Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lightner Lament

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-17, 10:52

The Lightner double was first introduced to call for an unusual lead against slam and the idea is clearly theoretically sound, occasionally giving up the chance to collect a penalty that would have been larger on a normal lead in favour of defeating a slam when the normal lead would not work.

However I think it was Terrence Reese who once suggested that so many disasters had resulted from the convention that it might well have proved to be a net loss since its conception.

Bear that in mind when observing the following deal.

West chooses to make a Lightner double asking partner to lead clubs, dummy's first bid suit. It's a medium-sized Matchpoint field and 7NT is likely to be a top anyway on this...imaginative auction. The 2 is duly led.

Can you see what is about to happen?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-December-17, 11:02

west is about to discard, right?
Become yourself.

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-December-17, 11:07

sure, double squeeze around hearts, assuming the K of diamonds is onside.

For the line to work, you have to read the position, and the K of clubs has to be offside, but its by far the best odds.
Chris Gibson

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-17, 11:12

The normal line would probably be to hook the diamond Queen, play the diamond Ace (checking for Kx onside and removing that card from Dummy), and then running the spades, playing for either a simple club hook or possibly some sort of squeeze in the remaining three suits.

With the club lead, that line is gone. So, instead you are forced to hop the club Ace and then run the spades, cash the heart Ace, and hope for the diamond Kx to be onside (which would have worked anyway) or for the diamond King onside but only East protecting hearts. If East started with the diamond King plus KQJ in hearts, or the diamond King plus any six hearts, the lead forces a line that works but that would have failed on the normal line.

I think that's what happens.

Or, maybe CSG's line is better...

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 11:24

On the general subject, Sartaj Hans over at Bridgewinners advocates not making Lightner doubles of 7suit contracts, on the theory that they too often push the opps out of a doomed contract into a better 7NT; he says his partnerships try for a ruff against suit grand slams even in the absence of a double.

Shortly after Hans posted an article on the topic, he was on Vugraph in the Lightner-double seat with a void against a suit grand slam. He did not double, partner did not lead his long suit for a ruff, and one of the VG commentators expressed amusement at the whole thing.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#6 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 12:32

Why would you make a lightner double with a king against 7N? To ensure that declarer will not finesse the suit but try something else?

For the lead to matter, it has to remove an entry or kill a squeeze, kudos if that was visualized during the bidding, otherwise a lightner double is just plain stupidity, since it could only help declarer.
Michael Askgaard

#7 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 12:34

GreenMan, on 2013-December-17, 11:24, said:

On the general subject, Sartaj Hans over at Bridgewinners advocates not making Lightner doubles of 7suit contracts, on the theory that they too often push the opps out of a doomed contract into a better 7NT; he says his partnerships try for a ruff against suit grand slams even in the absence of a double.

Shortly after Hans posted an article on the topic, he was on Vugraph in the Lightner-double seat with a void against a suit grand slam. He did not double, partner did not lead his long suit for a ruff, and one of the VG commentators expressed amusement at the whole thing.

Maybe Sartaj didn't play with Tony Nunn and forgot to tell his new partner, that he should always try go give a ruff against 7 of a suit, because there will be no lightner double coming.
Michael Askgaard

#8 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 12:36

mfa1010, on 2013-December-17, 12:34, said:

Maybe Sartaj didn't play with Tony Nunn and forgot to tell his new partner, that he should always try go give a ruff against 7 of a suit, because there will be no lightner double coming.

I think he was playing with Peter Gill, but I don't trust my memory on that.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#9 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 14:29

GreenMan, on 2013-December-17, 12:36, said:

I think he was playing with Peter Gill, but I don't trust my memory on that.

I saw from the results from Phoenix that those two were partnering, so if the board is from there, it was very likely Peter Gill.

After Sartaj's entertaining article on BW I would not ever dare not leading my longest against a grand slam, if I were Sartaj's partner. :)
Michael Askgaard

#10 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 14:43

mfa1010, on 2013-December-17, 14:29, said:

I saw from the results from Phoenix that those two were partnering, so if the board is from there, it was very likely Peter Gill.

After Sartaj's entertaining article on BW I would not ever dare not leading my longest against a grand slam, if I were Sartaj's partner. :)

:) It was before Phoenix, that big Australian teams event a month or so ago (GNOT?).

#11 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 14:44

Anyway, back to the original subject, kenrexford's analysis looks right to me, but I'd like to hear more. :)

#12 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 14:57

GreenMan, on 2013-December-17, 14:43, said:

:) It was before Phoenix, that big Australian teams event a month or so ago (GNOT?).

It's likely to be from the Spring Nationals in Sydney. Sartaj wasn't at the GNOT, as far as I can tell.

#13 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 15:57

I'm going with CSGibson, East having KQ of hearts too.
Wayne Somerville

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 16:40

It was a psychic Lightner: Declarer went up Ace and tried to run the heart double squeeze. West takes the diamond K, and returns a club to the K for -2. 6NT is cold across the room, making +1 when declarer tries the club hook and squeeze from there.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 12:03

Chris G et al. have it with the double squeeze of the non-simultaneous variety. You are cold on the lead if the K is onside. Cash your spades, East must guard D and abandon Hearts. Then cash QA and West must keep that fatal K, also abandoning hearts. You then have the A back to the long hearts.

The point being of course, that almost any other lead will set the contract because it breaks up the communication for the double squeeze. You have to cash the club Ace first for timing and the only way you can do that is if it's led.

It's not clear what East would have led without the double (he had KJ...) But to think the doubler thought he was attracting a safe lead!

So another Lightner disaster but a slightly more unusual one.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users