BBO Discussion Forums: r > g? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

r > g?

Poll: r > g? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

r > g?

1. Yes, of course (2 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. Probably yes (3 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. I don't know (4 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

4. Probably not (1 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. No, of course not (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. WTF are you talking about? (7 votes [41.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-May-09, 03:37

View PosthotShot, on 2014-May-09, 01:20, said:

I read that as: There is so much money around that some investors already don't know where to put it intelligently.
It would explain the recent economic crises like the mortgage crisis. Assuming there was more money to loan than what people were able to borrow and repay.
It would also explain why people invest into financial products (e.g. derivatives) that they don't understand.

There are some additional nuances that you might want to consider: Namely, if an investment portfolio becomes too large as a percentage of the market, it becomes almost impossible to beat the performance of the market.
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-May-09, 03:50

View Postgwnn, on 2014-May-09, 01:34, said:

The magenta stuff is interesting though :)

I think it is related to the fact that our "red" receptors have a second peak in the violet end of the spectrump, creating the illusion that red and violet are similar. But I don't claim to udnerstand it fully.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 06:09

View Postgwnn, on 2014-May-09, 01:34, said:

Why do you take the wavelength and not the frequency or the energy?

Hushhh... Quiet... You are making it so complicated that these financial guys can't follow us.

But I will explain it clearly: ">" means "larger than", right? So it needs to refer to something that has a "largeness" or size. A bag of money has a size. A bag with a billion dollar bills has a bigger size than a bag with a million dollar bills which again is larger than my wallet. A wave has a length, clearly a size. The length of the red waves is larger than the length of the green waves. Simple.

You now come and claim that a wave also has a frequency or even an "energy" (?! whatever ?!). That may or may not be true, but a frequency or energy doesn't have a size. You cannot take a frequency or an energy and put it next to a yardstick. Therefore, it cannot be larger or smaller. Which is why one obviously needs to take the wavelength and not this frequency or energy thingy. Duuhhh.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-May-09, 09:03

On the one hand you are right that they are larger but still purple photons have almost twice the value on the atomic market. So for economists g>r probably.

Mods could you split the off topic stuff and create a new thread on this? I'd like to learn more about magenta.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-May-09, 09:05

I nominate Rik for best hijack of 2014.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users