ctrl. Then with Ctrl button link to all the boards. Have you got all results or many screens "Something went wrong!Oops" insteed ? TY.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-07, 08:49

We're investigating. I click on a board, and the first time I get the Oops page, then I try again a few seconds later and I get the traveller.

#3 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-07, 09:06

We've deployed rate-limiting on some of our web pages to protect the servers from over-aggressive queries against our hand archives.

Humans don't rate to be affected. Is it possible you could slow down the rate at which the queries bang on the URLs?

As an aside, what's the purpose of the excel queries? Could we service whatever the need is directly on our website?

uday

#4 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-October-08, 03:45

View Postuday, on 2013-October-07, 09:06, said:

We've deployed rate-limiting on some of our web pages to protect the servers from over-aggressive queries against our hand archives.

Humans don't rate to be affected. Is it possible you could slow down the rate at which the queries bang on the URLs?

As an aside, what's the purpose of the excel queries? Could we service whatever the need is directly on our website?

uday

It's bad idea. Slow down the pace ONLY if the server stability is threatened. In this case i need only 15 boards and i enjoyed.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-October-08, 10:01

View PostLelos80te, on 2013-October-08, 03:45, said:

It's bad idea. Slow down the pace ONLY if the server stability is threatened. In this case i need only 15 boards and i enjoyed.

Which is exactly what was happening -- some automated code (maybe bboskill.com) was sending a high volume of requests.

It's intended for use by hand by humans, and the rate limit should not interfere with that.

#6 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-October-08, 10:40

View Postbarmar, on 2013-October-08, 10:01, said:

It's intended for use by hand by humans, and the rate limit should not interfere with that.

I want to play better and therefore analyze my hands. To do it well I must to know the results at the other tables. Excel helps me with this. If a tournament has 15 boards I have to go to them (perform 15 queries). The rest will do my computer and personally I

Which is exactly what was happening -- some automated code (maybe bboskill.com) was sending a high volume of requests.

please , stoop !!!

#7 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-October-11, 02:41

Is not it true, that a single query to the archive is exactly the same as clicking the mouse button obtain one screen with tournament or player results ?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-October-11, 09:31

I'm not sure quite what you're asking. Bringing up your results for a single tourney or for a time range is one request, and then each time you click on "Traveller" it's another request.

We've increased the threshold in the rate limiting. If you send the requests 5 seconds apart, you should be OK. This means that downloading 15 results will take a little over a minute. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-October-11, 11:36

Early each month I used to download the previous month's worth of hands that I have played, from MyHands into Bridge Captain's double dummy solver. I did not realise that this might be antisocial. Should I expect this practice to be prevented now? If so it is a shame. Given that hands expire from MyHands after a couple of months, it would be a valuable service to the members if they were able to keep their own archives "off the grid". If it is simply a matter of cost, what sort of price would we be talking about to enable this facility to remain?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-October-11, 16:15

View Postbarmar, on 2013-October-11, 09:31, said:

I'm not sure quite what you're asking. Bringing up your results for a single tourney or for a time range is one request, and then each time you click on "Traveller" it's another request.

We've increased the threshold in the rate limiting. If you send the requests 5 seconds apart, you should be OK. This means that downloading 15 results will take a little over a minute. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I see that we agree that clicking on a link or query from excel are the same.

But I want to remind that there are two types of queries.

The first may be called rapid. Through "recent tournaments", we want to see the results of the tournament , or take a look at the tables in a particular board. When we ask server we usually get data on our browser immediately. In Poland or in India. But the distance isn't short. How is this possible ? BBo server knows tournament number board number and is already sending data . I think that he is able to handle 10,000 such requests per second . But do not be surprised for me it was 1,000,000 .

But there are slow queries yet type "username =" of Myhands . Enter nickname, one month and begin to count... 121, 122 , 123 got results ! This means that the query costs 30,000 times more !
Request type "username =" is expensive even for two days requires much more work the server!

I think if someone was able to delay the server so only through slow queries. This type of query can be restricted !

Generally. First detection then restrictions. Not vice versa.

Withdraw please!

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-October-12, 20:26

Our servers make extensive use of caching for recent queries. At the end of a tourney, all the players perform similar lookups, and the server caches these results in memory so there's not as much activity on the database server from all of them. But older results are not in memory, and doing lots of lookups makes the database do more work.

We've made some performance improvements in myhands as a result of these issues. I just asked it for 1 month of results, it took less than 5 seconds (it used to be over 30) for about 100 tourneys. Our concern isn't that lookup of all hands at once, it's when you click on Traveller or Movie in rapid succession for each of them. All those separate requests add up.

If there's enough demand for it, and you can specify a set of data you need that's not too difficult to generate, we might offer a facility to download all the results at once into a spreadsheet.

#12 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-October-13, 02:49

View Postbarmar, on 2013-October-12, 20:26, said:

... and you can specify a set of data you need that's not too difficult to generate, we might offer a facility to download all the results at once into a spreadsheet.

I think it's a waste of time for you and ... for me and unnecessary annoy a few ambitious players (although it may make sense for 1eyedjack)

When I started this topis and got a negative response from you, I wanted to get an opinion from a friend player about restrictions
I ask him how often enters Myhands to analyze hands. Answer: "never lol" (5000 logins from September 2010, TD), I think is typical online player (but it is not for the active members of this forum).

I think I know the problem of poor performance, which causes the server to lack of time for other tasks, so that they gain the rank of the problem. It is becoming increasingly massive use of the feature GIB by the users during the game.

When I came to your restrictions i stopped taking part in the tournaments. I still wait for October 25 (i have played a 100 tournaments from April 25). If that does not work I will not be coming here more.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-October-13, 11:55

View PostLelos80te, on 2013-October-13, 02:49, said:

I think it's a waste of time for you and ... for me and unnecessary annoy a few ambitious players (although it may make sense for 1eyedjack)

I don't actually ask for any additional facilities that are not already available. Bridge Captain's DDS does everything that I require of it. All that I would want is the facility to remain available as currently so, to download a month into a pbn file.

Just now checking I see that I can (currently) still do this. Long may it continue.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-October-15, 08:59

View PostLelos80te, on 2013-October-13, 02:49, said:

I think I know the problem of poor performance, which causes the server to lack of time for other tasks, so that they gain the rank of the problem. It is becoming increasingly massive use of the feature GIB by the users during the game.

FYI, GIB doesn't run on the database server.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users