Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is happening here

#1 User is offline   Oddie77 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-16, 11:54

Does the final pass by west suggest a misunderstanding or more likely passing play to east?

If it is passing play to east, what type of hand would you expect west to have.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-16, 12:22

Oddie77, on 2014-March-16, 11:54, said:

Does the final pass by west suggest a misunderstanding or more likely passing play to east?

It suggests to me that he's not sure what double would mean here, and wouldn't want East to take it out if he did double (he did pass 2X for penalties).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-16, 14:23

You are always going to double 3 here and it doesn't matter who does it. However, with Ken Rexford I play that in this situation a double by West would mean that I will make a Rusinoff or Lavinthal lead (or Ace asks count) while a pass would mean that my lead would be in accordance with our normal system.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 09:17

It depends a little bit on the level of play. At lower levels West's second pass could well just mean that they were stuck for a call and not knowing what else to do decided to pass. In that case the third pass is a warning that the opps might well make it.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is online   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 18:42

helene_t, on 2014-March-16, 14:23, said:

You are always going to double 3 here and it doesn't matter who does it. However, with Ken Rexford I play that in this situation a double by West would mean that I will make a Rusinoff or Lavinthal lead (or Ace asks count) while a pass would mean that my lead would be in accordance with our normal system.

Why? Seems inferior to standard. (Distinguishing between singleton and doubleton leads.)
Also, the unusual auction should call for the unusual lead, i.e. immediate double should say normal or non-singleton lead, why pass is a wake-up call (it's called 'wake-up call' rather than 'wake-up bid' for a reason) indicating a non-standard or singleton lead.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-17, 18:55

Oddie77, on 2014-March-16, 11:54, said:

I like Helene_t's suggestion that pass and double might have some Lighter-like significance (even although you are on-lead).
Alternatively, could you be be expressing lack of confidence in your original penalty pass?
e.g. 65432 J32 J32 Q2

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users